Question for Hardtop only owners - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Question for Hardtop only owners

If you have only a hardtop, how often do you actually remove it?

I see so many hardtops running in the summer on JK's and can't imagine someone pulling it off on a whim. Just curious.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 09:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have both but run the hard top primarily. With the 4 door it's a bit of a chore, really a two person job. I run more with the freedom panels out "on a whim".

If I had a garage and a hoist setup I don't think it would be as big of a deal. Still no comparison to the convenience of running a soft top.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #3 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to rerard2 Send a message via Yahoo to rerard2

I have the hard top only. I take it off in late spring and put it back on once it starts raining. I usually leave the front panels in for shade, so even if it rains a little it's not the end of the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Granite Guru

When I had my TJ it had both tops - when I bought the JK I only wanted the hard top. With a garage and the hoist the hard top was a better option for me. The soft top was just a worry and hassle.
However, now I am using my garage and can't park in it - so the hard top has not been off yet. hahaha
post #5 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Got a 2dr pull the top with a boat trailer winch fifteen min top. Do it all summer and for some snow runs.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #6 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 09:51 AM
Granite Guru

I have just the hardtop and had it off a few times in the spring and several through the summer. It was crazy hot down here this year and I didn't want to be soaked in sweat every day driving home from work. I do pull the panels frequently.
I do have a hoist in the garage so removing and storing isn't much of a chore.

Personally, I love having the top off, but prefer to have the doors off even more.

2015 JKU Rubi
Tank with a list of things I need to start doing to it
Sold - 2011 JKU
Sold - 05 WK
Sold - 02 WJ
post #7 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Granite Guru

I leave mine off from late spring to early fall. I have a mopar sunbonnet and deck cover that I use. I leave the doors off, then, also.

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Deep Water Blue,Freedom Hard Top,Bedlined Wheels,Coverkings,Smittybilt tube bumpers,Rigid Floods, Rough Country 2.5"BB
post #8 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

I have just the hardtop and a Spiderwebshade on my 2-door. I'd take mine off on a weekly basis in the summer and just set it on my tablesaw for the weekend. Easy enough.
post #9 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 10:07 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I have the hardtop only and after 6 months ownership I have yet to remove it. However, I have little kids that aren't thrilled about wind and noise just yet and all I really wanted was an offroad vehicle with a big moonroof this time around. The freedom top panels work awesome for this need. In time I'm sure the hardtop will come off, especially when the little ones get older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #10 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Granite Guru

I ran with just a hardtop for 2 years before i bought my soft top. If you don't have a place to convienently store it or a hoist to take it off by yourself, its a pain to get the rear portion off. I rarely took the hardtop off, just the freedom panels. If i knew it was going to be nice for 3-5 days i would take it off and leave it off for a couple days then put it back on. But i think i only did that a hand full of times. Now that i have my soft top, its so much easier and more convienent in the summer to take the top down. I put the hardtop back on for this winter.

2009 JK Unlimited - Deep Water Blue
Rough Country 2.5" Series II Budget Boost
18" XD Monsters w/ 35" Trail Grapplers
Superchips Flashpaq
KC windshield light brackets w/ KC slimlights
Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Winch Bumper
Smittybilt SRC8 Winch
Relocated Flowmaster Super 44 w/ offroad tailpipe
post #11 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabookie10 View Post
I ran with just a hardtop for 2 years before i bought my soft top. If you don't have a place to convienently store it or a hoist to take it off by yourself, its a pain to get the rear portion off. I rarely took the hardtop off, just the freedom panels. If i knew it was going to be nice for 3-5 days i would take it off and leave it off for a couple days then put it back on. But i think i only did that a hand full of times. Now that i have my soft top, its so much easier and more convienent in the summer to take the top down. I put the hardtop back on for this winter.
This^^^

post #12 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Granite Guru

I have only the hard top and have never actually taken off the rear portion...in 3 years. But I lived in an apartment for 2 of those years (no place to store it) and live a little too close to Mexico to feel comfortable leaving the jeep totally open in the parking lot... I have a garage hoist now but have to make a few more adjustments before I can use it. Planning to test it in a few weeks...
The freedom panels come off all the time tho, I made canvas storage bag that I keep in the jeep so I can take em off anytime and not worry about them getting damaged by throwing them in the back.

NOT A DUDE!

Steel Blue 2008 Sahara 2dr with stuff & things
NONE SHALL PASS!
post #13 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Granite Guru

I typically pull mine around May, store it and put it back on around Sept/Oct depending on the weather. With the freedom tops, there's no reason to put the hard top back on..

This is a 4dr by the way
post #14 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
I have just the hardtop and a Spiderwebshade on my 2-door. I'd take mine off on a weekly basis in the summer and just set it on my tablesaw for the weekend. Easy enough.
Same here hard top and spiderweb shade! 4 door I took it off every weekend this summer. I have to put it on for work i don't trust people downtown. I take the panels off no less then 4 - 5 times a week weather permitting. The back takes 2 people. you can look on youtube and there are people with videos of them doing it by themselves it is not heavy just awkward all the weight is in the glass.

I don't drink water; fish fuck in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Do you feel a desire to dance with other men while behind the wheel of the Prius?

Is it true the car only plays Village People music?

Does it have a light on the dash when you get near a gay bar?
post #15 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

As soon as the weather breaks the HT is off until it gets chilly again. If it rains well, its a jeep...

2011 Jeep Green JKUR

Cincinnati JKOs join our Facebook group
CJKC
Cincy JK Crew - rides only, no BS
post #16 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 12:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have mine on/off all spring, summer, and fall. It literally takes five minutes to remove or put back on. With my set up, it's easier to deal with the hard top than a soft top.
VVV
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53076

"Sweet ain't as sweet without the sour"
post #17 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Granite Guru

I only take my hardtop off when I know when I can get at least 1 week of nice weather. With my rack it does become kind of a pain to remove the top. I can do it with just me but makes the job a whole lot easier with 2.
BhamIrish likes this.

Go Play Outside.
post #18 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Granite Guru

No top whatsoever. Front panels and rear are covered for protection and are stored in the tractor barn. Rain or shine, no problem at all.
post #19 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Coonasian

Garage

I have an Unlimited with hardtop only. With winch in the garage, it's an easy chore to take off. It's been off most of the summer. We drive the truck on rainy days. I use the Safari Straps extended cage to keep wind buffeting down. May eventually do a bowless soft top but don't need it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
post #20 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

My Jeep is just a weekend toy so I take the top off in the spring and leave it off until Oct. I have a garage to store top and Jeep.
post #21 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
JKO Addict!

I pull my hard top off in April-ish and it stays off till October-ish. I have a spiderweb shade and nets that go on. I will occasionally throw it back on if we have a heat wave (multi-day at above 110f) so I can use the A/C for my daughter.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #22 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Rock God

Garage
Smile Off about 3 or 4 times

I have had mine off about 3 or 4 times. Once for a week while it was being painted white to match the rest of the jeep. Also a few times for topless day. I leave it on most of the time for security and to keep all of the junk I have in the back from blowing out.

Now the freedom panels is another story. I've removed them lots of times.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #23 of 50 Old 11-01-2011, 02:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I pulled myJKU hardtop off a lot with my simple porch swing hooks in the ceiling and ratchet straps method. Very easy one man operation and very cheap. Put the crank end on the front so you don't drop them on the rear glass. It's also easier to adjust in the front seat area. Now that I have my softop it has been hanging in the garage every day. I waited 4 years for a softop so I'm leaving it on for awhile.

Park the Jeep under it all the time now.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 11-01-2011 at 03:02 PM.
post #24 of 50 Old 11-03-2011, 07:14 AM

I have the freedom panels off on a whim. Took the hard top off around Labor Day and its been off ever since. It is my second car and its in my garage. Taking the hardtop off is easy. Its just 8 bolts and unplugging the rear window wiper. The top is not heavy but bulky so you will need a friend or neighbor to help you. Doesnt take long at all then there you go! I'll put it back on once the weather is consistently cold down here.
post #25 of 50 Old 11-03-2011, 07:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My hard top has been off pretty much since March. I scored a H.O.S.S. storage cart w/ the door cart for $175, so I use that to store it on. Makes it fairly easy to move around, but still putting it on/taking it off is a 2-man job. Currently running a TrekTop NX, but the hard top will be going back on in the next couple of weeks. Need to bedline the inside and let it off-gas for a few days, but once I put it on, it'll probably stay on for the winter. Although, it has been off quite a few times in the year that I've owned my rig.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode