Does anyone know what this is? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-03-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
BDK

Does anyone know what this is?

Been wondering what these two things are.

The green one is a button switch which when held down will turn on/off what ever it controls with an associated green light. It also has two small contacts and looks like an attachment can be hooked up.

I think the other one is the diagnostic plug, but I thought those were usually hidden more.

Sorry for the crappy pic

Thanks for any info!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-03-2011, 07:21 PM
JKO Addict!

The black one is the OBDII port. That other thing is aftermarket. You have anything aftermarket installed? Remote start maybe? That could be a valet switch.

See if you can follow those two wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-03-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
BDK

I figured the one is the diagnostic.

As for following wires, I did but they disappear beyond where I can follow them.

I bought it used. Its previous life was an RV tow behind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-03-2011, 07:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Mine had some dealy on it from the factory which was some dealer pre-alarm install kit or something. Had them remove it when I took it in for warranty the first time.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old 11-03-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
BDK

pre-alarm? did it look like the one in my pic?

Another alarm would really help me out, being that I don't lock it and leave the keys under the seat so I don't have to carry them in my pocket!
post #6 of 13 Old 11-03-2011, 08:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDK View Post

Another alarm would really help me out, being that I don't lock it and leave the keys under the seat so I don't have to carry them in my pocket!
Not identical but in the same location. It was some dealer installed option that you could pay extra for and they would activate it and give you fobs.

They never asked me if I wanted it. Probably because it's pretty pointless with manual locks. A

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-03-2011, 09:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

do you not care about your jeep? sheesh get a carabiner and clip it on a belt buckle

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #8 of 13 Old 11-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

LOL, free Jeep in CoCal if you can find it! Mine is parked inside under lock most of the time but when I'm on the road I'd like to have an alarm with a motion detector.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #9 of 13 Old 11-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Wheeler

the green switch almost looks like the ABS/esp/traction control kill switch mod. it's tough to tell for sure though. the purple wire is what's making me think that.

when you turn the switch on (or off) do you get any warning lights on the dash?
check to make sure the traction control lights still work. push the traction control button once to turn it off and you should get a light on the dash, push again to turn it back on and the light will go off.

if the green switch controls the abs/esp/traction control thing you'll get that light again (as well as two others)

Semper Fi
post #10 of 13 Old 11-05-2011, 07:21 PM
Wheeler

the wire i cut into to *mod* my JK.....

Semper Fi
post #11 of 13 Old 11-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Granite Guru

The green switch could be for a brake servo if it was used as a tow behind vehicle to activate the brakes from the tow vehicle? see if there is a trailer plug on the front of the jeep where they tied into the light's and brakes?
post #12 of 13 Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Rock God

Garage
Wink Not to Worry

Quote:

If what you say is true, then the chances are you will not have the jeep long enough for it to be a problem. Do you carry full coverage insurance?

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

In SoCal? Mine has 2 alarms, an auto tire deflater, the CLUB, bars on my windows, and I bury my keys (after I remove my winch) in the backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
I sometimes miss 70's bush
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode