Advance Adapters Transfer Case Cable - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-28-2011, 08:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Advance Adapters Transfer Case Cable

I am going to installed, the transfer case cable upgrade to my 08, Sahara Unlimited, this weekend. I have read the directions thoroughly, and watched the video several times. If anyone has any experience with this kit and has some advice it would be appreciated. A little clarity on the 1/8 off set for the cable would help.

Why have 2 wheels when you can have 4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-28-2011, 09:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...=Advance+cable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old 10-28-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Transfer case skid

Thank you that is very helpful, they did not mention having to remove the transfer case skid plate in the Advance directions. Is the transfer case skid, the same bolts that hold the transfer case in place? I will have to check the service manual, later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Wheeler

The skid plate bolts only attach the skid plate. The job will be much easier if you remove the skid plate. Also after install make sure the new cable cannot touch the front drive shaft. Similar to the install in the link above, I was afraid the cable was going to touch so I held it back with some zip ties and a small aluminum bracket I made.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-29-2011, 09:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

On my list of things to do. We should have a aa shifter cable install party.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-29-2011, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks

Thanks for the zip tie tip. Badass, I'm going to try for 2morrow, weather permitting. The only thing I have a little hesitation about is the 1/8" spacing, I don't know if I'm over thinking it, I hope when I do the work, I will sort it out.

post #7 of 15 Old 10-30-2011, 04:53 AM
Rock God

Did your cable ends break on the factory linkage?

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #8 of 15 Old 10-30-2011, 05:50 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny14 View Post
Thanks for the zip tie tip. Badass, I'm going to try for 2morrow, weather permitting. The only thing I have a little hesitation about is the 1/8" spacing, I don't know if I'm over thinking it, I hope when I do the work, I will sort it out.
i left the adjustment bolts finger tight so i could do a final adjustment to make sure it shifted from 2hi to 4lo. i think the 1/8" reference is to make sure you are fully engaged in either 2hi or 4lo without the cable leaving pressure on the t case lever. it was a non issue for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukecage View Post
If I hear banjos I'm out! I almost feel like an alien being a black guy in a jeep already, this is gonna be a real adventure
post #9 of 15 Old 10-30-2011, 07:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny14 View Post
Post after your install and let us know how it went. I watched the AA video and they seems to over simplify the install b/c all the parts ere out of the jeep.

I would love to do this mod. Every time I have to put a little muscle into switching the T/C lever I worry.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #10 of 15 Old 10-30-2011, 07:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Ok, heres my question. If I wanted to purchase an atlas II, to put in an 08 JK X, 2 door, with stock driveshafts, and wanted to keep everything as stock as possible so that it would simply be a plug and play, what would the specs have to be on the atlas? I went on to their website to build my own, and I have no idea as to how to answer some of the questions. One being spline count, output yoke length, etc. etc.

Does anyone have that info?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series

Last edited by rdlynch2; 10-30-2011 at 06:12 PM.
post #11 of 15 Old 10-30-2011, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Ok, heres my question. If I wanted to purchase an atlas II, to put in an 08 JK X, 2 door, with stock driveshafts, and wanted to keep everything as stock as possible so that it would simply be a plug and play, what would the specs have to be on the atlas? I went on to their website to build my own, and I have no idea as to how to answer some of the questions. One being spline count, output yoke length, etc. etc.

bump

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #12 of 15 Old 10-30-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thumbs up Finished

TCdawg
HTML Code:
Post after your install and let us know how it went. I watched the AA video and they seems to over simplify the install b/c all the parts were out of the jeep.
So all and all it went very good. Couple little snags. In retrospect, even though I have a Sahara, it would be a lot easier taken off the front drive shaft and the cross brace. The directions need a lot of refinement to be called a (DIY) kit. Reusing the OEM rubber plug is a pain in the ass, and kept jamming up the cable when I was trying to get it threw. I would be really carful next time to make sure that I did not shift the TC out of 2H. When I toke the OE TC lever off, I threw it into Neutral. So when I kept adjusting it I thought I was in 4L, after I figured it was in Neutral. I was able to set the proper lengths and cable travel.
Suffolk JK
HTML Code:
Did your cable ends break on the factory linkage?
Believe it out not, my 2 year old daughter was in the front seat, when I was putting the hard top on, and she yanked on it and broke the plastic bushing in the cab. When I started taking the factory cable out, I found that the TC end did not even have 1, it was just laying there.

post #13 of 15 Old 10-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Wheeler

Quote:

They have a PDF guide on their website to help you in making your decision.

But if you want to use stock driveshafts (big mistake) you would more or less design the following tcase: 2 speed; 4.3:1 ratio; left hand drop; 23 JK input spline (23 short with a spacer just for the JK); standard tailhousing; 26 spline front output (standard duty); OEM JK yokes front and rear; speedometer hole plug kit; and JK Wrangler shifter kit.

There's also a lo gear selector switch kit that you'll need to purchase from AA so that your computer can know when you're in lo and turn off ESP and alter the throttle response.

BUT you should definitely review the guide on their website and/or contact AA to discuss your desired outcome and choices.

2008 2 Door Rubicon
4" Zone Lift
15x10 Ion 138
35x13.50R15 Toyo Open Country MT
A bunch of other stuff done and yet to do
post #14 of 15 Old 10-30-2011, 07:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeplover View Post
They have a PDF guide on their website to help you in making your decision.

But if you want to use stock driveshafts (big mistake) you would more or less design the following tcase: 2 speed; 4.3:1 ratio; left hand drop; 23 JK input spline (23 short with a spacer just for the JK); standard tailhousing; 26 spline front output (standard duty); OEM JK yokes front and rear; speedometer hole plug kit; and JK Wrangler shifter kit.

There's also a lo gear selector switch kit that you'll need to purchase from AA so that your computer can know when you're in lo and turn off ESP and alter the throttle response.

BUT you should definitely review the guide on their website and/or contact AA to discuss your desired outcome and choices.
Why is it a big mistake to keep the stock driveshafts?

post #15 of 15 Old 10-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Wheeler

If you wheel your Jeep, as I'm sure you do if you're buying an Atlas, you'll rip your boots. The rear boot tears with lifts of 3" and higher while the front gets torn on the transmission or the skid plate. Of course rocks have a tendency to reach up and do damage to the factory boots and shafts too.

In general, the factory shafts are not serviceable and do not last very long outside of usage on stock Jeeps used exclusively on-road. An aftermarket shaft with 1310 or 1350 shafts can be repaired or swapped out on the trail.

If you buy an Atlas and use OEM JK yokes (which is an option from AA), you'll have to go back and buy new yokes from AA later when you inevitably upgrade your driveshafts.

Quote:
Why is it a big mistake to keep the stock driveshafts?

2008 2 Door Rubicon
4" Zone Lift
15x10 Ion 138
35x13.50R15 Toyo Open Country MT
A bunch of other stuff done and yet to do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode