2012 Lift Kit vs. extended warranty - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 11-02-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2012 Lift Kit vs. extended warranty

Hey guys,
What lift kits out there for 2012 JKU Rubicons will not void a Chrysler service contract. I have a 7yr/100,00 mi. Lifetime powertrain extended warranty and do not want to void it. Also, does the lift I purchase have to be installed by a dealer? Any info on this topic would be great. I am looking at running 35"s and it is just bone stock right now. Heard alot of good about RK on here. I have read over my service contract and did not see anything relating to this but I also dont speak legalese! Help a fellow brother out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89yjkrawler View Post
Hey guys,
What lift kits out there for 2012 JKU Rubicons will not void a Chrysler service contract. I have a 7yr/100,00 mi. Lifetime powertrain extended warranty and do not want to void it. Also, does the lift I purchase have to be installed by a dealer? Any info on this topic would be great. I am looking at running 35"s and it is just bone stock right now. Heard alot of good about RK on here. I have read over my service contract and did not see anything relating to this but I also dont speak legalese! Help a fellow brother out!
This has been discussed many times and there is not a clear cut answer. It just depends on if your dealership is mod friendly.

08 jk unlimited X
1 ton axles
39.5 Iroks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 11-02-2011, 11:09 AM
Rock God

I've heard the Mopar lift is covered but I also know from experince that on a silverado no lift is covered. Depends on the dealer really but if you paid for that full warranty there is no telling they could say yes one day and no another. The only way to keep the warranty is to keep the Jeep stock that is the point of the warranty. Chrysler will not warranty your aftermarket suspension system and the geometric changes and "strain" it puts on the drive train.

I don't drink water; fish fuck in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Do you feel a desire to dance with other men while behind the wheel of the Prius?

Is it true the car only plays Village People music?

Does it have a light on the dash when you get near a gay bar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 11-02-2011, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I don't expect them to cover any of the aftermarket suspension that is installed, I just don't want a service mgr to say well since you have that lift we cannot cover the A/C Compressor.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Rock God

I'm sure you would be OK with something like that but if you can find a dealer that is Jeep friendly that would help a lot.

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #6 of 25 Old 11-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Granite Guru

Take it into the dealership for an oil change. Meet a service advisor and tell them you want them to handle all of your work personally. Ask the guy what kind of drink he likes. Next time you go in, take him a bottle of his favorite liquor or a six pack of his favorite brew. When you take it in for warranty work, he'll look out for you. I learned this from a buddy that used to manage several dealerships. I've had all sorts of things (bent tie rods, axle shafts, etc) covered by doing just that.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Take it into the dealership for an oil change. Meet a service advisor and tell them you want them to handle all of your work personally. Ask the guy what kind of drink he likes. Next time you go in, take him a bottle of his favorite liquor or a six pack of his favorite brew. When you take it in for warranty work, he'll look out for you. I learned this from a buddy that used to manage several dealerships. I've had all sorts of things (bent tie rods, axle shafts, etc) covered by doing just that.
That is some valuable advice right there! A little bit of old school bribery!!! May have to give that a shot!

I dont plan on going all huge and crazy just enough to be functional and still have road manners. I will just have to feel out my local guy and see the response i get.
post #8 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Yeah there is a big difference between dealerships. Some are better than others. But in a nut shell, they should cover anything that didn't fail due to your mods.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #9 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
... Lifetime powertrain extended warranty...
So the warranty is aftermarket? If so, the paper work should be in detail unlike the factory warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #10 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 01:31 AM
Granite Guru

Lifts will void the following parts of your 2012 service contract:

1. Everything on the drivetrain attached after the engine. So, axles, steering, all joints, wheel bearings, transfer cases, diffs, tranny and anything else that even remotely is affected by a change in suspension height. In other words, everything that makes the jeep expensive.

Don't count any of these things as covered. If it is covered, thank your dealer for not being hardasses. In fact, if I was a dickhead dealer, I would even argue that your lift caused vibrations in the driveline (even if you don't have any) that made your a/c compressor fail or any other part for that matter.

Good luck fighting the dealer (ie spending multi-thousands in $) in court regardless if they are right or wrong.

Of course I would never buy another vehicle from that dealership ever again and badmouth them for life, but it is possible.

2009 JKUR Auto
- HD Switchblade Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier
- ARB Deluxe Front Bumper
- Warn Powerplant HP (front) + Warn M8000 (rear)
- Benchmark Dual Battery w/ smart isolator
- Rockhard Skids + AEV Diff Slider + Kilby Shock Skids
- Wildboar Square Roofrack + Sidestep
- AEV 3.5" Premium lift + STOCK tires!

Last edited by turbomeister; 11-03-2011 at 01:41 AM.
post #11 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
So the warranty is aftermarket? If so, the paper work should be in detail unlike the factory warranty.
No, it is a Chrysler Service Contract.
post #12 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Rock God

I didn't bother with the extended warranty. I just assumed that what I planned to do to it would void it anyway.

Sent from my DROID LXIX using tapakegga

Jeep Owner's Motto: Equipment Failure is an Excuse for Upgrade
post #13 of 25 Old 11-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Granite Guru

I'm reminded of the ordeal the head dictator over at the other JK forum went through. I might have some of the details wrong, but basicially his Jeep was "blacklisted" by a dealer (without his knowledge) because it was modified, meaning his warranty was void no matter where he took it to have work done. He found out when he needed a cracked exhaust manifold replaced (a part completely unrelated to his mods, much like the A/C compressor example) but they refused. This kicks off a drawn-out fight with Chrysler Corporate, which he detailed for the world to see on his forum and other JK website. The story ends after several exchanges with someone very high-up the ladder at Chrysler, at which point the blacklist was lifted and his warranty honored.

I tend to think the results would have been different for someone who didn't have such a large podium from which to create bad PR for the Jeep brand, and the unlimited time and resources to do so.

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
budget boost, bilsteins, discos, 35's, 4.88's, and more issues than TV Guide
post #14 of 25 Old 11-04-2011, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Well it is making me kinda wish I had not purchased the warranty, but I guess I will keep my fingers crossed that my local dealer will be cool and cooperative. And....If the boys at Airpark install my lift for me maybe, just maybe, that will hold some weight! Maybe I need to call Jason and see what they can do down there. Just wish it weren't such a drive....
post #15 of 25 Old 11-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Maybe I need to call Jason and see what they can do down there. Just wish it weren't such a drive....
Well how do you think *I* feel! i was all set to fly to AZ to buy my next JK just because Airpark is mod-friendly.
Just wouldn't save any money after having to drive it back to NY, and would still have to deal with locals for warranty work.

My new JKU goes in for oil change/tire rotation Thursday. I'm going to talk to the repair manager (if I can) about my intention of lifting next year and see what he says.
post #16 of 25 Old 11-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Rock God

[QUOTE=Grimscale;955103]Well how do you think *I* feel! i was all set to fly to AZ to buy my next JK just because Airpark is mod-friendly.
Just wouldn't save any money after having to drive it back to NY, and would still have to deal with locals for warranty work.

Should be only $500 or so to ship back to you
post #17 of 25 Old 11-18-2011, 09:52 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Well it is making me kinda wish I had not purchased the warranty, but I guess I will keep my fingers crossed that my local dealer will be cool and cooperative. And....If the boys at Airpark install my lift for me maybe, just maybe, that will hold some weight! Maybe I need to call Jason and see what they can do down there. Just wish it weren't such a drive....
If you read in the service contract you can cancel it if it is paid in full by filling out the proper forms and recieve a refund of a portion of what you paid for it. Not a full refund but depending on how long you have had it a good portion of it from what I understand. You are supposed to be able to change the plan, either upgrade or downgrade plans and pay the difference or be refunded the difference. I am about to mod my rig and I am considering downgrading my MaxCare service contract or cancelling it all together for a refund here in the next couple of weeks.
post #18 of 25 Old 11-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Granite Guru

The Moss/Magnusson act protects you from exactly that. Dealerships cannot just blatantly deny a warranty claim. The burden of proof is on them, to prove your modification directly caused a problem. For example, if you install a cold air intake, and suck up water in a creek, grenading your motor, you are SOL, as the intake DIRECTLY caused the problem. However, if you have HIDs, and your rear diff blew, they cannot deny you coverage.

This does NOT mean however, that they won't try to, and you will need to lawyer up. You WILL win eventually, but it may be a hassle.
post #19 of 25 Old 11-18-2011, 10:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC View Post
The Moss/Magnusson act protects you from exactly that. Dealerships cannot just blatantly deny a warranty claim. The burden of proof is on them, to prove your modification directly caused a problem. For example, if you install a cold air intake, and suck up water in a creek, grenading your motor, you are SOL, as the intake DIRECTLY caused the problem. However, if you have HIDs, and your rear diff blew, they cannot deny you coverage.

This does NOT mean however, that they won't try to, and you will need to lawyer up. You WILL win eventually, but it may be a hassle.
Like how my Sony radio made my driveshaft boot tear on my liberty? Or how my lift made my water pump go out? Or how about my clutch fried my alternator?

sent from my otterbox'd jeep camera

check my site out

post #20 of 25 Old 11-18-2011, 10:28 PM
Granite Guru

Like I said, they will deny the claim assuming, that like 99% of people, you will not take it as far as getting a lawyer and fighting them.
post #21 of 25 Old 11-18-2011, 10:40 PM
Granite Guru

I always figured it it broke it was supposed to break and needed to be replaced with something that isn't going to break. And warranty, pfft only need that on a daily driver. I bought the jeep as a toy.
post #22 of 25 Old 11-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchurch View Post
I always figured it it broke it was supposed to break and needed to be replaced with something that isn't going to break. And warranty, pfft only need that on a daily driver. I bought the jeep as a toy.
Variation on the Jeep Owner's Motto: EQUIPMENT FAILURE IS AN EXCUSE FOR UPGRADE.

Sent from my DROID LXIX using tapakegga

Jeep Owner's Motto: Equipment Failure is an Excuse for Upgrade
post #23 of 25 Old 11-19-2011, 03:47 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Spend a little time getting to know the service writers and service manager. Have them tell you about the new dealership jeeps they lift.

My service manager told me it would be hard for them to sell a new lifted jeep if they had a reputation for not doing warranty repairs on a customer lifted Jeep.

I have the service contract for oil changes and other service with my dealer and I get their opinion on the different mods I plan on doing while getting the oil changed.

He has told me that my lift will not void my warranty.

I have the Rock Krawler 3.5" lift. A couple weeks ago we were wheeling an tore the front driveshaft boot. I talked to the service manager, told him what I was doing and what happened with the boot. He put me in a loaner jeep for 2-3 days. They replaced the front shaft, fixed a transmission leak and ordered a new seal for the top. All of this was done under warranty.

Bottom line- you need to get to know them and greet them as if they are your friend when you see them. If you do this when you are paying the for service work it will not seem fake to the when you greet them the same way when you NEED them.
post #24 of 25 Old 11-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Most dealers will work with you if you are not stupid. I put a combo lift on mine 2.5 suspension and a 1.25 body giving me 3.75 still keeps the warranty good.
post #25 of 25 Old 11-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Rock God

Also, some dealers are more friendly if you produce paperwork saying the lift kit was installed by a "professional". More fun installing the damn thing yourself, but for some odd reason, the Dealers want to see paperwork. You should be good to go though. I haven't seen anyone get froggy over a lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode