Complete Fail on Tuffy Security Products Trunk Insert! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 10-22-2011, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Complete Fail on Tuffy Security Products Trunk Insert!

Okay, so I have owned several Tuffy products and always loved them, but who the hell designed THIS ONE?!??!?!

So, I was about to install the Tuffy Security Deck Enclosure(their version of the instatrunk) in my 2012 JK. I am all excited because it looks awesome and seems like it'll be perfect...

UNTIL I read the instructions. The ONLY points it installs in the vehicle is by 4 torx bolts(2 each side) through the same holes as where the hardtop installs. And the bracket goes overtop of the hardtop's lip.

So, now I realize that when I have my soft top on or topless, ANYBODY with a torx bit can unscrew 4 bolts in under 30 seconds and simply remove the entire trunk with NOTHING stopping them! What's the point of that crap?!?!

However, I thought maybe there's a saving grace....there's an additional security step where you can drill into the body. Great, except remember that the bracket installs OVERTOP the hardtop lip! So I can install it into the body but then I'll never be able to remove my hardtop!

So my three options are

1) Don't drill into the body and everytime I swap my top completely uninstall and reinstall the trunk(which isn't the end of the world). But then it's not really secure at all because my wife could break in about 30 seconds by removing 4 obvious exposed torx bolts.

2) Drill into the body and "permanently" install the trunk. However, based on their design I can no longer remove my hardtop if I do that. Why would you sell a product for a Jeep that means you can't swap tops anymore!?!?

3) Send back the trunk and find one that is secure and I can still swap my tops because it's a Jeep.

Again, I love Tuffy Products, but this trunk for the 2011+ JK's interior is designed for the people who never remove their hardtop. I just wish they admitted it interfered with swapping tops before I ordered it and that it's only secured to the vehicle by 4 very exposed torx bolts if you want to still swap tops.

Sorry for the vent, just frustrated. I didn't see any complaints on this product when I did my research and only discovered this when I went to install.... I guess I could've found out in advance somehow, but why not state this fact in advance so I know what I'm ordering...grrr

-Brett
---------------------------------------------
My Jeep: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 6-Spd Manual, Cosmos Blue
"The Smurf":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Jeeps:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-22-2011, 11:31 AM

Or... you could do what I just did. Drill the 4 bolts through the fender well and install with nylon lock washers so it is very secure. Then just not install the 2 brackets that go over the hardtop rail. I just wish I had cut the brackets first (the ones that you attach to the fenders- not the over the rail ones) before I installed them so it would have looked a little cleaner. By the way, it is nice having very secure storage for my tools.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Rock God

i just dont leave anything in my jeep but an old throw-down. its part of the tao if the jeep. a house full of jade and gold will not stay secure long.

but along the line of your complaint - i have seen many many lockboxes or safes etc that are just the way your describe - easy to take the entire thing - worry about opening it later.

still, knowing criminals fairly well - theyre usually on drugs and looking for quick cash and small items of value - ipods, iphones, cash.. harldy anyones going to steal an entire box, or risk taking the time to remove it hoping there is somethign of value in it...

O||||O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-22-2011, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaxx View Post
Or... you could do what I just did. Drill the 4 bolts through the fender well and install with nylon lock washers so it is very secure. Then just not install the 2 brackets that go over the hardtop rail. I just wish I had cut the brackets first (the ones that you attach to the fenders- not the over the rail ones) before I installed them so it would have looked a little cleaner. By the way, it is nice having very secure storage for my tools.
This looks like it might be a solution, you don't have any issues with it in this form??

-Brett
---------------------------------------------
My Jeep: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 6-Spd Manual, Cosmos Blue
"The Smurf":

Previous Jeeps:

post #5 of 5 Old 10-22-2011, 02:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i run the bestop tonneau cover. works like a charm.

i dont keep valuable shit in my jeep, i install valuable shit on my jeep.

but that does suck about the tuffy deck, never knew it was so easy to take in and out...good luck with your solution

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode