Which would you buy? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-28-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Which would you buy?

Here are a couple of choices of Unlimiteds that I am going to go look at this weekend.

1. '09 X. 19K Miles. New lift and 35 BFGs installed. Winch, Smittybuilt bumper, also new.

2. '10 Rubi. 25.5K Miles. Bone stock.

Both the same listed price, $28K. Both Autos. Rubi has soft top and X a hard.

I assume the X needs gears switched out to run the tires on it. I also assume the Rubi needs tires very soon (excuse to get big meats and lift). I assume neither were off-roaded. If I crawl under and find different that will change the situation a lot.

Help me think this though please.

No decent pic of the Rubi available but I'm sure everyone knows what a stock one looks like.

Last edited by GarScramb; 10-28-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Rock God

Get the rubi. Smittybilt bumper not worth much. However, if you are planning on gutting it then get the x. Rubi one year newer with a few more miles is the way to go. Yeah the x has a lift but who installed it? 35's how much tread left? If they are close to being worn out then you can just buy a set in the near future for the rubi. Just my random thoughts....
post #3 of 19 Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbilt View Post
Get the rubi. Smittybilt bumper not worth much. However, if you are planning on gutting it then get the x. Rubi one year newer with a few more miles is the way to go. Yeah the x has a lift but who installed it? 35's how much tread left? If they are close to being worn out then you can just buy a set in the near future for the rubi. Just my random thoughts....
The tires, lift, bumper and winch are all new. I know the dealership and they are known to do the lifts right. Rubicon Express lifts are what they usually use.

Thanks for the input. For what it's worth, I am leaning toward agreeing with you though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Rock God

Rubi. Anything you upgrade you can sell the stock parts for a decent price. Can't do that with the X... very few people want shit from an X trust me. The Rubi is closer to warranty expiration in miles but the X is closer in age. The Rubi is also a good package if you don't plan on going crazy with it.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #5 of 19 Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

If you are going to wheel it I'd go for the Rubi, a stock Rubi is very capable. But if you aren't really into that then get the X. It has a cool look and 'should' cost less.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Rock God

Bunch of rubi whores!

I'd go for the x it's ready to hit the trails.
Just because its not a rubicon doesn't mean its not capable off road....
After spending $25,000 are you gonna have the cash for lift, tires, bumpers, and winch?
I'm not made of money, you may be though.

remember the sticker is what they wish you would pay! mine was stickered $27000 i got it out the door for $21000 start dealing LOW! Good luck!
post #7 of 19 Old 10-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Get the Rubi. Like the other guys have said you can get replace what the other has with your own taste and start with a bkank canvass. You can build it the way you want and take your time and do it right.

Because of my situation I bought my current Jeep already some what built. After buying it I have changed everything except the engine and the lift. I picked out all my own mods and can say that everything done toit is my taste with the suspension lift being the only thing I still want to change.

My old Jeep I bought bone stock and built every bit of it myself with me and my buddies turning wrenches. There is something to be said for that. Its a good feeling. DOn't get me wrong I have done that this with Jeep too but I had to sell the old after market parts and got next to nothing for them. They were not my taste.

I have been hitting the bottle so I am rambling. Buy the damn Rubi. That is all.

Jester
Jester Offroad

863-875-7907
post #8 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

i went through this when i was buying mine...rubi all the way...i wheel the shit out of it bone stock...its worth it

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #9 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

6k miles difference is nothing. The rubi is worth more hands down...newer model and over $6k more in useful offroad equipment.

The x has been "upgraded" with lower end parts. I highly doubt they used the superflex RE kit. Even then.... Lastly, 35s on stock rims from a "dealer" .

Get the rubi and you have a clean slate to put the parts you want on it. Between the two the rubi is worth more coin by anyone's judgement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #10 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 AM
Wheeler

The Rubi would be awesome but I would go with the x. I have a 2011 sport and I have wheeled it with rubi's and several other modded out jeeps and I went everywhere they did and never missed a beat. some of it was basic and some more technical but I still havent had her stuck and believe me I have tried. Rubi is a waste. get the x because anybody who thinks theyre going to buy a jeep and leave it stock is crazy... every jeep owner catches the fever and thats a fact
post #11 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 05:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You need to think about what you plan on doing with the jeep and how you plan to mod it, if you want a mall crawler go with the x, all you need to add is some shiny rims or if you plan on going all out (atlas, d60's, etc) you can actually go either way, you will be able to sell the oem t-case and axles out of the rubi , you will be making a trip to the scrap yard with the x stuff. Also do you plan on keeping it forever? You will have a much better re-sale/trade in with the rubi. Do you have a few grand to throw at the x? It prob needs a re-gear, maybe find a used d44 front axle for it. On the other hand you can get a cheap BB for the rubi, get some 35's for it and have fun all day. Just my 2 cents. fwiw i went throug the same thing, i ended up getting the rubi because i didnt have the extra money to put in a X at the time (actually i still have no money) to re-gear it. I also tow a trailer and wanted the better gearing the rubi had.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #12 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 06:48 AM
Granite Guru

i'd get the rubi... resale value will be higher...
besides the fact that i'd rather have a stock Jeep to start with... doing mods yourself is half the fun!! Jeeps are like LEGO's for grown-ups

plus, since when does a jeep NEED a lift and big tires to be ready to hit the trails? in my opinion, EVERYONE needs to wheel their rig bone stock before they start modding... you get a better feel for what it's actually capable of and then decide what it actually needs for the type of wheeling you do... and you can be sure any mods are done right... not just something that a dealer threw on to make a huge markup...

form always follows function... i've never believed in modding to "look cool"...

☀lllllll☀ 2014 Cherokee Trailhawk
☀lllllll☀ 2009 Unlimited X
☀lllllll☀ 1985 CJ-7
post #13 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 08:22 AM
Rock God

[QUOTE=mbjeepxj;946070]

plus, since when does a jeep NEED a lift and big tires to be ready to hit the trails?/QUOTE]

depends on the type of trails you wheel.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 09:16 AM
Rock God

Garage

Get the rubi hands down.... The lifts that the dealerships install are cheap and a smitty bumper is cheap. The only real gain on the X are the tires and the hard top...
Lockers, D44's and a better t-case are worth more. Good luck on your choice!
post #15 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Lots of great advice. Thanks!

To answer the most common question, the majority of off-road I will be doing will be on old logging and strip mining roads. I agree with the idea of using it stock first then upgrading. That's exactly what I did with my Scrambler.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 12:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I like building my own shit so you know my vote...Rubi!

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #17 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Granite Guru

I was looking at the sort of thing. a 08 rubicon stock with removed carpet lol and 30k miles for 22k and I found a 10 sport with 4 inch lift, 35s and 6k miles for 22k. I went with the sport as it was newer fewer miles and figured I would replace what broke with better stuff lol.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Get the rubi hands down.... ..
Lockers, D44's and a better t-case are worth more. Good luck on your choice!
The rest you can add yourself You can run 35's with out a problem and dont have to worry about upgrading to lockers and you get a better crawl ratio. Plus resale value is better if that is an issue to you. Plus the 44's are better when you do want to go bigger, like 37's.

Last edited by JOHN412; 10-29-2011 at 04:40 PM.
post #19 of 19 Old 10-29-2011, 06:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Rubi

I'd also price out a '12 similarly optioned. You might be surprised how close you can get the payments.

I just couldn't spend that much and not get the motor/trans

31 jeeps in... still have issues
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode