Speaking of gas mileage - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 10-22-2011, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Speaking of gas mileage

I performed a highly technical experiment last week.

I normally average 14 to 14.5 mpgs. Last week after I filled the tank with 87 octane, I decided to drive the JK like a little old lady. It was 95% city driving.

The JK's computer said I got 16.2 mpg. When I calculated it by hand it was 15.64.

I'm back to driving normally. After all, it's a fucking Jeep. Part of it's charm is the shitty mileage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to sierram37
Auto getting 16

My auto I get about 16. I have'nt recalibrated the speedo for the 35's as I run the stock size in the winter. You are right - It's a friggin Jeep. Not the most aerodynamic rig out there.

How do you like your Overland Hemi Cherokee. I rented one a while back for a trip to Los Angeles and I was impressed. the overland with a HEMI would be awfully nice! The overland has the nice stitched leather correct? I think they did a nice job on this version. I've got a really old '93.

Placerville, CA - Home of the Rubicon Trail
1952 M-37 Army Truck -
2007 Jeep Rubicon
2012 Ford Escape AWD
post #3 of 20 Old 10-22-2011, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierram37 View Post
My auto I get about 16. I have'nt recalibrated the speedo for the 35's as I run the stock size in the winter. You are right - It's a friggin Jeep. Not the most aerodynamic rig out there.

How do you like your Overland Hemi Cherokee. I rented one a while back for a trip to Los Angeles and I was impressed. the overland with a HEMI would be awfully nice! The overland has the nice stitched leather correct? I think they did a nice job on this version. I've got a really old '93.
The Overland is freaking awesome. I was originally looking at a Limited and adding stuff that came stock with the Overland. Plus the Overland interior is very nice and costs less than a Limited equipped with stock Overland stuff. The only upgrades I got was the HEMI, 730N, and tow package.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 AM
JKO Addict!

I just regeared and thought I might see a difference I have not so far but damn i am glad I can hold a speed on the freeway so it all balances itself out
post #5 of 20 Old 10-22-2011, 10:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Yep, my display is always off. I get a consistent 16.5mpg on the display when I drive it how I want to. It's 17.5-17.8 if I drive like a grandpa. Hardly worth it.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 20 Old 10-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Wheeler

That's really strange - I consistently get between 19 and 21 every tank, calculated and tracked by the Fuelly website (trip computer says 20.xx-21.xx almost all the time) in an 07 2-door with auto trans. Then again I'm at stock height, so that might make it a hair more aero than lifted?
post #7 of 20 Old 10-24-2011, 09:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDakka View Post
again I'm at stock height, so that might make it a hair more aero than lifted?
A lot more aero actually. It's a dramatic difference when you go higher in the air column. Combine that with the average 3" lift, 1.5" taller tire (just in gained height), added rolling resistance, and load on the engine...mpg drops very fast.

Sent via paper airplane

| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

post #8 of 20 Old 10-24-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
That's really strange - I consistently get between 19 and 21 every tank, calculated and tracked by the Fuelly website (trip computer says 20.xx-21.xx almost all the time) in an 07 2-door with auto trans. Then again I'm at stock height, so that might make it a hair more aero than lifted?
You also probably have 3.21 gears as well.

, Granite,
post #9 of 20 Old 10-24-2011, 04:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
Wait! Are you telling me that my 5.13's are costing me 1.4mpg!?!?! They are coming out!

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #10 of 20 Old 10-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Garage

I drove RubiKong 4 hours from Miami to Ocala. (6 Speed, 5.38's, 40" tires, D60's) I set the cruise control on 80mph as it was the wee hours of the morning... I think Don Johnson's Cigarette Boat gets better fuel economy...lol

I stopped 4 times to fill it.. 320 miles I don't know the math, but we'll just call it bad.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #11 of 20 Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
... I think Don Johnson's Cigarette Boat gets better fuel economy...lol
What about his Camaro that'll run on two wheels?

post #12 of 20 Old 10-24-2011, 05:16 PM
JKO Addict!

I tell every one I get 20 mph I know I don't but I feel a lot better.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #13 of 20 Old 10-24-2011, 08:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

Pulled the RIPP 3 weeks ago, back up to the high 16's now.

post #14 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 09:01 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I've got the tow pkg so it should be 3.73, no?
post #15 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 09:05 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I've got the tow pkg so it should be 3.73, no?
07 auto with factory tow package is 4.10's.

post #16 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
07 auto with factory tow package is 4.10's.
Thought the autos had 3.73s

My '10 auto JKU with tow has 3.73s.

Back to the original topic...avg 14 ish. But had it serviced last week and right off the lot the cpu said 18.4! Buuuut that dropped pretty quickly. I never see it that high

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
post #17 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 04:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsport View Post
Thought the autos had 3.73s

My '10 auto JKU with tow has 3.73s.

Back to the original topic...avg 14 ish. But had it serviced last week and right off the lot the cpu said 18.4! Buuuut that dropped pretty quickly. I never see it that high
Factory 4.10's stopped in 08 or 09 for non Rubi models.

post #18 of 20 Old 11-03-2011, 05:18 PM
Rock God

In city I get maybe 14 on stock shit and rubi wheels. Im thinking about regearing to try and get acceleration so I'm not unconsciously hitting the gas so hard.

On highway I pull high 18's

Sent via Pony Express

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #19 of 20 Old 11-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daspes View Post
Factory 4.10's stopped in 08 or 09 for non Rubi models.
Did not know that, Thanks

"With all due respect sir, I believe this will be our finest hour"
post #20 of 20 Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I drove RubiKong 4 hours from Miami to Ocala. (6 Speed, 5.38's, 40" tires, D60's) I set the cruise control on 80mph as it was the wee hours of the morning... I think Don Johnson's Cigarette Boat gets better fuel economy...lol

I stopped 4 times to fill it.. 320 miles I don't know the math, but we'll just call it bad.

holy shit... there are other words that come to mind then bad, I am now broke is sitting at the top of the list, terrible is another
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode