JKOwners Forum banner

Installing Woods Drive Shafts

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  RubiRed Unlimited 
#1 ·
I'm trying to break loose the nuts on the pinion flanges and I can not get them to budge...Tried a 3/4" breaker bar with 2' of pipe to help assist and all I'm really doing is rolling the jeep forward and blowing out my back!!!...LOL

Any ideas?...Both air impact guns are 340ftlbs so now I'm thinking I may have to buy something a little bigger...Thanks for any help!!!

:beer:

#2 ·
Big chocks and e-brake. Put jack under bar/pipe use jack to turn wrench.

Sent from my little magic box.

#4 · (Edited)
I had the same issue on my front shaft when I did it. Here was my solution...use a hand held blow torch. They are fairly cheap at home depot. Light it up and het that bitch directly for about a minute or so to melt the Loctite they have on it. It will break free with a breaker bar right after. If it doesn't, you need more time on it with the torch. :beer: trust me. Been there, done that.

I tried the jack thing and the breaker bar with the ebrake on and some one standing on the foot brake...didn't even budge. Go with the torch.

#9 ·
I cooked that bitch for a good while, directly on the nut 9,000 miles ago and havent had a single problem with my pinion seal. I kept the flame small and payed attention to what I was heating, but it was fairly simple. :grinpimp:

#7 ·
The front one on the axle was the BITCH!!!...Borrowed a 780 impact from a friend and it still took some time to get it off but we got it...The rest came loose with just a breaker bar...Both are in and are great...No more "clicky clack" noise now!!!...LMAO

:beer::beer::beer::beer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.