thinking about switching to another roof rack...thoughts? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-30-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thinking about switching to another roof rack...thoughts?

So I have the Gobi Stealth and like it fine enough, but with it I feel basically stuck with the hardtop on as it is quite a production to swap tops. Obviously I cant hoist the hard top off in my garage because of the Gobi rack tilting up. I have used my Gobi primarily for our roof top tent.

But lately I am thinking about going with the MBRP rack. I don't really mind drilling into the hard top. It could always be patched and at least it is not drilling into the body with which I would have a problem. Because I use the hard top anyway for going camping (as unzipping the back window to keep getting things becomes a pain in the ass...kid stuff) i find it easier to just mount the hard top. Then at least I could use the soft top in the summer.

With the MBRP rack, I could simply take the soft top off, and lower the hardtop with the MBRP rack already attached, onto my jeep. Then in the winter, when the hard top is on, I could use the rack for skis and snowboards.

I could also mount the front extension or simply add a single yakima bar and a cargo cage to extra storage when we go camping.

I'm welcome to any thoughts on this.

2012 Sahara Tan Unlimited Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-30-2011, 01:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

Sounds like you've got your mind made up. I can put up with an extraordinary amount of inconvenience, (Unzipping the windows, infants in the backseat of a 2DR, etc...) so I think the Gobi is the route I'll take. I switch tops twice a year, May 15th and October 30th, so I'm thinking I won't mind removing the rack. Will the MBRP rack hold you and your tent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
post #3 of 3 Old 10-30-2011, 08:24 PM
JPK
Rock God

Take a look at Front Runner's rack, which is available in full length and 3/4 length, which allows the front panels of the roof to be removed easily. It will handle a RTT.

Also, AEV is supposedly releasing their rack at SEMA. Very nice rack that is a little onger than the 3/4 length Front Runner, but still allows the top panels to be removed. AEV's will also handle a RTT.

JPK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode