Anything needed other than R & P? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-03-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Anything needed other than R & P?

For a regear, all you need is the ring and pinion, front and rear, and someone to do the labor correct? I have not been able to find a definitive answer in regards to this on any forum.

By anything else, I mean new carrier, bearings, etc etc. that would be needed to get the job done.....thanks

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Usually overhaul kits are used to replace pinion and carrier bearings as well as seals. That is solely an option to the owner, some shops may not warranty the regear without them. Generally with much of any mileage you may as we replace them.

I believe there are regear kits that may just have pinion bearings, seals, and shims? I am not sure.

Also if removal of the stock pinion bearings doesn't go very smooth (press fit to install) you can have premature failure if they are reused The carrier bearings stay put unless a locker or different differential is installed.

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old 11-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Granite Guru

Master install kit would be ideal for each axle. Has all the bearings and seals. If it's brand new you can get away without replacing anything as long as you can get the bearings pulled, but for good measure, make sure it's all new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Yes, you need install kits. The are two kinds available an install and a master. The master also has bearings in it. Usually a jeep over 50K will need the master kit.

Edit: dammit I'm slow today. I would suggest the master just in case any items get damaged there will not be any more down time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #5 of 7 Old 11-03-2011, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

ok where can you get the complete package. Gears and install kit?

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #6 of 7 Old 11-03-2011, 09:23 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I can help you or there are lots of deals in the vendor section...

We all sell gears and install kits. If you're having a local shop do the install I would first recommend asking them what they prefer you bring them. You might find that the best deal is to have them do all the work and get you the parts.

There are shops around the nation offering deals for this kind of thing, do some homework in your home town.

Marcus

post #7 of 7 Old 11-04-2011, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I can help you or there are lots of deals in the vendor section...

We all sell gears and install kits. If you're having a local shop do the install I would first recommend asking them what they prefer you bring them. You might find that the best deal is to have them do all the work and get you the parts.

There are shops around the nation offering deals for this kind of thing, do some homework in your home town.

Marcus
I do only live about 10 minutes from rock krawler, maybe they would do the install for me or at least point me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode