Benchmark Designs oil pan OR RROR oil pan/tranny skid? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-23-2011, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Benchmark Designs oil pan OR RROR oil pan/tranny skid?

Which one you guys think would be the better option? I mean the RROR one protect the oil pan and transmission, but how necessary is it to cover your transmission anyways? I have never personally heard of anyone damaging their transmission on anything, I may be completely misinformed, but I wanted to get some opinions.....Plus the RROR adds a lot more weight/loss of clearance.

What do you think? Is the RROR a better route? Or will replacing the oil pan with a heavy duty one offer sufficient protection?

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 04:16 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Another one to consider is ours. Most people will only run one skid and that is for the oil pan. Check around, yes it is held on by an adhesive, but it works!

Check around.
http://www.gorancho.com/jkrockgear/oilpan.php

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 04:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I like the benchmark pan....

combined with the RK tranny pan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 04:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho Suspension View Post
Another one to consider is ours. Most people will only run one skid and that is for the oil pan. Check around, yes it is held on by an adhesive, but it works!

Check around.
http://www.gorancho.com/jkrockgear/oilpan.php

No Offense, tougher than it looks, but I have seen several fail. Most of them fell off after taking the impact (they did their job), others just crumpled up taking the oil pan with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post

Ding ding ding we have a weiner....err....winner!

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #5 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

So you guys dont think its necessary to protect your transmission? Has anyone here actually heard of anyone seriously damaging their transmission offroad?i sure havent.....

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #6 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
No Offense, tougher than it looks, but I have seen several fail. Most of them fell off after taking the impact (they did their job), others just crumpled up taking the oil pan with them.

So you know of someone who has ripped off their oil pan?

post #7 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
So you guys dont think its necessary to protect your transmission? Has anyone here actually heard of anyone seriously damaging their transmission offroad?i sure havent.....
I havent ran an engine or tranny skid in years becaus ethey wont work with my lift.... My oil pan took lots of abuse before failing and my tranny pan is hammer dogshit..... skids are a great idea and the smoother you keep the belly of the jeep the easier it will slide over obstacles...
post #8 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 04:30 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

If it can be protected, I'd protect it. Especially if you're going to be bouncing around in a lot of rock garden type scenarios.

Marcus

post #9 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 04:31 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post

I truly haven't heard of one falling off if installed properly nor of one crumbling either. Not saying you are wrong or you didn't see this. But I know many running these and they have done what they are supposed to. Simple install, simple insurance. ( I hope this doesn't sound jerky, I haven't heard of any crumbling up, I have heard of people not giving it time to cure and falling off though.)

Quote:
If Mel from ORE says for the 07-11 JK you only need one skid and that is for the oil pan, I believe him.

post #10 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Im just trying to figure out if the rror skid is overkill or not considering the fact that the oil pan is what really needs protection the most. Anyone who has/had heard of/or seen anyone tear up their transmission our wheeling, please chime in.

post #11 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Wheeler

I just did a full M.O.R.E. engine skid. covers oil and trans.
post #12 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

My personal choice is a skid; RiverRaider in aluminum to be exact. The heavy oil pan is not a bad idea at all, I just do not like the idea of transferring the shock from a hit to the oil pan mounting bolts and engine block.

As far as protecting the transmission pan a rock or tree branch can jump up from any where. I have a manual so I'm not worried about hitting the trans the extra protection of the RR skid is just a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #13 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 05:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dirty View Post

Yup. Nice setup.
post #14 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 05:24 PM
Rock God

Garage

My only issue with the RROR skid set up is the cross pipe for the exhaust rub... even after bending the closest pins. I need to flatten part of the exhaust pipe for clearance. I like the benchmark pan, but I chose the RROR simply because I didnt want the pan itself to be taking the hit... or to be getting pushed on

Joe -
-
-
-
post #15 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Wheeler

I have RROR steel oil/tranny and transfer case skids.
The oil pan has a few minor rock scratches. THe tranny skid has more than paid for itself! It has protected my tranny when sliding off rocks on wet trails.
I do not have any recent pictures but these skids take a beating and do their job.
I must be honest and relay my one complaint. I have the first generation and since I purchased mine the oil pan and tranny skids mate up differently.
Rubber bushings are supplied to use when attaching the oil and tranny skid to isolate engine vibes. Due to the oil pan skid being directly attached to the motor, vibes get transfered through the skids to the cross member. For me this seems to be btw 1500 and 2000 rpms. It is not alot of vibe but enough to be annoying to me. THe bushings do not like road salt/etc and do not last through a winter. I do not fault RROR at all for this, just it is what it is. Road salt sucks. Speaking with Kenny, and directions, say not to tighten the three bolts too tight that connect the oil pan/tranny skids. I found the happy medium for a bit and then the salt ate the bushings.....

08 Unlimited born 1/08
Flame Red, Dual Tops
3.5" Clayton Lift
35" Cooper Discovery STs Cragar Soft 8s
5:38s, ARBs F/R, RCVs 35 spline front axle,
Nitto rear 35 spline axle
ProRock 44
Shrokworks sliders
Clayton Offroad skids/crossmember
Tom Woods F/R driveshafts
Mr Fister Fab Front Bumper
VIAR OBA
post #16 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 05:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

This is all great, but try to get Benchmark to answer any form of communication. I would love to pick-up a BD oil pan, and have tried to e-mail and call them repeatedly to no avail. I am beginning to think the company does not exist anymore.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #17 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Rock God

I too am looking at the RROR skids the RK will protect and looks like a good option but the RROR will protect and give a smooth belly to slide on and protect. The last thing you want on the trail is to lose your trans or oil fluid and have to be towed out.

Sent by signal flare

post #18 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Rock God

Garage

If you are bouncing off rocks you want to replace the weak OEM trans and transfer case skids AND the cross-member, as well as add an oil pan skid. I'd even recommend replacing the OEM gas tank skid.

I use my skids a lot. I have the River Raider full package plus a Poison Spyder cross member. The only complaint I have is the rear of the transfer-case skid needs some extra support; I added a bracket.

Mine are scratched, dented and malformed after 18 months worth of hard abuse. The heads of many of the bolts were ground down and needed to be cut off with a torch. Imagine what my transmission and transfer case would look like without them. A little work with a press and a BFH, some new paint and mounting hardware, and I'm ready for another year wheeling.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #19 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 06:05 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
This is all great, but try to get Benchmark to answer any form of communication. I would love to pick-up a BD oil pan, and have tried to e-mail and call them repeatedly to no avail. I am beginning to think the company does not exist anymore.
Im with him I tryed for weeks to get ahold of him. I finally Found one used to replace the oil pan I crushed.

The stock pan was still holding oil and I did not hit the pickup tube but it would only hold about 5 qts not the original 6. As for the tranny pan I have crushed that too. right under that is the tranny filter and when that cracks it sucks air and it makes you dead on the trail not moving. Been there done that. got towed home.

My .02 get a full belly pan skid plate and not just one or the other. I have personally crushed both and replaced both

Build it! Run it! Break it! Repeat!
post #20 of 27 Old 10-24-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
My personal choice is a skid; RiverRaider in aluminum to be exact. The heavy oil pan is not a bad idea at all, I just do not like the idea of transferring the shock from a hit to the oil pan mounting bolts and engine block.

As far as protecting the transmission pan a rock or tree branch can jump up from any where. I have a manual so I'm not worried about hitting the trans the extra protection of the RR skid is just a bonus.

I have a manual as well, is there really no concern for hitting the transmission? Im just curious as to why, because it sits so high?

post #21 of 27 Old 11-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I have a manual as well, is there really no concern for hitting the transmission? Im just curious as to why, because it sits so high?
Sorry just noticed the question. An automatic has an fluid pan that if pierced will stop you on the trail. The pan is just as thin as the oil pan. On the other hand, the manual does not have a pan and the case is a lot thicker and tougher than the auto's pan.

The reason for a skid on a manual is to have a flat bottom so rocks or other items can slide upon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #22 of 27 Old 11-01-2011, 09:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm going with the same setup as Dr. Dirty after Christmas...Dirty's my role model.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #23 of 27 Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Yeah im convinced there is no need to armor your transmission if you have a manual. Plus the weight saving with the benchmark, its a no brainer. I hopeI do not regreat not going with a full skid. I figure for now an evap skid, rocker guards, the stock skids and the benchmark will provide enough protection.

post #24 of 27 Old 11-02-2011, 07:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

So after your rant the other day you still chose to go with BMD?

Quote:
Agreed, there is no justification for that at all. Regardless of how good their products are, or how "nice of a guy John is" I hope he reads this thread and gets it together,......or at least responds to a fucking email or phone call every once in a blue moon. No, actually I would prefer another company to step up and make another heavy duty oil pan so we can all forget about Benchmark as a company.
post #25 of 27 Old 11-02-2011, 09:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
So you know of someone who has ripped off their oil pan?
Ripped off their oil-pan no...ripped off their glue on oil-pan skid, yes.

Crumpled their stock oil pan...yes, I did! That is why I ended up with the benchmark on my last JK. For the cost of a stock replacement pan and a skid it just made sense. Then after abusing the benchmark pan and being forced to use it as a jacking point to lift the front end (it is plenty strong enough!) I am sold.

To clarify for all: I was not knocking Rancho (at least not intentionaly), I have seen their skid hold up to some brutal hits. The catastrophic failure I witnessed was the fault of the driver. Bad line, bad spotting and way to much throttle. The skid did crumple as well as the oil pan. The other half a dozen or so "failures" that I have seen were simply the skid coming off at an inopertune time, usually after having done its job and taking several hard hits. Maybe it was a bad install, prep etc. My point being a bolt on item will come unglued a lot less than a glue on item.

Rancho: For as simple a design as it is, why haven't you guys made a full replacement pan, especially for those that have already damaged their pan eliminating the ability to use your skid??

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode