I'm a douche, must pay attention! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 10-25-2011, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Coonasian

Garage
I'm a douche, must pay attention!

What a crappy two days. I've been on this forum for almost a year and Sunday I:

1) Went wheeling alone in a stock Rubi to the Pearl River Wildlife Management Area in Mississippi.
2) Went through some mud to get to a back road, finally made it across but decided I didn't need to do that again out of sight of other human traffic.
3) Backed out, went sideways as much as backward but made it. Did I mention that a good bit of mud gets in the cab while making sideways progress!
4) Breathed a huge sigh of relief and shifted back into 2 wheel drive.
5) Transfer case handle was loose as a watermelon fart.
6) Transmission would shift but not out of neutral.
7) Kids came by and chewed my ass out for getting a COD Jeep muddy.
8) Burned the fuck out of my arm on the exhaust pipe trying to reach the TC linkage, oh did I mention, no tools!
9) Waited an hour for a wrecker to drive 37 miles.
10) Waited two days for my Jeep thinking the stealership was going to say I screwed up the TC or transmission or both.

The good news:

1) Dealership fixed the linkage with the 82 cent clip you guys talk about all the time.
2} The Jeep was caked with mud but they fixed it under warranty.
3) They took so long because they reflashed my Nav for updates and completed recall #L35, PCM flash for O2 sensor and EGR monitor.

I think I'm going to invest in the Advanced Adapter cable. I need to pay more attention to what you guys are saying than looking at the Trailer Park!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 10-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Rock God

Please tell me about this 82 cent clip

I'm sure I'll think of something
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 Old 10-25-2011, 07:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

The plastic clips that attach the shifter cable to the transfer case and shifter handle.
Only about 50 million threads about them on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 10-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Slow and Low

I just watermelon farted.
post #5 of 30 Old 10-25-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Coonasian

Garage

LOL! Here's one post about the clips. Do a forum search for "transfer case linkage" for others.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...r+case+linkage

Quote:
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

post #6 of 30 Old 10-25-2011, 08:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Hence the phrase "don't wheel alone"

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #7 of 30 Old 10-25-2011, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Hence the phrase "don't wheel alone"
...at least not without some zip ties, bailing wire, and a couple tools.

At least you made it out and are back in business.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 30 Old 10-25-2011, 09:03 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Check out the thread where we list off all the things we carry when wheeling too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #9 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 05:38 AM
Banned

It happened to me 2 weekends ago. It's an easy trail fix Charlie if it happens at the T Case. Carry some of those pieces with you. It's easyish if it is the at the shifter too. You have to take the center console out, but all it's only 4 t 27 screws if you have a 07-10. I replaced both in my drive way in less than an hour, but I used some copper fittings from Lowes that fit perfectly on.

Get the cable if you want, but my fix cost 3 dollars, not 189.00
post #10 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 05:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Don't feel too bad it wasn't at night, and 20 out and your wet with out a change of clothes.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #11 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think we even have a thread on urban extreme wheeling ...

/

post #12 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 08:21 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Im glad they fixed under warranty for you! my dlr did that for me too.... but i was paranoid and hosed the entire engine bay out for three days before bringing it in! haha

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #13 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Banned

You douche.

post #14 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 08:37 AM
JKO Addict!

EVERYONE, needs to deal with the POS transfer case cable clips on BOTH ends. The cheap way is to slice of the "clip" part of the bushings, then install them and slide the cable on the lever. Install a metal washer that closely matches the diameter of the pin on the lever and then hold it in place with a tight fitting "E" clip that grips the indention on the lever pin. (This is much easier to do than describe!)

The more expensive but bulletproof way to fix this once & for all is the Advance Adapters kit, $200.
post #15 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Coonasian

Garage

I don't use tools much, in fact my wife leaves the house if she sees me with a tool. My project today is to pull the console and actually get acquainted with this POS. This will be an achievement for me and then I can go from there. I tried to buy some clips yesterday at the dealership but they used them fixing my Jeep!

Thanks for the tips everyone, they will not go to waste. Oh, and Dan!

Quote:

post #16 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I don't use tools much, in fact my wife leaves the house if she sees me with a tool. My project today is to pull the console and actually get acquainted with this POS. This will be an achievement for me and then I can go from there. I tried to buy some clips yesterday at the dealership but they used them fixing my Jeep!

Thanks for the tips everyone, they will not go to waste. Oh, and Dan!
Charlie! Vice Grips and 2 good swings with a hammer and the POS 4wd shifter knob comes right off. Just use a towel between the vice grips and the shaft.
post #17 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That's a lot of suck. Glad it worked out for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
It happened to me 2 weekends ago. It's an easy trail fix Charlie if it happens at the T Case. Carry some of those pieces with you. It's easyish if it is the at the shifter too. You have to take the center console out, but all it's only 4 t 27 screws if you have a 07-10. I replaced both in my drive way in less than an hour, but I used some copper fittings from Lowes that fit perfectly on.

Get the cable if you want, but my fix cost 3 dollars, not 189.00
pictures? part numbers? I remember you talking about doing it but I never looked.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #18 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

I fixed my breakage at the tcase with a couple of zipties a little over a year ago. I baby the hell out of it going in and out, but I've had no additional failure since *knock wood*

post #19 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned

Search is your friend Larry! It is in the thread about this same shit right below this one.

LOL

Quote:
I don't know. It wasn't that hard. My only problem was the striped t bolt on the console. Would have taken maybe 20 min if I didn't have to dick around with that. And for you guys who pull the 4wd shifter off, your crazy. Vice grips and 2 hearty swings of a hammer. Done! No puching yourself, no black eyes.

Here is what I sued to replace the plastic bushing on both ends. I only used the brass coupling insert, but the nut comes with it. It was like $2.14 and it fits perfectly. Lowes in the plumbing section Watts A-218-LF

post #20 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 09:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Search is your friend Larry! It is in the thread about this same shit right below this one.

LOL
But I didn't want to search, I am lazy today

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #21 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 09:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

You got ripped off. I paid $0.53 per... Purchased about 10 of them just in case.

Mine snapped in a blizzard last year but I was able to crawl underneath and had a friend move the shifter back and fourth so I could see where to re-attach it. Drove it to the dealer the next Monday.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #22 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 10:01 AM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Just use a towel between the vice grips and the shaft.
That's just good advice in general...especially coming from James!
post #23 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 10:07 AM
Granite Guru

Is that just the Rubi T-case that does that? Same thing happened to a brand new Black Ops JK who went wheeling with me one day. Knock on wood I haven't had that problem.

2010 Sahara Unlimited & a 1998 TJ - See my You Tube channel
post #24 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 AM
JKowners Vendor

Location: behind a computer answering questions. Wish it was a trail.

Here is a pic of what that little clip looks like when broken. This was on the interior linkage. It just crumpled when we removed it.

post #25 of 30 Old 10-26-2011, 10:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
That's just good advice in general...especially coming from James!
^
Beat me to the punch !!

The Project is moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode