Which top to get? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Which top to get?

I'm debating buying a new JK with a hardtop, then buying an aftermarket soft top to save some cash. Would you reccomend this or is the factory soft top the best way to go? I've done a little research and the Trektop/Trektop NX are real inexpensive compared to the factory top and seem to have good reviews. How difficult are they to put down without any bows? Are there other brands to consider besides Bestop? Does Bestop make the factory top for Jeep? The "Sunrider" top from Bestop is not available for the JK except through Mopar from what I have found.

Alternatively I could forgo the hardtop altogether but I really think it would be fun to have both options. I am in Florida but the winters still get pretty cold here, does the hardtop really help hold in the heat much better than the soft top?

For those with both tops, how often do you find yourself swapping them back and forth? Do you wish you only bought one of the tops?

Sorry for so many questions, figured I'd try to squeeze them all into one post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

Both tops hold in the heat about the same. I have no problems in Wyoming winters with just a soft top. Some people insulate the hardtops to make them better which you cannot do with the soft top.

To me the only reason to have the hardtop is better security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

X2 on the better security.

But imo I'd go soft top every time. I just don't ever leave anything of value in my Jeep. Usually don't even lock it. I have the top down every chance I get. It really makes the Jeep fun to drive for me. I had both tops but just never used the hard top so I sold it.

Test, the next nice day, as you drive around you'll see how many soft tops are down compaired to hard tops being off. I feel sorry for someone all buttened up in a hard top on a nice day.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 PM

I have both tops. The moment I got my jeep (6 months ago) I pulled the hard top and just went with the soft. We had no rain all summer so the soft top never went up. We just got a cool blast of air yesterday so I put the hard top on this morning. It feels like a completely different vehicle. So the answer IMHO is if you have the space and the $ , get both. I think that is one of my favorite things about my jeep - every drive is a new experience. By the way, I do have an electric top hoist, so changing it out only takes about 20 minutes.
post #5 of 19 Old 10-19-2011, 09:52 PM
Coonasian

Garage

I only have a hardtop which is usually off. For days when the weather looks iffy, I just drive my truck. I am considering soft tops though for the future. It really is another vehicle with the hard top on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
post #6 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Wheeler

I have a hardtop for the winter and a trektop for the summer..going to be putting my hardtop back on sometime this wknd..like the trektop because can roll back the top past the rear doors..nx version is not able to do that..good luck picking one out
post #7 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Rock God

I use an Offroad Hero soft top late April through early November on rainy days and the hard top through the winter. I figure both will last longer and it is nice having the hard top on in the winter especially since the last two winters we got bitter cold temps, ice and tons of snow. The hard top is stored in my shed and keeps it away from the heat and UV of the summer.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #8 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 AM
Rock God

I think that saying the hardtop has better security is a joke. Frankly the thing seems just as easy to break into or vandalize and it's cost is far greater than the soft top by far.

I might be a little jaded though since my JK has been vandalized twice and each time the soft top had to be replaced. Personally I love this Sunrider NX top from Bestop. I think its the stock one on the new JK's. It is actually really freaking nice.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'd go for the dual top, especially where you live. You'll get one cold night and some snow, go to clean the soft top windows and crack them...

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 07:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I sold my hard top and used the money to buy a lift with no regrets whatsoever. I have a Offroad Heroes soft top and highly recommend it ...buyer be aware, you MAY wait a while to get this top if you go this route. Tim makes top notch tops, but he is a not a stellar businessman.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #11 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I would buy it with a hard top, buy a used (usually brand new) take off soft top off of Craigslist for a few hundred and sell the hard top for a profit.

Sold my hard top for $1250, bought brand new soft top with tinted windows and frame for $300. Bought an XJ with the difference.

post #12 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Did he say the winters in FL get really cold?

I am going to try and pick up a soft top this winter. I wouldn't have a hard top if I lived in FL.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMG006 View Post
Did he say the winters in FL get really cold?
Well it is north Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
For those with both tops, how often do you find yourself swapping them back and forth? Do you wish you only bought one of the tops?

Sorry for so many questions, figured I'd try to squeeze them all into one post.
In fours the soft top has been on twice in four years. Once for a week when we removed the hard to the first time... and again for Jeep Beach this year lol.

Still I'm glad I went with dual tops... it's the wife's dd for now and the hard top works well for her needs. Later when it's primarily mine the soft top will be on/and down a lot.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 12:33 PM
JKowners Vendor

I have/had all of the above. I generally run a hard top on my personal Jeep because I am carrying $1000's in equipment. I usually outfit the fleet with their factory soft tops for most of the year. I am not enthusiastic about the Trektop NX because the top does NOT go all the way down, like the factory soft top. In fact, it doesn't even open as far as the sunrider factory top, either. You have to cut up your factory roll pads to install it. I have not had any quality issues with the 4-door Trektop NX, but we did return both 2-door tops that we had for quality problems. Search craigslist--one can usually find a new factory soft top for $600-700.

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #15 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for all the replies guys. Some good points have been made. This Jeep would be my only vehicle otherwise I would probably just get the soft top and leave it down all the time.

Thanks for the tips about the Trektop...cutting the factory padding is something I would not be too interested in doing on a brand new Jeep.

I just checked Craigslist and there are tops of all kinds all over for varying prices. Looks like no matter which direction I go I should be able to find a cheap top.

I guess I just need to make a decision now.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

I do a lot of highway driving, so I went with a hard top. I figured either a hard top or no top (or a Spiderwebshade).

But, like others have said, before you get a soft top, definitely check out the Offroad Heros tops. They are kick ass (if you have a 4-door.)
post #17 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a 2 door. I checked out the Offroad Heroes site and the homepage shows a 2 door but I don't see anything but 4 door products. Looks like quality stuff though.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-20-2011, 07:29 PM
V8 dreams

i have the older trektop version and you dont have to cut the roll bar fabric for it. i like it alot, though it does pool water. if i wasnt lazy and retarded i would fix that. the only thing i dont like about it is i cant fit my large cooler of beer in the back without taking off the tailgate bar!

helped a buddy install the trektop nx the other day and they have made some nice improvements for sure. with either of these you lose some storage space because of the slantback.

with all that said, my hardtop hangs in my garage 10-11 months of the year and if i'd have found this site soon enough i would have looked into the ORH pretty hard
post #19 of 19 Old 10-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Wheeler

I have a soft top only and have been trying to decide whether to pick up a hard top. A couple have said the Jeep is a completely different vehicle with the hard top...how? What makes you say that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode