moab wheels beadlocked - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

moab wheels beadlocked

This may be a stupid question, but I wouldn't ask if the answer was clear.

Is it fiscally reasonable to to take stock Moab wheels, buy hubcentric spacers, have them drilled out for rock rings, then insert Staun internal beadlocks?
I saw a video from Staun that showed the glory of this move but have yet to see anybody do it.
Theoretically, it is a huge cost saver.

In the real world, ?????????

I'm fond of this idea mainly to keep a spare on stock carrier without anything fancy by just taking spare off at trailhead.

Also with the 7.5 width of stock wheels, would you be able to go to 37" tires with this setup?

I have a feeling this is too good to be true or someone else would have done it.

Please explain my faults in this thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 07:44 PM
Ipe
Rock God

I've had a set of Stauns. They're great but also a total PITA. Why not get your moabs converted to real beadlocks if you want to keep the OEM wheels. OMF does beadlock conversions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Why were they a PITA? I thought they were inflate and forget.
Yours look great though. Seriously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 07:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Whats the cost of the conversion? Looks awesome.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #5 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Ipe
Rock God

Those aren't my wheels, just pics I found of beadlock conversions. Here's the article they came from. I'm sporting the oem moabs with 37" mtr-k's. No beadlocks at all.

I found the stauns to be a PITA when it came to mounting and balancing. Many shops want nothing to do with stauns, YMMV on this though. When I get new wheels I plan on getting a set of actual beadlocks: Raceline, Walker Evans, etc.

post #6 of 18 Old 10-26-2011, 10:02 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I contacted OMF for a similar conversion.... absolutely awesome product.. The only reasoin i didnt go with them was i didnt have my stick wheels and got a deal on a raceline moster...

Great customer service and response time...

OMF makes soem great stuff... def check out the site !!

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #7 of 18 Old 07-31-2014, 05:50 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

so, I am going to go ahead and bump this from the dead..

I just scored a set of stock wheels, and I am still intersted in the beadlock conversion. I have had correspendonce with OMF but I know a few other companies like champion do the conversions.

I have searched and there is limited info out there, probably because the cost is around 200+ a wheel plus shipping two ways. add that I will have to replace the 15's with 17's and go to 37's its really not cost effective, but I do love the look.

so...in the past few years since this thread hass anyone else had the stock wheels converted ?

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #8 of 18 Old 07-31-2014, 05:55 PM
Rock God

One of the local guys I wheel with had a second locking ring added to the inside of his atx beadlocks by the folks at Trail Ready. I want to say he paid less than 1k.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

post #9 of 18 Old 07-31-2014, 06:45 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

my plan is to send out a few emails to a few companies and see what the prices are, at which point I will update this, but someone else mentioned that trail ready would do a conversion too.

post #10 of 18 Old 07-31-2014, 07:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
so, I am going to go ahead and bump this from the dead..

I just scored a set of stock wheels, and I am still intersted in the beadlock conversion. I have had correspendonce with OMF but I know a few other companies like champion do the conversions.

I have searched and there is limited info out there, probably because the cost is around 200+ a wheel plus shipping two ways. add that I will have to replace the 15's with 17's and go to 37's its really not cost effective, but I do love the look.

so...in the past few years since this thread hass anyone else had the stock wheels converted ?

What's the difference between the OMF conversion and the What JAp asked about ?
Never seen anything like it.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #11 of 18 Old 07-31-2014, 07:17 PM
Granite Guru

A 7.5" rim with 35" tires aired down to 10-12 lbs feels a little roly poly to me. An 8.5" - 9.5" rim feels much more stable. I think an aired down 37" tire on those narrow rims would be dangerous. If you want beadlocks, save up for a set of Raceline and get the backspace you need without spacers. Rock rings added to a stock type wheel would be a total waste of money.

post #12 of 18 Old 08-01-2014, 07:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Method beadlocks are going for 200 per wheel. I know you like the look but that sounds a little costly compared to just picking up a set of Methods. Just a though...

post #13 of 18 Old 08-01-2014, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

You still have a wheel with a bs of 6.25" which with adapters would be good for up to 35" tires. You can always find the Hutchington Rock monster Moab wheel that mopar use to offer. IMO you are just throwing away money converting the factory wheel with all there is out there in a bead locks with wider width and proper back spacing.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #14 of 18 Old 08-01-2014, 10:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Method beadlocks are going for 200 per wheel. I know you like the look but that sounds a little costly compared to just picking up a set of Methods. Just a though...
where can you get these for that price?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #15 of 18 Old 08-01-2014, 10:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
where can you get these for that price?
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/category-s/3072.htm

Dont see them being explicitly defined as beadlocks so I could be getting confused

Paging Rebel

Last edited by ALASHA; 08-01-2014 at 11:05 AM.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
http://www.rebeloffroad.com/category-s/3072.htm

Dont see them being explicitly defined as beadlocks so I could be getting confused

Paging Rebel
No way those are true beadlocks. I guarantee they are just "Beadlock Style". They all say Street use which translates to Mall Crawler to me.

Jeepless
post #17 of 18 Old 08-01-2014, 12:13 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Those definitely aren't beadlocked Method wheels at that price.

http://rimzoneonline.com/17x8-5-meth...FcRzMgodVmsAOg

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #18 of 18 Old 08-01-2014, 12:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuLcRuM View Post
No way those are true beadlocks. I guarantee they are just "Beadlock Style". They all say Street use which translates to Mall Crawler to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Those definitely aren't beadlocked Method wheels at that price.

http://rimzoneonline.com/17x8-5-meth...FcRzMgodVmsAOg
Sorry I might have jumped the gun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode