Jeep rides horribly - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Jeep rides horribly

So I've had my 2-dr JK for almost 3 years now. The ride is finally getting to me. The thing bucks and porpoises like a lifted CJ-5 - no exaggeration. It's so bad that on concrete roads you can't even hold a conversation because it sounds like an opera rap, you can't keep your voice steady. The forward view actually gets hard to focus on because you are bouncing so much. It's BAD.

My setup is RK control arms (all 8) with Poly springs and Poly-branded Synergy shocks. The Poly springs generally ride better than any others, and the Poly-branded shocks aren't half-bad either when they are not either leaking like hell or breaking at the shock eye. I just don't understand why the ride is so bad....I do my work myself, so I know the toque values and geometry is correct. The Jeep is light, but even for a light Jeep it rides like ass.

Don't gimme the 'It's a Jeep thing, shoulda bought a Cadillac'. My daily driver is an MS3, in the past it's been an S2000, and I love rough-riding vehicles and cars more than squishy refined vehicles. But this is ridiculous, I'm getting tired of getting kicked in the back. Anyone else have this problem?

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Wheeler

I have a 2-dr 2007 and I have only noticed this problem on a particular stretch of highway on a roadtrip to Pennsylvania - my friend and I were actually laughing about the washboard ride because it was ridiculous like you describe; definitely the road and not the Jeep. Most of the time it's pleasantly compliant - not like my Benz was, for sure, but at least as good as the Mini Cooper S and on-par with my past Corvettes.

If you're sure the geometry is spot-on then maybe investigate different spring rates or shock firmness? (TBH I have no idea if Poly springs/shocks are available in different levels of firmness, and I don't know the fundamental differences between RK and stock arms.)
post #3 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 08:49 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

I'm guessing you've gone underneath and done the entire "torque to spec" checklist? And lowered the PSI in your tires to something less than what tire places recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
So I've had my 2-dr JK for almost 3 years now. The ride is finally getting to me. The thing bucks and porpoises like a lifted CJ-5 - no exaggeration. It's so bad that on concrete roads you can't even hold a conversation because it sounds like an opera rap, you can't keep your voice steady. The forward view actually gets hard to focus on because you are bouncing so much. It's BAD.

My setup is RK control arms (all 8) with Poly springs and Poly-branded Synergy shocks. The Poly springs generally ride better than any others, and the Poly-branded shocks aren't half-bad either when they are not either leaking like hell or breaking at the shock eye. I just don't understand why the ride is so bad....I do my work myself, so I know the toque values and geometry is correct. The Jeep is light, but even for a light Jeep it rides like ass.

Don't gimme the 'It's a Jeep thing, shoulda bought a Cadillac'. My daily driver is an MS3, in the past it's been an S2000, and I love rough-riding vehicles and cars more than squishy refined vehicles. But this is ridiculous, I'm getting tired of getting kicked in the back. Anyone else have this problem?
when you say it rides shitty. Is it just small bump compliance or everywhere it's too stiff?

do you have dual rate springs?

do you get much say around bends?

i'm asking because i'm wondering if you have dual rate springs, if your softer rate part has settled so now you're just riding on the stiffer part of the spring. It sounds like a spring/shock issue more than anything else.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #5 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Banned

What tires you got?
post #6 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 08:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Tire pressure and add weight I hate to say that but yeah when I got my lift it felt like a skateboard then I added the rear bumper got better added the front got better I guess my shocks and springs where maxed out and the extra weight push them down a little I know sounds weird does it drive better when you have a four people in it
post #7 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have the poly springs and shocks also. After I just dropped a bunch of weight off of the rear of my jeep the ride went to shit. The rear feels very stiff now where as it was it use to be very balance and comfortable. I've been thinking about swapping the rk 2.5" springs in to see if it makes any difference.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Got Procomp Xtreme MT 35s. Run them about 28 psi on the street. Torque specs verified. There is no sway to speak of, it handles notably better than it did stock (I have the roll centers raised, etc). Small bump compliance is also fairly good. Maybe rebound damping is a bit light?

Funny comment about the weight....it rode fine until I removed the RockHard bumpers from the Jeep and it consequently lost well over 300 pounds. I know that's part of it, but I'm not adding weight to it just for the ride. This thing can hardly get out of its own way at this altitude, and one of the reasons I took the bumpers off initially.

The front springs are 4" springs....the rear's are 3". That's what keeps it level. I can't help but think the market uses spring and damping rates tuned more for the 4-dr since that's what most people have and lift. Could be part of it....

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #9 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
I have the poly springs and shocks also. After I just dropped a bunch of weight off of the rear of my jeep the ride went to shit. The rear feels very stiff now where as it was it use to be very balance and comfortable. I've been thinking about swapping the rk 2.5" springs in to see if it makes any difference.
If you do this please let me know how it turns out....I want to improve the ride but I don't feel like spending the next year chasing down the right damping and spring rates....

-Milton Friedman
post #10 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Rock God

I have the RK progressive rate springs and Bilstein 5100 shocks.
No issues on long highway rides. My wife, who hates rough rides, loves the ride.
Tires are between 37 and 40 pounds. 37" TRXUS MT. the tires are rated to run at 65 pounds.
My JK also has about 300 to 400 pounds more steel added over stock weight. And it still has 6.5" more belly clearance than a stock 4 door Rubicon. 2.5 from lift, 2.5 from tires and 1.5" from the RROR skid plate kit.

It appears grok other comments that the consensus seems to be that more weight is better.

Sent from my DROID LXIX using tapakegga

Jeep Owner's Motto: Equipment Failure is an Excuse for Upgrade
post #11 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Rock God

Soft shocks and soft springs are the answer.

OME springs come in different rates and can be purchased for less than $165 shipped per pair--light, medium, or heavy duty. They tend to net about 3" on an unloaded JK, but you can add 0.5" or 1" coil spacers to even things out. The downside for the rear springs is they are a little wide in diameter, and RK wedges alone may not be enough for 2 dr trackbar clearance--you may need to weld on/rotate forward different rear lower coil perches.

OME shocks are soft. Skyjacker Hydros are even softer, but probably heat up on washboard roads--they are inexpensive. I've run both OME and SJ Hydros.

I really like my current Fox adjustable remote reservoir shocks, but they are pricey. Simply turning a dial on the top of the shocks adjusts the settings.

You might check your bushings to see if they are worn or twisted.

On a light 2 dr, skip progressive rate springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks planman....that's good to know. I've rotated my rear spring perches so I'm good to go there. The Poly shocks are pretty heavily damped, probably designed more for a loaded 4-door. I guess if I jettison that stuff and try out OME that may be a pretty safe and inexpensive experiment.

Bushings are all great.

I'm slowly replacing every bit of Poly componentry in my suspension for one reason or another - started out with a stage 3 kit, at this point I'm down to the track bars and bracketry. Hindsight.....

-Milton Friedman
post #13 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
I really like my current Fox adjustable remote reservoir shocks, but they are pricey. Simply turning a dial on the top of the shocks adjusts the settings.
Just curious what number you are running those on. I have mine set to 2 on a 4 door.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #14 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 09:51 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
Thanks planman....that's good to know. I've rotated my rear spring perches so I'm good to go there. The Poly shocks are pretty heavily damped, probably designed more for a loaded 4-door. I guess if I jettison that stuff and try out OME that may be a pretty safe and inexpensive experiment.

Bushings are all great.

I'm slowly replacing every bit of Poly componentry in my suspension for one reason or another - started out with a stage 3 kit, at this point I'm down to the track bars and bracketry. Hindsight.....
What happened to the control arms?
post #15 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
What happened to the control arms?
Umm, well....I got a set of the first-gen JK arms, with an open tube design. The slot for the pinch bolt allowed water into the arm which could not drain, and the arms were completely full of water and rusting from the inside out (they have since corrected this). I'm not an unreasonable guy, I know this stuff happens sometimes and I followed up. So I politely contacted Poly about it. To make a long story short, they took a long time to get back to me, gave me a piss-poor solution to the problem, and didn't even offer the updated replacement arms at cost or even for a discount (I would have just bought my replacements from them). This after spending almost 7k with them. IMO, bad customer service. So I said screw it and bought RK arms due to excellent customer service and a proven quality product. No love lost for Poly, still great products and great guys, just a lousy experience so I took my money elsewhere.

People here don't really like to hear that as Poly is one of the golden boys here, and it should be known that my experience was the exception and not the rule. But, once bitten...

-Milton Friedman
post #16 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAD Offroad View Post
Just curious what number you are running those on. I have mine set to 2 on a 4 door.
2 in the front and 4 for the rear on my 2 dr. Still playing with different combinations though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #17 of 17 Old 11-03-2011, 10:19 AM
JKO Addict!

My rk springs were awesome on my 2 door. And the coilovers were even better.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode