Newbie needs advice....step rails - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Newbie needs advice....step rails

My '12 didn't come with a step rail....so now I'm looking for recommendations on what to get aftermarket. The kids are a little short....hell I'm a little short to climb in without feeling like you need a spotter to help hike your ass up.

°lllll°
Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-20-2011, 10:28 AM
Granite Guru

Do you want it to protect you from rocks for offroading acting like a slider or just a step cutting your ground clearance but easier to get in?

09 Sahara Unlimited
4.88 gears, 6 speed. 4 inch Teraflex with control arms
SB rock rails, stinger, tire carrier, and 10k winch, line x
35 Baja Claws, 17 XD Hoss wheels, backup cam, lights!
list goes on and on......
post #3 of 21 Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I don't forsee me taking it rock climbing anytime soon. In the near future I dont see her getting more action than ditches and dirt. It's my DD ....

°lllll°
Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 10-20-2011, 10:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The plastic Sahara steps have done well for getting mom-in-law and kids in but if you're doing any offroading at all then no.

I'm currently looking at replacement options.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-20-2011, 10:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtygirl View Post
. In the near future I dont see her getting more action than ditches and dirt. It's my DD ....
...if I had a dollar for every jeep owner that has said that and is now trashing on rocks I'd be ordering a hemi lol

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Rock God

Garage

i went with the rugged ridge ones, instal was simple and they're a good step you could say. my stepdad just got a set of the smitty bilt ones for his jku. both are chep ways to go about solving your problem.

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
post #7 of 21 Old 10-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Rock God

I installed the Sahara (Jeep/Mopar) steps initially to cover the pinch seam, a step for the kids and to help keep road grime off the doors. One day while wheelin' on some trails I came down hard on a stump and crushed in the underside of the step. It protected the body and the damage cannot really be seen but I should have installed sliders or something stronger.

just my $.02

welcome!

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #8 of 21 Old 10-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

Ace rock rails look good and carry a lifetime warranty. Easy to install (if you have a grinder)

2011 Jeep Green JKUR

Cincinnati JKOs join our Facebook group
CJKC
Cincy JK Crew - rides only, no BS
post #9 of 21 Old 10-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Rock God

X2 ACE rails are great for stepping. I'm 330lbs and can jump on mine. Also can act as a slider. Great product for the price! (I put painted bolts in the pinch seam to fill the ugly holes.) Looks great.

Big B.

2011 4Dr Unlimited... Rubi springs & shocks, Rubi tires, JKS QD's, CoverKing Seat covers, Rugged Ridge trail doors, A.C.E. stubby bumper, A.C.E. Rock Rails, A.C.E. Hi-lift jack mounts, Superwinch LP8500.

1983 CJ7 LAREDO, AMC 360, 5" lift, 33's
post #10 of 21 Old 10-22-2011, 10:18 AM
JKowners Vendor

X3 on the ACE Sliders! They are great! They hold up well, easy to install, and look great! You can even add a little grip tape to help aid in the use of a step! They also have a liftetime warranty!

http://www.krawloff-road.com/store/i...facturer_id=39

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #11 of 21 Old 10-22-2011, 10:48 AM
Rock God

more importantly - ur nickname on here is dirtygirl - tell us more about that.

but if ur looking for somethign to step on - the sahara steps can be found used for not much$

O||||O
post #12 of 21 Old 10-22-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackSheep View Post
more importantly - ur nickname on here is dirtygirl - tell us more about that.

but if ur looking for somethign to step on - the sahara steps can be found used for not much$

see and here I thought maybe you'd offer to let me step on you

I have earned my nic through many many years of practice.....and you know practice makes perfect!!

°lllll°
Michele
post #13 of 21 Old 10-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtygirl View Post
see and here I thought maybe you'd offer to let me step on you

I have earned my nic through many many years of practice.....and you know practice makes perfect!!
im married so only one woman gets to step on me now. but i still have a special place in my heart for dirty girls. keep the dream alive.

O||||O
post #14 of 21 Old 10-22-2011, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
im married so only one woman gets to step on me now. but i still have a special place in my heart for dirty girls. keep the dream alive.
You and my hubs would get along famously....

°lllll°
Michele
post #15 of 21 Old 10-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:

dirtygirl, do take a look at ACE, like others have mentioned. Reason being is they are not that much more $$$ than pure play steps and they will protect for if you ever change your mind and want to play a little more aggressively with your jeep or you have a "whoops" moment. You're gonna kick yourself if you ever crack steps.

If steps are the way you end up going, take a look in the for sale section and craigslist for Sahara pulloffs. If you can wait until a pair pops up, bound to get a good deal.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #16 of 21 Old 10-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

Here is a pic of an Ace Rock rail. Nice rail, note the use of it over top of OEM Rubi Rails...

2011 Jeep Green JKUR

Cincinnati JKOs join our Facebook group
CJKC
Cincy JK Crew - rides only, no BS
post #17 of 21 Old 10-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Rock God

If you're only doing the easy trails, the Bestop Powerboard is nice. Kind of pricey, but comes out when you open the doors and disappears when they're closed. Definitely geared more towards the mall crawler group, but it's a pretty sweet setup for someone that isn't going to beat the crap out of their rig.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanks...Hubs ordered some Rampage bars last night...so we will see how they go for now...

°lllll°
Michele
post #19 of 21 Old 10-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Rock God

Those are pretty nice as well. It's definitely a different design than most out there, but they certainly work. Their fold down steps are pretty cool too and hold up to playing in some rock.
post #20 of 21 Old 10-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Wheeler

I try to support our vendors, but in the Delta we help our local guy and my hardware gut was my little leage coach. So he got me these and I like them.
RAM26628 - Rampage Slimline 2 Side Bar w/ Recessed Step for 07-Up Jeep Wrangler 4-Dr

2008 X Unlimited
3.25 Rough Country lift
305-70/16 Mickry Thompson MTZ
10,000# Engo winch

Sure I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be. - John Wayne..
post #21 of 21 Old 10-25-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes.greg View Post
I try to support our vendors, but in the Delta we help our local guy and my hardware gut was my little leage coach. So he got me these and I like them.
RAM26628 - Rampage Slimline 2 Side Bar w/ Recessed Step for 07-Up Jeep Wrangler 4-Dr

Thanks those are what the hubs ordered. Not what I expected but we will see how they work.

°lllll°
Michele
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode