Time to lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Time to lift

Hello everyone Joebe from SFV here.
Bought my jeep few months ago and I luv it. I've enjoyed it stock, but now it's time I begin to work on her, and I will begin with the lift. Problem is I never took on such a big project before. The plan is to go with 33" tires. What do you all recommend for the lift. What other things should I be considering when it comes to lifting my jeep?

2008 Jeep Wrangler X Sport
2 door
3.8L V6
6 speed

Thanks
Joebe

Last edited by joebe82; 10-21-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebe82 View Post
Hello everyone Joebe from SFV here.
Bought my jeep few months ago and I luv it. I've enjoyed it stock, but now it's time I begin to work on her, and I will begin with the lift. Problem is I never took on such a big project before. The plan is to go with 33" tires. What do you all recommend for the lift. What other things should I be considering when it comes to lifting my jeep?

2008 Jeep Wrangler X Sport
2 door
3.6L V6
6 speed

Thanks
Joebe
For 33" tires, a 2.5" or 3" lift is a good place to start. I recommend Rock Krawler as you can easily keep building up the lift you want given how into it you get. Old Man Emu (OME) and Teraflex make great lifts, too.

There's nothing to be scared about. Unless you go long arm, most lifts and components are bolt on.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #3 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

First of all, welcome to JKO!

I wouldn't go 33"s. You can get a 2" spacer lift (around $150!) and then run 35"s. Now that will bring the bitchen to your rig

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-20-2011, 11:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
First of all, welcome to JKO!

I wouldn't go 33"s. You can get a 2" spacer lift (around $150!) and then run 35"s. Now that will bring the bitchen to your rig
x2.

Don't waste the money on 33's.
You don't even need a lift to run 33's anyways.

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #5 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks guys. More input.
With which ever size tire I go with, will I need to change gear ratio, disk breaks, rear axle? What about power out put? Will I lose if I go say 35? I keep reading about long arm, mid arm, flex arm, what does it all mean?
post #6 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacabb View Post
x2.

Don't waste the money on 33's.
You don't even need a lift to run 33's anyways.
I just saw a jeep unlimited with 33s. It looks nice. Parked mine next to it. Mine very stock, and with that I decided to go with 35. The flexibility that rock krawler has to adjusting the height makes me consider it, over some others. But will continue to search before I make my decision.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 08:46 AM
JKO Addict!

35" s but now I want 37"s or a 38 lol it will never end...

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #8 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 10:09 AM
JKO Addict!

If you're really hell bent on 33's, just do some spacers and either some inexpensive shocks or shock extenders. or you can do a frankenlift with 4 door springs and a 1" front spacer.

but i agree that 33's are a waste of $. the only issue with going bigger is gears.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #9 of 14 Old 10-21-2011, 09:00 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

With 33"s or 35"s you won't have to regear. You'll lose a bit of your power but it won't be bad. You may decide to regear later depending on how you use the rig but its something that you won't have to worry about at first. Just see what you think when you drive it. No need to spend money untill your use of the rig dictates it. Same with brakes. I didn't feel the need to upgrade them untill I went 37"s.

Oh, and you aren't gonna have to do anything to the rear axle.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #10 of 14 Old 10-22-2011, 10:24 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebe82 View Post
I just saw a jeep unlimited with 33s. It looks nice. Parked mine next to it. Mine very stock, and with that I decided to go with 35. The flexibility that rock krawler has to adjusting the height makes me consider it, over some others. But will continue to search before I make my decision.
35's on a JK is the way to go. Anything smaller and most guys are not happy and ends up being a waste of money.

Rock Krawler makes a great lift and the 2.5" lift is a great starting point. The height is perfect for 35's. You can adjust it and upgrade it very easy.

One thing to keep in mind though when you are looking is look at a kit that will last. A LOT of the cheaper lifts tend to sag over time and then you will be right back at looking at lifts again. So, do it right the first time and it is cheaper in the long run. Also look at lifts you can upgrade. Rock Krawler is a great lift to look at along with TeraFlex and Synergy Suspension.

Feel free to PM, email, or call us if we can help you with anything. We carry many different lifts and can help you choose the right one that will work best for you and your budget.

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #11 of 14 Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
35's on a JK is the way to go. Anything smaller and most guys are not happy and ends up being a waste of money.

Rock Krawler makes a great lift and the 2.5" lift is a great starting point. The height is perfect for 35's. You can adjust it and upgrade it very easy.

One thing to keep in mind though when you are looking is look at a kit that will last. A LOT of the cheaper lifts tend to sag over time and then you will be right back at looking at lifts again. So, do it right the first time and it is cheaper in the long run. Also look at lifts you can upgrade. Rock Krawler is a great lift to look at along with TeraFlex and Synergy Suspension.

Feel free to PM, email, or call us if we can help you with anything. We carry many different lifts and can help you choose the right one that will work best for you and your budget.

-Jason

Will do Jason thanks. 35's is what I will go with. Now to research lifts.

post #12 of 14 Old 10-23-2011, 11:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I went with the 2.5" Stock Mod from Rock Krawler, then added lower control arms, front tie rod, etc. as my needs changed. I'm going to add rear uppers and rear track bar and move to 37" tires at the end of the year. The flex is great, and the kit allowed me to build in pieces and stages. I have lots of pics if you're interested in seeing them.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
post #13 of 14 Old 10-26-2011, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

What of a locking frontal diff? Should I be getting it now as well or wait?

post #14 of 14 Old 10-26-2011, 09:27 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage

I'd say that depends on 2 things. How you are going to use the rig on the trail. And if you have $ that you really want to spend.

A Jeep with open difs can get up some hard trails. So I wouldn't worry about the locker untill you find that you are wanting to run trails that require them. If you do run the hard trails that require them, then by all means get locked asap. Lockers are amazing.

Also, I'd run the rig for a while on the 35"s and what ever lift you end up with to see if you are happy with the gearing. Because if you do in the end decide to regear that would be the perfect time to add the locker.

I'd probably go ahead and reenforce the front axle with C gussets and tube inserts. Not a lot of $ and will keep things nice and straight up front.

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 10-26-2011 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode