Jump to TWF H1s w/37 or replace KM2s - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Jump to TWF H1s w/37 or replace KM2s

Well I currently have nothing better to do besides research tires on my phone. I've talked to a few regarding the TWF setup, seems reasonable to me.

Anyway, I pretty much know which way this thread will sway, but am looking for something I may be overlooking.

I currently have no plans to regear it. 6-speed with 4.10s + tuner. It is a daily driver, but my. Commute is not far, can use the wife's 40+ mpg Jetta for long trips!

H1's
5 - 8 bolt double bead lock wheels w/PVC inserts. 3.5" bs press centers. No rock rings.

5 - 37" MTRs, 80% tread.

$1653.40 shipped - ~$300 for my current/worn five 35" KM2s, stock wheels, TPMS, wheel spacers.

$1353.40 to my door.

Pros
37s!
Double bead lock
No spacers
Can sell KM2s

Cons
HEAVY = 150#/wheel
Not many other 16.5" tire choices
Need bump stops
Big tires bend axles
Steering off road will suffer
Lower mpg
Higher crawl/overall ratio
May force an unwanted/expensive regear
Potential balancing PITA

KM2s

Replace four 35" KM2s on stock wheels. $1500 + m&b.

Pros
Lighter - 93#/wheel
More 17" tire options
Easier to balance
Better mpg
No need for added bump stops

Cons
Small 35s, lucky to be 34s new
Narrow/stock/lame wheels
Wheel spacers
No bead lock

With that in mind, whatta ya say? This will be a tax refund purchase more than likely.

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 10-31-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 AM
Rock God

What happened to selling it?

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #3 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLY47 View Post
What happened to selling it?
Instead of a truck and bigger boat, we got the wifey a new ride. So the jeep stays and continues on the mod road.

And I didn't have to sell it, offers weren't what I wanted for it..no reason to not be content with what I get for it.

Sent via paper airplane

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

If you go with the TWF wheels, you can always get the Pitbull Rockers in a 37x16.5" tire later too.

Actually...doesn't TWF offer that as an option as well?
post #5 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Guard dogs are +$450 over five wheels. Not an option for me as of now.

Sent via paper airplane

post #6 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 11:53 AM
Rock God

I love my beadlocks and 37's but I don't think I could get a heavier combo if I tried
It doesn't bother me too much now but I do remember feeling the difference when I went from ProComp wheels and Krawlers to my Hutchinson and Trepadors. Felt something like driving into a very strong headwind. your call but you will Feel the difference.

Courtesy of Hit - "You should only fuck the fuckable.. to fuck the unfuckable or to un-fuck the fuckable is like crossing streams in Ghost Busters"
post #7 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 12:12 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_f70 View Post
I love my beadlocks and 37's but I don't think I could get a heavier combo if I tried
It doesn't bother me too much now but I do remember feeling the difference when I went from ProComp wheels and Krawlers to my Hutchinson and Trepadors. Felt something like driving into a very strong headwind. your call but you will Feel the difference.
I'll 2nd this especially without gears. I just went from 40" Trep's to 39" BFG Krawlers (1/4" height difference) and I am getting almost an extra 2 miles per gallon and it is fun to drive again. The extra 40 lbs on each tire really sucked.

I would try to stay with as light a combo as possible in my opinion. This will be the best all around solution in my opinion.

Jeremey

09 Rubicon Unlimited on 42's with some stuff

post #8 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 01:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

35" MTR

Actually 35"s tall
As light as the KM2
Better off road then either of the other 2 tires
$1300 for 4
post #9 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Granite Guru

Not to hijack but....it was brought to my attention that the TWF wheels and tires may not fly on the road in states that require inspection due to them being marketed as off road only. Any opinions or insight?
post #10 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_f70 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abadjeeper View Post
I'll 2nd this especially without gears. I just went from 40" Trep's to 39" BFG Krawlers (1/4" height difference) and I am getting almost an extra 2 miles per gallon and it is fun to drive again. The extra 40 lbs on each tire really sucked.

I would try to stay with as light a combo as possible in my opinion. This will be the best all around solution in my opinion.

Jeremey

That is my biggest concern with them, is the sheer weight of the setup. That is an extra 200 pounds I'll need to turn. Every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
35" MTR

Actually 35"s tall
As light as the KM2
$1300 for 4
If I changed 35s I'd need 5. Having a mis-matched spare would annoy me to no end. So $16xx for MTRs. But off-road wise, I really enjoy the KM2s. Other than their height obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellionss View Post
Not to hijack but....it was brought to my attention that the TWF wheels and tires may not fly on the road in states that require inspection due to them being marketed as off road only. Any opinions or insight?
I'd fill the "military use only" with JB weld, hit it with a flapper disc, rattle can it...and see how far I'd get.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 10-31-2011 at 04:31 PM.
post #11 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I'd fill the "military use only" with JB weld, hit it with a flapper disc, rattle can it...and see how far I'd get.
They do say D.O.T. approved.

post #12 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geod919 View Post
They do say D.O.T. approved.
Wasn't sure of that or not, but I believe the tires have DOT numbers and say "for off road use only" on them as well. IIRC

post #13 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 05:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Weight and rolling mass with 4:10"s will bring the Suck...not to mention it's not ideal offroad...

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #14 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 05:16 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

My tires might be for sale come tax time. LOL

No, really.

Sorry man - this didn't answer your question. I don't think I'd put that heavy of a wheel and tire on a two door. More to be concerned about for a benefit that we don't really have a use for out here in the Lone Star State.

MR

post #15 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherride View Post
Weight and rolling mass with 4:10"s will bring the Suck...not to mention it's not ideal offroad...
With the 4:1 case, off-road wouldn't be "ideal". However it wouldn't be terrible either. The rolling weight is going to bog it down pretty well, I have a feeling if I went TWF route, I'd be regearing it asap...which is not necessarily what I'm after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
My tires might be for sale come tax time. LOL

No, really.

MR
I'll go to the bank and hand deliver five crispy $100 bills to you

post #16 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 05:23 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
With the 4:1 case, off-road wouldn't be "ideal". However it wouldn't be terrible either. The rolling weight is going to bog it down pretty well, I have a feeling if I went TWF route, I'd be regearing it asap...which is not necessarily what I'm after.

I'll go to the bank and hand deliver five crispy $100 bills to you
Sounds good! I'll hand deliver you the valve stems!

post #17 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:
Wasn't sure of that or not, but I believe the tires have DOT numbers and say "for off road use only" on them as well. IIRC
Just to help out a bit... our wheels do say "for military use only".

They are stamped with DOT approval.

There is nothing about for off road use only.

This is all a grey area. Especially since these wheels come on civilian model H1s and are legal for the street.

There is nothing in the DOT that would make our wheels illegal on the road. However, we sell them as off road use only because they have not passed DOT standards.

Hope this helps clear up the muddy water. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Andy

post #18 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Sounds good! I'll hand deliver you the valve stems!
DENIED!
post #19 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOKEY View Post
Just to help out a bit... our wheels do say "for military use only".

They are stamped with DOT approval.

There is nothing about for off road use only.

This is all a grey area. Especially since these wheels come on civilian model H1s and are legal for the street.

There is nothing in the DOT that would make our wheels illegal on the road. However, we sell them as off road use only because they have not passed DOT standards.

Hope this helps clear up the muddy water. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Sounds great! Thanks for clearing that up.

Do you have a weight for your rock rings? Just curious, I was planning on not getting any if I go that route.

Last edited by Goodysgotacuda; 10-31-2011 at 05:58 PM.
post #20 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 06:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
35" MTR

Actually 35"s tall
As light as the KM2
$1300 for 4
backorder kinda hinders that.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #21 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 07:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It just seems like way too much weight. yeah, it would be sweet to have beadlocks and the MT/R's would wheel like a bad ass...but damn, I think you'll hate life when you're on the road.

Maybe, hold out for a 17" alloy wheel or use your stockers and go 37's later.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #22 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 09:29 PM
Rock God

Goody,
Didn't realize you were still running 4.10's. No way you will be happy with that much rolling weight being motivated by 4.10's you will be looking to regear ASAP!!!
Also will eventually have to look at brakes. I just swapped to Pro Rock 60's and added the big brake kit because I was already seeing issues with stopping the rolling mass.

Courtesy of Hit - "You should only fuck the fuckable.. to fuck the unfuckable or to un-fuck the fuckable is like crossing streams in Ghost Busters"
post #23 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

we talked and you know my view on the subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #24 of 24 Old 10-31-2011, 10:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

I would have to agree with the perspective of keeping the lighter set-up till you can upgrade for the excess weight. The commute may not be long but you do not want to turn your DD into a non-joy to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode