What size bump's with 2.5 inch lift on 35's? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-29-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

What size bump's with 2.5 inch lift on 35's?

For those with this combo, what size bumps are you running? I plan on keeping the stock fenders for a while at least as well......let me know. Thanks.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-29-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

bump

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #3 of 21 Old 10-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Rock God

2.5" front and rear extended bumpstops for 35s with stock flares and no body lift.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-29-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
2.5" front and rear extended bumpstops for 35s with stock flares and no body lift.

Is it ok to run without bumpstops on road? Or is just not recommended to go wheeling without em?

post #5 of 21 Old 10-29-2011, 09:51 PM
Rock God

As long as you don't go offroad or do something else to flex your suspension, they can wait.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

post #6 of 21 Old 10-29-2011, 11:07 PM
JKO Addict!

You can go offroad without them, but just be ready to rip off your fenders. Just happened to me a couple weeks ago... Bumpstops now on their way along with some ACE flat flares.

Greg
post #7 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 04:51 AM
Rock God

I run no extended bumpstops on 3" of lift, no fenders, and it flexes like hell, no rubbing. Front and rear shocks have 1" left on up and down travel on full flex once the factory bumpstops get hit on the pad.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #8 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 06:49 AM
JKO Addict!

This was 35s, stock shocks w/extenders, coil spacers, no bump stops and new 35" KM2s.

With the variables of off-roading I'd get some rubbing here and there. A tad in the back wheel arch/seam, the front would rub the fenders. I don't know that I'd want to run 2.5" bump stops, but something in the ~3/4" would probably have done it on mine with stock fenders.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #9 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
This was 35s, stock shocks w/extenders, coil spacers, no bump stops and new 35" KM2s.

With the variables of off-roading I'd get some rubbing here and there. A tad in the back wheel arch/seam, the front would rub the fenders. I don't know that I'd want to run 2.5" bump stops, but something in the ~3/4" would probably have done it on mine with stock fenders.
yeah 2.5 inch bumps sounds a bit much to me for 35's on 2.5 inches of lift. Would the suspension be noticeably limited adding that much bumpstopage?

post #10 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 07:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
yeah 2.5 inch bumps sounds a bit much to me for 35's on 2.5 inches of lift. Would the suspension be noticeably limited adding that much bumpstopage?
Yes, with too much you'll end up hitting them on road much more than you need to.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 08:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I ran a 4" lift and 37's with no bumps for several years. On the trail the first thing I do is air down, then rip the rear fenders off before the tires do. On road they would hit with hard bumps.

I now have bump stops and I only get the fenders coming off in extreme stuffing.

Bumps should be set to your rig and how you wheel. Adjustable/stack-able versions will work better that way you can move them as you play with mods.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
I ran a 4" lift and 37's with no bumps for several years. On the trail the first thing I do is air down, then rip the rear fenders off before the tires do. On road they would hit with hard bumps.

I now have bump stops and I only get the fenders coming off in extreme stuffing.

Bumps should be set to your rig and how you wheel. Adjustable/stack-able versions will work better that way you can move them as you play with mods.
Yeah I think im gonna go with the RK stackables for now. I assume that one inch will not be enough and, hopefully, 2 inches isn't too much. Well see I guess.

post #13 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Rock God

I guess I could clarify more.

If you have shocks that are short--like a 2.5" lift with shock extensions--your suspension may not flex enough to rub the flares too badly--like Goody.

However, with an RK 2.5", with Bilstein 5100s, I believe they are long enough to allow sufficient articulation that you will rub 35s on stock flares pretty bad--much more than Goody.

If your 5100s are the length that are 17" tall when fully collapsed, you need some front extended bumpstopping to prevent bottoming out the front shocks.

For extended bumpstops, you need the tall enough to prevent over-compressing your springs, bottoming out your shocks, and/or damaging your tires/flares/body.

If you don't want to loose articulation up-travel, run flat flares and cut material in the rear fender well. You might be able to get away with 1.25" in the front to prevent bottoming out the front shocks. If you cut enough in the back, the only factor might be over-compressing your springs.

I'd be interested to know if Broncojohn was running long enough shocks with his 4" lift that they were his bumpstops--they bottomed out long before the stock yellow bumpstops were fully compressed into the metal holding cups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by planman; 10-30-2011 at 08:39 AM.
post #14 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 08:39 AM
Rock God

If the lift has spacers under your coils - the distance hasnt changed much if any from the bumpstop. and you wouldnt need to change it. i run a 3" lift with 2.5" spaced coils and dont need or use a modified bumpstop - no problems in all sorts of wheeling conditions.

O||||O
post #15 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 08:42 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackSheep View Post
If the lift has spacers under your coils -
Never, ever run coil spacers under your coils. Only run coil spacers on top of your coils.

The OP has a Rock Krawler 2.5" lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks.

post #16 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Rock God

I have the TF 2.5" lift with included bumpstops on 2 JKs no rubbing with 35s.

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman View Post
Never, ever run coil spacers under your coils. Only run coil spacers on top of your coils.

The OP has a Rock Krawler 2.5" lift with Bilstein 5100 shocks.
sorry - thats what i meant.

O||||O
post #18 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 11:01 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

It's hard to say exactly what you need for a "2.5 inch" lift anymore with all of the variables, as planman has pointed out here.

For instance a 2.5" budget boost is going to be different from a 2.5" coil lift. Furthermore the same 2.5" coil lift will be a different height on a two door vs a four door. (The two door will sit higher due to weight differences and could require more height on the bumps.)

With no flares and flat flares on a 2.5" Rock Krawler I can't get into the fenders with 37" tires. BUT I need about 2 and 3 inches of bump stop and shock relocators to preserve my shocks and keep the Jeep in check in off camber situations. Mind you, I have done some heavy trimming on my jeep which allows more room for flex.

On a stock jeep with stock flares and no trimming the need for bump stop changes considerably.

I ran around with 35s and a 2.5" budget boost on factory flares for some time and I could definitely get the tires into the fenders on flexy trails.

I will second Planmans thought on 2.5 and 3" for your setup and I think you'll be just right there.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more.

Marcus

post #19 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

If I got the RK stackables (2 sets, of 2 inchers for the front and rear) do you think that would be sufficient? Planman I know you stated 2.5 for the front and rear, will that extra 1/2 inch less bumpstopage be alright to rub with or should I look elsewhere?

post #20 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 12:01 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
If I got the RK stackables (2 sets, of 2 inchers for the front and rear) do you think that would be sufficient? Planman I know you stated 2.5 for the front and rear, will that extra 1/2 inch less bumpstopage be alright to rub with or should I look elsewhere?
I would buy Tera-Flex push in bump stops for the front and the bolt on lowers for the rear. they aren't an exact length, but they will suffice and have a little give in them:

Rear: http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-wrangler-...-as-a-kit.html

Front: (2 x these) http://www.teraflex.biz/jk-front-upper-bumpstop.html

There is nothing wrong with the RK bump stops, and yes, you can add to them. But, I think these are a simpler solution for you.

Marcus

post #21 of 21 Old 10-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Rock God

I have 35's and a 3.5" lift and run 2.5" bump stops in the front and i rub the inner fender enough to chew up my tires.
I have the teraflex push in bump stops in the rear and no rubbing.
Guys running the bfg km2 35's may not rub cause the km2's dont measure 35"
mine measure 35".

good luck,

Mat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode