Jeep Trailer Advice Wanted. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Jeep Trailer Advice Wanted.

Howdy,

I'm looking for a trailer to haul the occasional landscaping stuff (mulch bags, small trees, bushes) and my gear when I go camping. I'd like it to be a military or military-looking trailer. I can also restore vehicles so the condition isn't much of an issue. I want to do it in flat-black or something. Anyway...

My problem is, the ones I'm finding way anywhere from 1200-2700lbs empty. This is way too much weight for my 2dr to haul on long trips. Are there lighter military trailers? I see one called a Bantum TC3 that looks like it may be lighter.

M332 trailer @ 2700lbs empty!
M101A1 trailer @ 1200 empty!
Bantum TC3 @ ?

What I'm looking for is some trailer advice/models/tips.

Thanks

-Sheep

also...

O||||O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 10:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackSheep View Post
Howdy,

I'm looking for a trailer to haul the occasional landscaping stuff (mulch bags, small trees, bushes) and my gear when I go camping. I'd like it to be a military or military-looking trailer. I can also restore vehicles so the condition isn't much of an issue. I want to do it in flat-black or something. Anyway...

My problem is, the ones I'm finding way anywhere from 1200-2700lbs empty. This is way too much weight for my 2dr to haul on long trips. Are there lighter military trailers? I see one called a Bantum TC3 that looks like it may be lighter.

M332 trailer @ 2700lbs empty!
M101A1 trailer @ 1200 empty!
Bantum TC3 @ ?

What I'm looking for is some trailer advice/models/tips.

Thanks

-Sheep

also...
i had the same issue when looking for one. In the end i just bought a TSC 5x7 and did a SOA and bigger tires/wheels. then added some sides from plywood and stakes to hold what i was hauling.

it only weighed a few hundred lbs... Then again, it wasn't rated for that much either.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #3 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I believe both the Bantams and M416s weight about 800 lbs empty.
I was lucky to find a David Bradley trailer; which only weighs 450 lbs empty but is very heavy duty. Maybe try to locate one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblegoose1 View Post
I believe both the Bantams and M416s weight about 800 lbs empty.
I was lucky to find a David Bradley trailer; which only weighs 450 lbs empty but is very heavy duty. Maybe try to locate one.
800 is still a monster. I may have to go with the TSCO trailer and just make it look sweet somehow and not like a lawnmower carrier.

O||||O
post #5 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 AM
JKO Addict!

I have a M416 and you hardly notice it back there even behind my 2 dr. Or kust buils your oen trailer to your own specs. When i built my teardrop, the frame was all 2x2 tube with a 2.5 inch backbone that ran from front to back with eecievers at both ends, 3500 lb torsion axle and 32 inch tires that weighed 480 lbs. It didnt have a deck or sides though so add nother couple hundred for that.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #6 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 02:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

A loaded M416 is definitely noticeable with the stock V6, not unbearable just noticeable. I'm working on a new design to be built off a used EZ-Loader boat trailer with an empty weight of 350#s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 07:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Pretty sure the M416 empty weight is ~500 lbs
I dont even notice it back there unless its loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #8 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

awesome - looks like what i want is a 1/4 ton military trailer like the m416. now to find one...

can anyone identify this?

O||||O

Last edited by TheBlackSheep; 10-20-2011 at 07:32 PM.
post #9 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 07:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Looks like an m101 or 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
Dirty Minion for life™.:the finger:
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
The fact that there is some Fag in you should be upsetting to say the least.
post #10 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 07:47 PM
JKO Addict!

It is a 101 or 105. Much larger and heavier than a 416. Even loaded for a week of wheeling and camping, it pulls easy. Unless you're hauling gold bricks around, you'll be find with one. The issue will be finding one and then paying the large sum of money that they command. It's pretty common to see them in the 7 to 800 range in semi rough condition. For that amount of money, you could build a badass trailer to fit your needs exactly.

For reference, the trailer I mentioned earlier I only had about $400 into it. Again, it didn't have a deck or sides so add a little more coin for that but then you have a brand new no rust built to your specs trailer. You could probably save some money and weight by changing up materials here and there too.

post #11 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
It is a 101 or 105. Much larger and heavier than a 416. Even loaded for a week of wheeling and camping, it pulls easy. Unless you're hauling gold bricks around, you'll be find with one. The issue will be finding one and then paying the large sum of money that they command. It's pretty common to see them in the 7 to 800 range in semi rough condition. For that amount of money, you could build a badass trailer to fit your needs exactly.

For reference, the trailer I mentioned earlier I only had about $400 into it. Again, it didn't have a deck or sides so add a little more coin for that but then you have a brand new no rust built to your specs trailer. You could probably save some money and weight by changing up materials here and there too.
youre saying the 101 @ 1340lbs empty will pull easily?

O||||O

Last edited by TheBlackSheep; 10-20-2011 at 08:03 PM.
post #12 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 08:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
youre saying the 101 @ 1340lbs empty will pull easily?
Sorry, but no. I meant my 416 loaded pulls easily. That's what happens when you try to type a reply and are talking with someone at the same time. You leave a sentence or two out. lol

post #13 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 08:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Jersey is a little too far of a road trip for u but there was a bradley trailer not too long ago in fs section.

Sent from the bat phone!

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #14 of 41 Old 10-20-2011, 09:00 PM
Rock God

Check out this build thread...if it goes as planned you should be able to build a sweet trailer for under a grand. This guys fab skills are out of this world.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ub-trailer-kit
post #15 of 41 Old 10-21-2011, 12:50 AM
Granite Guru

Saw this out there.....had it advertised at $750 but he wants offers

http://columbus.craigslist.org/atq/2603779446.html

2008 Unlimited Rubicon
3" BDS Lift
40" Nitto Mud Grapplers
DIY Beadlocks
Lots of things to come
post #16 of 41 Old 10-21-2011, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Settle View Post
Saw this out there.....had it advertised at $750 but he wants offers

http://columbus.craigslist.org/atq/2603779446.html
ya, it was sold when i called. thanks man.

Espo - ya, as long as it comes with leaf springs and a decent stud pattern for some real tires - i can make it work.

O||||O

Last edited by TheBlackSheep; 10-21-2011 at 02:30 AM.
post #17 of 41 Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:

Espo - ya, as long as it comes with leaf springs and a decent stud pattern for some real tires - i can make it work.
He is basing the design components on the typical harbor freight or northern tool utility trailers, which are leaf sprung and have a Jeep bolt pattern, but not the JK pattern I don't think. You can always build a beefier base trailer to use as well.
post #18 of 41 Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
He is basing the design components on the typical harbor freight or northern tool utility trailers, which are leaf sprung and have a Jeep bolt pattern, but not the JK pattern I don't think. You can always build a beefier base trailer to use as well.
i saw a little 250lb trailer at lowes for 400$ prob can find one used - bolt pattern doesnt matter to me much as long as it can have real vehicle sized tires.

O||||O
post #19 of 41 Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Granite Guru

M101A2s

post #20 of 41 Old 10-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Rock God

M416 is what you want. The 101s will be too heavy by the time you get them loaded up. 1/4 ton is a great match for the JK. Mine ways in at 1100 lbs fully loaded with a lid, tanks, and 35's
post #21 of 41 Old 10-22-2011, 01:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Another critter you may potentially encounter in your quest for a jeep trailer is the G518 - also called a Ben-hur because it looks like like a chariot and was made by the Ben-Hur MFG. co.

The G518 is a lot rarer than M101s, M105s and eve M416s.
It's bigger and heavier than a 416, listed as a 1-ton capacity with a 4x8 bed, 18" sides, 20" wheels off of a deuce and a half but it still pulls ok behind my unlimited.

I did take a couple of leaves out of the springs to soften it up some.
I snagged mine in fairly decent shape for $250
great thing about TX - rust isn't usually a problem!

The main problem is the wheels - theyre the old 2 piece split ring wheels - also called widowmakers because if the ring isnt seated just right when you goto air up the tire, it will pop off and potentially decapitate you.
Stockton will make modern wheels for it, just havent had the extra cash to throw at it yet.
I turned mine into a camping deal - military indestructibility, parking brake etc made it a good base to work from.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25988

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #22 of 41 Old 10-22-2011, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

if i find a good deal on a military 1/4 ton ill scoop it up for sure. but im impatient - so ill probably make my own. i appreciate the enthusiasm so far and good info.

badpunkin - thats a monster man. i like those but they are too heavy for the 2dr x imo. esp w/ the 3.73 gearing. the trailer itself is almost my max towing cap. ALSO - if u see any for sale or on CL up your way give me a shout.

_________----- EDIT----_________

Dude wtf - all of this talk of trailers reminded me of an old trailer frame i never paid any mind to in the back acres of my property in the woods - i just went and checked it out - its pretty f*cking hefty... ill post some pics and see what u guys think it is. it was covered in an old tarp which has pretty much rotted away - it had a wooden floor and rails at some point - it has around 5-7 leafs on each side tho and what look like normal road tires - the metal is only superficially rusted. score!!! i saw it when i was practicing tracking with my dog in the winter last year and forgot all about it.

going to put my old 2dr X springs on it. booya. omg winning!

O||||O

Last edited by TheBlackSheep; 10-22-2011 at 03:00 PM.
post #23 of 41 Old 10-22-2011, 05:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I just scored an m116a3 with humv wheels, in excellent shape with the bows and tarp. pics from the ad

Thing tows great, better than my 5x8 enclosed, can't tell it's there unless I stop or go, with the pintle play. Surge brake and parking brakes all work well. It is not any wider than the jk. 800#s empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenDrinken View Post
Dirty Minion for life™.:the finger:
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
The fact that there is some Fag in you should be upsetting to say the least.

Last edited by frenchlayer; 10-22-2011 at 05:18 PM.
post #24 of 41 Old 10-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62086

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #25 of 41 Old 10-23-2011, 02:16 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

i built an aluminum trailer using on of those big racks that the big rigs use to hang their chains on behind the truck. it's about 4x8 feet. the support in the front for the coupler is made out of 2 " aluminum schedule 40 pipe. the axle is 2' square bar welded to old volkswagen spindles. it has leaf springs and the whole suspension is attached to carbon steel angle iron and bolted through the side of the trailer. I had 4 foot tall sides welded on it and a roof but removed
them to pull my Polaris 4 wheeler. Need pictures PM me. This trailer is super light. picked up the base a semi junk yard for 90 bucks.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode