Ordered a winch on Friday - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 10-24-2011, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Ordered a winch on Friday

Just ordered a winch last Friday. I opted for the Recon 10,500lb winch. Say’s it’s waterproof (we’ll see about that) but comes with: synthetic line, wired and wireless remote, and hawse fairlead.

Wondering if anyone else has one of these. I did a lot of research before buying it and found a few people on wrangler forum that ran them and liked them. I was going to go either Smitty or the Recon. Please don’t turn this into a “Warn is the best” thread, I am specifically wanting people’s real life feedback on the Recon winch.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I'll see if i can get better pics later of like the whole Jeep.

Mounted on a Smittybilt universal winch plate I bought here from a member. Winch came pre spooled and seems pretty well sealed up so may be water resistant as they claim. 10,500 LBS and came with wired and wireless remote. I think it is a steal at $479.

-Dan

Last edited by Daniel_M; 12-10-2013 at 11:45 AM.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Rock God

Looks good, can you get some day pics or any pics of the install?? I'm looking to do the same install on the stock bumper and stubby end caps. Where did you buy the winch from? 479 sounds like a great deal.

I don't drink water; fish fuck in it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Do you feel a desire to dance with other men while behind the wheel of the Prius?

Is it true the car only plays Village People music?

Does it have a light on the dash when you get near a gay bar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 08:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Subscribed. Interested to see how this winch works out. Seems like a good winch for the price.

AMP

AMP

'07 JKUR, Steel Blue, Spun Main Bearing Mod @ 46k miles
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
post #5 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 09:06 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Man, that's a killer price. Nice install.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Any winch that saves your ass even once is a good deal compared to being stranded somewhere. Install looks good, winch looks good, if it tugs you off an obstacle once or twice it was worth every penny. Piece of mind baby! Pretty nice Dan!

I'm interested in this too, I keep seeing Engo and Recon popping up a lot now so I'm curious about how well they hold up.

Warn is better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I will get some day pics later today. I dont have any of the install, however. Seems like Truck and Winch is the exclusive dealer for Recon even on Amazon and ebay it comes from them. I bought mine off of ebay since it was $479 out the door, no shipping or tax.

I researched winches extensively and price being a one of the main concerns (don't have $1100 for a Warn). The reason I went Recon was cause 1. I couldn't find any bad reviews and 2. You get more winch at $479: synth line, water proof, 10K LB capacity two remotes etc.

JKMountain, mounting on stock bumper is a PITA. It seems definitely easier to mount to an after market bumper and be done with it, but I wanted to save weight up front so I have no regrets.

Chris, are you attending the Asfir Wheeler 4 Wounded run on Dec. 3rd to Crown King? I am probably going to go so maybe it will be the first real test of this winch, of either myself or others that may need a pull.

-Dan

post #8 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 09:49 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Yes, I have that thread bookmarked. Unless something earth shattering occurs, I'll be out there for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #9 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Granite Guru

Great buy on that winch!
post #10 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Rock God

Sepa here had one at it worked great. i currently have a power plant that im going to get ride of and get this same winch.

Also i know Trucknwinch.com sells this set up with a pagage they dont adversize. it come with, snatch block, treesaver strap and D-rings. its only 50 bucks more. but you have to ask for it.

Jersey
Crew
Dont like im still here? Tough shit! Shut Up & Wheel!
post #11 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

this winch is awesome. moved 2 fallen trees oit of the way that was blocking our path this weekend. one truck was 2 ft wide!

it is a great value winch and the install is about as simple as can get. you wont go wrong with the recon.

sent from my Samsung using tapatalk

2011 Jeep Green JKUR

Cincinnati JKOs join our Facebook group
CJKC
Cincy JK Crew - rides only, no BS
post #12 of 13 Old 11-02-2011, 11:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Great buy and it looks good... keep us updated on performance.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #13 of 13 Old 11-17-2011, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Mountain View Post
Looks good, can you get some day pics or any pics of the install?? I'm looking to do the same install on the stock bumper and stubby end caps. Where did you buy the winch from? 479 sounds like a great deal.
Here is a daylight picture. More pics can be seen here https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...=14862&page=34

-Dan

Last edited by Daniel_M; 12-10-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode