What to look out for on used Jeeps - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

What to look out for on used Jeeps

Is there anything to look out for when looking at used JK's? Are certain years better than others? Anything wrong with the 2007 since it was the first model year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 06:25 PM
JKO Addict!

We run an 07 no problems 60,000 miles on it. Looks for scratches on the sides. Crawl under and look at the control arms and skids for wheeling damage. There are a lot of JKs out there that have never been off road. We found our Rubi for $22,000 with 22,000 miles. Looked brand new and don't think it was ever off road. There out there. Good luck looking.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official sponsor of the Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #3 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 06:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Some earlier 07/08s have oil consumption problems.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 06:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Yea not really a problem if you check it and keep it full.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #5 of 12 Old 10-26-2011, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the quick replies. I really want a 12 but I'm having a hard time getting a decent value on my trade in so I started looking at used and it seems like the prices are already coming down on them compared to a month or two ago. I may just hang on to my truck for awhile longer and see if it sells outright. Anyone want to buy a truck? Haha
post #6 of 12 Old 10-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Granite Guru

I hear the 2011's have computers that the aftermarket still hasn't quite caught up with because they are different than in 2007-2010, so you're probably better off avoiding that year if you intend to mod very much. Also, some 2007's have a D35 rear axle instead of the stronger D44, but they are pretty rare.

EDIT: Regardless what year you get (pre-2012), if you plan to rock anything besides the little economy tires, avoid the 3.21 axle ratio like the plague.

2009 X 2-door 6-speed
budget boost, bilsteins, discos, 35's, 4.88's, and more issues than TV Guide

Last edited by Idriveoverstuff; 10-28-2011 at 02:15 PM.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Granite Guru

Things to watch for in a 6spd is make sure you don't have the Throwout Bearing squeal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Like mine...but running 5W30 has slowed the consumption to almost next to nothing between changes (5000km/3000miles).
post #8 of 12 Old 10-28-2011, 07:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

some things to check for to maybe get the price down woulf be dents in the cowl sides from the mirrors hitting them, over tighting the hard top screws and making them pop ou tthe top of the hard top.
Like stated before, crawl under it, look for damage from wheeling, my old 2 door rubi looked like i drove it through a boulder field with no tires, pretty much everything was smashed under it but it drove fine and had no problems. I got my 07 unlimited rubi in 09 for 24k with 45k miles on it, with every option for a 07 execpt a soft top.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #9 of 12 Old 10-28-2011, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Can anyone shed light on how to determine which gear ratio a Jeep has without jacking it up and spinning the tires and counting driveshaft rotations? That's just not a feasable option when looking at used jeeps on dealer lots.

To be honest I'm not sure I'd be happy with anything other than a 2012. The JK's I've driven seemed pretty anemic except for the 12's.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
Can anyone shed light on how to determine which gear ratio a Jeep has without jacking it up and spinning the tires and counting driveshaft rotations? That's just not a feasable option when looking at used jeeps on dealer lots.

To be honest I'm not sure I'd be happy with anything other than a 2012. The JK's I've driven seemed pretty anemic except for the 12's.
What I can remember...

All rubi's have 4:10's regardless of 6spd & Auto
Sahara's/X/Sport no factory tow package - Autos- 3:73 6spd - 3:21
Sahara/X/Sport with factory tow Autos - 3:73 6spd 3:73
I know a few 07 models with Tow package came with - 4:10's.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-28-2011, 09:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I look for the closest to stock I can find. You know it wasn't wheeled too hard and you are not paying for upgrades you don't want. buy it close to stock for cheap and build it the way you want.
post #12 of 12 Old 10-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Rock God

Grab this months issue of JP. It has a used JK buyers guide in it. I would post it up here but I'm too lazy to do it. Check the ball joints though.

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode