Discount Tire Cert. of Refund/Replace - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Discount Tire Cert. of Refund/Replace

Just wondering what everyones vew is out DT's Certificate of Refund/Replace? Does anyone have any personal experience with using it? Worth the $$?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 07:14 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the 4wp certain on my km2s. It's annoying with them you have to pay $50 mount and balance if you use it. I'm not sure I'll buy the certs again, at lest for off road tires. They are so damn durable that it's hard to kill them and a plug not just work for you. Passenger car tires I like them.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Granite Guru

I've had them on all my tires. Part of the certs include mount and lifetime balance of the rotation so when you factor in the price of having them mounted they are not that expensive. I killed 2 KM2's out on a desert trip and it was no questions asked. Well worth it in my book as one replaced tire with the tires I run = the same cost of 5 certs if i didnt have it, plus I can take it in as often as I want and get them rotated and balanced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Rock God

Money well spent IMO. I have had a nail go in my sidewall and they replaced the tire no questions asked. They do prorate based upon tread wear but it is very reasonable.The other reason they get my business is the free tire rotation and flat repair they do. Nobody else in town does that. They rotate the tires on my H1 tires even though I didn't buy them there.

post #5 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I have the 4wp certain on my km2s. It's annoying with them you have to pay $50 mount and balance if you use it. I'm not sure I'll buy the certs again, at lest for off road tires. They are so damn durable that it's hard to kill them and a plug not just work for you. Passenger car tires I like them.
I've ruined 2 KM2 35s now, one with 200 miles on it and now one with less than 3000 miles. The sidewalls suck. Wasn't doing anything extreme either time.

My new tire is supposed to be in at Discount Tire today, I hope I don't have to pay mount and balance on new tire. I know I do have to purchase a new cert for the new tire though.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
post #6 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrider View Post
I've ruined 2 KM2 35s now, one with 200 miles on it and now one with less than 3000 miles. The sidewalls suck. Wasn't doing anything extreme either time.
About 35k on mine, plenty of hard trails (missing a few lugs after awhile). Never any sidewall failures, I've put a plug in one from a framing nail. I'd buy them again, but their height is what bothers me. Usually run mine at 10psi or so, had them folded over so the tire is nearly touching the rim!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Rock God

That's what pisses me off! I never go less than 15psi and was the guy using a little more caution through the rocks when mine went. Most of the other guys were driving beat up non-streetable xj's and bashing through stuff.

2007 Rubi Unlimited. Teraflex 2.5 lift + Fox shocks, Nitto Trail Grappler 35s on XD Addicts, 5.38s, Ten Factory rear shafts, Riddler diff covers, Purejeep front axle truss and Teraflex gussets, Tatton front driveline, Rugged Ridge Modular front bumper with XRC8 Comp winch, Superchips programmer, Volant intake, MBRP exhaust, Hella H4 headlight conversion, Body Armor "not so Extreme" Rock Rails, in-cab winch control,Best Top Trek Top.-Sold
post #8 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 09:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
That's what pisses me off! I never go less than 15psi and was the guy using a little more caution through the rocks when mine went. Most of the other guys were driving beat up non-streetable xj's and bashing through stuff.
Too much pressure is worse. Tires wont flex as much and cuts easier. I run 6 to 8 all the time when slow wheeling on my 35 12.5 15s. 10ish if speeds will likely be going a little faster Luke two tracking and such. Has worked well for me for years with different tires and different rigs.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #9 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Too much pressure is worse. Tires wont flex as much and cuts easier. I run 6 to 8 all the time when slow wheeling on my 35 12.5 15s. 10ish if speeds will likely be going a little faster Luke two tracking and such. Has worked well for me for years with different tires and different rigs.
That's a new way for me to look at it. I gotta do something different. I have another cut on the same tire that went that wasn't far from going through as well. I kinda like running a little more because I thought it would be less likely to get damaged and most of the guys I used to run with ran 37s and I figured a little more air helped even out the clearance difference between mine and thiers.

post #10 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 12:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
That's a new way for me to look at it. I gotta do something different. I have another cut on the same tire that went that wasn't far from going through as well. I kinda like running a little more because I thought it would be less likely to get damaged and most of the guys I used to run with ran 37s and I figured a little more air helped even out the clearance difference between mine and thiers.
You may get more clearance, but the tire is stiffer so if something pushes against a sidewall it doesn't give as much. Both times I've cut sidewalls was when running higher pressures for whatever reason. However, I've done things with lower pressures that I thought for sure would cut them but didn't even leave a mark because the tire just wrapped around it.

Realistically, 15 psi is hardly allowing the tire to even bulge much. 10 psi starts a decent bulge. Of course, different sizes and brands act differently so figure out what works best for you. However, 15 is way too high.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #11 of 12 Old 10-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Just wondering what everyones vew is out DT's Certificate of Refund/Replace? Does anyone have any personal experience with using it? Worth the $$?
I think they are worth it...we had a cut in the sidewall of my mtr kevlar, had to pay 50 bucks for a new warranty was all. Free mount n balance....so 50 bucks for new cert and 50 bucks at the time of original purchase i think= 100 bucks for a $350 tire.....not sure what they run these days....
post #12 of 12 Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Rock God

I know I'm reviving a little bit of an old thread but I had another sidewall failure Friday, spent an hour at Discount tire, then had a stick go through yet another sidewall Sunday.

I have to figure out another tire with better sidewalls. I have literally have had 3 ruined KM2s in the last 3 trips offroad. First at 15psi, second at 11psi, and the third at 32psi. Tread depth on this the 2 this weekend 17/32, they come with 19/32. (BFG claims 20/32 but they only measure 19/32)

I'm going to start a new thread on this as well, not sure dirty laundry or what but I need to vent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode