What the deal w/ benchmark? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

What the deal w/ benchmark?

Do they still exist anymore? I have made numerous inquires about their oil pan, to no avail....anyone know?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 05:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I know Dr Dirty just got an oil pan from him. Said he got it quick to. Might want to PM Dr Dirty.
post #3 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 07:11 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have e-mailed and called BD many times recently with no answer or response.

My Build Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NE Trail Ride Thread ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 07:30 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
I have e-mailed and called BD many times recently with no answer or response.
Same here, I needed some help with my dual battery system. I gave up and had to spend my money elsewhere. I was a bit bummed because I liked Benchmark.

Cutts Crew

Quote:
Orginal Quote from cjcraig7 "Every time I hang out with you Cutts fucks, one of you inevitably gets pissed and vandalizes my shit."
post #5 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8R ROK View Post
Same here, I needed some help with my dual battery system. I gave up and had to spend my money elsewhere. I was a bit bummed because I liked Benchmark.

Guy on jeepforum has been waiting 8 months for a bumper from them. I dont care how good your products are that is unexceptable

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #6 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 07:46 AM
JKO Addict!

They are a company with solid, quality products that are unreachable and terrible at running a business.

They aren't the first, nor will they be the last. There's been several of them on this very forum in the span of only a couple of years.

Check with JCR on their dual batt setup, they have great products and service.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #7 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Look Ill tell you guys again.... It takes a bit to get your stuff but its worth the wait..... I don't think that there is anyone that paid for something form benchmark and eventually did not get a product. The main guys that are bitching are the ones that waited a month then did some research and had a kneejerk reaction and called the CC company to dispute the transaction and still expect John to ship the product Many people will say they sent 100s emails but never picked up the phone.... If the guy doesn't answer call back!!! If you still get no response go somewhere else you gave it an honest effort.... For every one of the guys that have had a bad experience with any company there are 4 satisfied customers.
post #8 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 07:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
They are a company with solid, quality products that are unreachable and terrible at running a business.

They aren't the first, nor will they be the last. There's been several of them on this very forum in the span of only a couple of years.

Check with JCR on their dual batt setup, they have great products and service.

Offroad Heroes. What? ...but I do love my soft top!!

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
post #9 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 07:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Offroad Heroes. What? ...but I do love my soft top!!
ORH
Shrockworks
LOD
etc etc etc

the list goes on.....
post #10 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 08:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post
ORH
Shrockworks
LOD
etc etc etc

the list goes on.....

I didn't realize you recently picked-up that oil pan. How did you make that happen? Did you camp out at Benchmark, Wall Street Protest style? ...with drums and all?

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
post #11 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 AM
JKO Addict!

I guess I should qualify what I said by saying that I had quite a positive experience with them when I got my dual battery kit, but that's because I got in on the ground floor when they just got up and running. About a year or so after that, when attempting contact again, is when it all went wrong....

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #12 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 08:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
I didn't realize you recently picked-up that oil pan. How did you make that happen? Did you camp out at Benchmark, Wall Street Protest style? ...with drums and all?
Nope I contacted BMD and said i need one and a week later it was at my door.

Guys John is a cool guy like 90% of out vendors here and in the jeep world that love out sport as much as we do... I know he has a family and im pretty sure that BMD is a side business.
post #13 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 08:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
I guess I should qualify what I said by saying that I had quite a positive experience with them when I got my dual battery kit, but that's because I got in on the ground floor when they just got up and running. About a year or so after that, when attempting contact again, is when it all went wrong....
Quote:
Nope I contacted BMD and said i need one and a week later it was at my door.

Guys John is a cool guy like 90% of out vendors here and in the jeep world that love out sport as much as we do... I know he has a family and im pretty sure that BMD is a side business.

Agree 100% on both! My experience buying a dual battery tray from him was great. No issues, quick turn around.

I am going to continue to try to get a hold of John.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Adrenaline Offroad
post #14 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 08:39 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Hemo

I can only relate that I have always had good luck communicating with John. I love my Benchmark Dual Battery System. He was able to talk me through a number of questions I had. I have heard other people say they have had trouble getting hold of him but I've never personally experienced that problem.

2008 Rubi Unltd RR Roll Cage - Limb Risers - Evap Skid - Diff Covers PolyPerf HD Ball Joints Reid Hi Steer Knuckles RK 3.5" Triple Threat PRO Longarm Rebel F & R Coil Overs sPod Mini Shrockworks Rock Sliders - Rear Bumper w/ Tire Swing Xenon Flat Flares ORO Onboard Air BD Dual Battery 5.13 Gears 35" BFG KM2s Warn VR12000 Winch Safari Straps Everything Tuffy Security Drawer
post #15 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 09:23 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Thanks for the reply Dr. Dirty & Hemo! You sold me on this oil pan!!
post #16 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 09:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008SLVRJK View Post
Thanks for the reply Dr. Dirty & Hemo! You sold me on this oil pan!!
Call Call Call.. the hassle is worth it
post #17 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 09:31 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Call Call Call.. the hassle is worth it
Will do!! Thanks for the info.
post #18 of 28 Old 10-26-2011, 09:56 PM
TJT
Rock God

Don't bother, not worth the headache.

If you have a problem you're screwed.

There's people that have had problems with their products and Benchmark was no where to be found. No one ever picks up the phone, returns calls, PM's or emails. Their forum activity is dead too. So what if you have a problem? You're gonna add to the number of members here who have issues.

I had the time to wait, but I was pissed when I was told my products would ship right away only to be given a tracking number that was bullshit. Didn't get all my stuff for THREE months and that's after I inventoried everything and made several calls/emails/PMs that he (John @ Benchmark) still owed me stuff.

When he put a thread on JKF about electrical issues on some JK's with his prior version I was alarmed. I got no explanation, no ideas of what to look for, just a notice that the new wiring had been sent. Then I get the wiring with no damn instructions.

When my batteries went bad, no replies. I was on my own.

I bought these products when Benchmark in Dec 2009:
Oil Pan skid (Version 1)
Evap skid (there's better options now)
Dual Battery setup (they've since made several big changes, after a hand full of electrical problems)

By the way, the oil pan was the last to arrive 90 days late. Excuse was they are built "X" amount at a time. If they sell out, you have to wait until they are ready to make another batch. Even after the "in stock - buy now" crap.

There's your warning. I hope I don't see you on here posting up your issues a couple months from now.

Last edited by TJT; 10-26-2011 at 10:02 PM.
post #19 of 28 Old 10-27-2011, 04:39 AM
Wheeler

I freaking love my oil pan from benchmark, yes it took awhile to get here but I called and talked to John and it was here a couple weeks later. I wasn't in that much of a rush anyways. It is the beefiest oil pan I have ever seen. My mechanic friend (fellow wheeler) helped me install it he was super jealous. My stock oil pan got quite dented up, this thing takes a beating and doesn't move. I love it. I ordered their evap skid too, same thing freaking beefy You might have to wait, but you wont be disappointed when your stuff finally arrives!

Jenna
OF4WD #6031
Durham4x4.com

2009 Sahara*Deep Water Blue*315/75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZ*Procomp Series 52 Rims*OME 2.5" Lift*Interior Line-X*Superwinch LP10,000*Benchmark Designs Oil Pan & Evap Skid*Bushwacker Flat Flares*ORE Rock Rails & Trail Table*TMR Front Bumper*LOD Shorty Rear Bumper*4 Hella 500 Lights*JKS Quicker Disconnects*ARB Air Compressor*Tuffy Underseat Drawer*SeatGlovers*Cobra75wxst*Firestick*Daystar Dash Panel*Grill Mod*Mirror Mod
post #20 of 28 Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJT View Post
Don't bother, not worth the headache.

If you have a problem you're screwed.

There's people that have had problems with their products and Benchmark was no where to be found. No one ever picks up the phone, returns calls, PM's or emails. Their forum activity is dead too. So what if you have a problem? You're gonna add to the number of members here who have issues.

I had the time to wait, but I was pissed when I was told my products would ship right away only to be given a tracking number that was bullshit. Didn't get all my stuff for THREE months and that's after I inventoried everything and made several calls/emails/PMs that he (John @ Benchmark) still owed me stuff.

When he put a thread on JKF about electrical issues on some JK's with his prior version I was alarmed. I got no explanation, no ideas of what to look for, just a notice that the new wiring had been sent. Then I get the wiring with no damn instructions.

When my batteries went bad, no replies. I was on my own.

I bought these products when Benchmark in Dec 2009:
Oil Pan skid (Version 1)
Evap skid (there's better options now)
Dual Battery setup (they've since made several big changes, after a hand full of electrical problems)

By the way, the oil pan was the last to arrive 90 days late. Excuse was they are built "X" amount at a time. If they sell out, you have to wait until they are ready to make another batch. Even after the "in stock - buy now" crap.

There's your warning. I hope I don't see you on here posting up your issues a couple months from now.

Sorry you had issues but we take this risk buy dealing with any company over the internet..... You did eventually get your stuff right? Its a pain to wait for shit I know because Im one of the most impatient people on here... I will pay more to have something right now that save a few bucks and get it in a while....

Like I stated before for every guy that had issues there are plenty that have had good experiences....

Last edited by Dr.Dirty; 10-27-2011 at 07:39 AM.
post #21 of 28 Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Sorry you had issues but we take this risk buy dealing with any company over the internet..... You did eventually get your stuff right? Its a pain to wait for shit I know because Im one of the most impatient people on here... I will pay more to have something right now that save a few bucks and get it in a while....

Like I stated before for every guy that had issues there are plenty that have had good experiences....
I'm gonna take my vendor hat off for a second. This is 100% my personal opinion on Benchmark a simply curious question for you Dirty.

That being said, it shocks me to see you, of all people, say something like this about a company that has out right wronged and ignored so many.

You're all over the other guys who are having issues and often point out that they are doing things similar to this and taking days to reply to their threads or threads about them. All the while Benchmark could give a flying shit what anyone thinks of him, his company, his business model, or how he takes care of the people that buy from him.

What made you take up for him all of the sudden? It seems totally out of character for you, and made me say "Huh!?". Lol!

Good product or not, you just shouldn't treat folks like they do over there. Agreed?

I have nothing to gain or lose in regard to Benchmark, it just irks me to see people treated like they don't matter.

Marcus

Edit: I just read the thread again and understand why you're taking up for him. He did you right recently so all is right by you. I could have gained more clarity by just re-reading the thread.

Still shocking considering his track record. I wonder if there is someone out there who has been waiting a few months for the oil pan that you got in a week?

post #22 of 28 Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I'm gonna take my vendor hat off for a second. This is 100% my personal opinion on Benchmark a simply curious question for you Dirty.

That being said, it shocks me to see you, of all people, say something like this about a company that has out right wronged and ignored so many.

You're all over the other guys who are having issues and often point out that they are doing things similar to this and taking days to reply to their threads or threads about them. All the while Benchmark could give a flying shit what anyone thinks of him, his company, his business model, or how he takes care of the people that buy from him.

What made you take up for him all of the sudden? It seems totally out of character for you, and made me say "Huh!?". Lol!

Good product or not, you just shouldn't treat folks like they do over there. Agreed?

I have nothing to gain or lose in regard to Benchmark, it just irks me to see people treated like they don't matter.

Marcus

Edit: I just read the thread again and understand why you're taking up for him. He did you right recently so all is right by you. I could have gained more clarity by just re-reading the thread.

Still shocking considering his track record. I wonder if there is someone out there who has been waiting a few months for the oil pan that you got in a week?

Im not saying BMD business practices dont suck... Thats a known fact. But by now people know what to expect just like ordering form shrockworks you know your gonna wait. In the end the product is well worth it.... I have had nothing but great dealing with BMD for the last few years... I dont agree with any customer being treated like shit... If anyone does any research they will know what the road is gonna bring... ORH is a perfect example the owner is a shithead that has poor practices but given the chance i wouldnt think twice about ordering from him but I also wont expect my top overnight.... I have made custom jeep shit and often thought of mass producing a few things to sell but in all honesty I know that i just dont have enough time in the day..... So its easy for someone to bitch about a slow company when they have no idea waht all it takes to mass produce anything....

EDIT... Also I dont usally get invoved in vendor fufillment issues.... My issue with vendors most the time is the "Used Car Salesman" approach they take to selling stuff.. Not the issue here, people know who they are getting in bed with of they do their research first. Long wait, great parts..... Take it or leave it...... Maybe i should order stuff from you thats back ordered and after a few days dispute the CC charge and expect you to ship it to me anyway

Last edited by Dr.Dirty; 10-27-2011 at 10:26 AM.
post #23 of 28 Old 10-27-2011, 11:04 AM
Wheeler

i can agree that if you have never had a problem you would defend them, but i have heard a lot of people complain about them too. Not trying to start any fights, as i can recall in another thread someone had ordered an oil pan several months before Dr. Dirty and was still waiting. You ordered one and get it in a week. That is just not acceptable. I can understand that it is a side business, but thats no excuse for poor service.

found the thread: https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...230#post931230
post #24 of 28 Old 10-27-2011, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Look Ill tell you guys again.... It takes a bit to get your stuff but its worth the wait..... I don't think that there is anyone that paid for something form benchmark and eventually did not get a product. The main guys that are bitching are the ones that waited a month then did some research and had a kneejerk reaction and called the CC company to dispute the transaction and still expect John to ship the product Many people will say they sent 100s emails but never picked up the phone.... If the guy doesn't answer call back!!! If you still get no response go somewhere else you gave it an honest effort.... For every one of the guys that have had a bad experience with any company there are 4 satisfied customers.

SO you think that its ok to wait 7 months to get a product you already paid for?

post #25 of 28 Old 10-27-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post

Marcus

Agreed, there is no justification for that at all. Regardless of how good their products are, or how "nice of a guy John is" I hope he reads this thread and gets it together,......or at least responds to a fucking email or phone call every once in a blue moon. No, actually I would prefer another company to step up and make another heavy duty oil pan so we can all forget about Benchmark as a company.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode