Rear axle time - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Rear axle time

Which one prorock,rockjock,terra flex or 14 bolt? I have a prorock in the front already now I'm upgrading the back pros, cons ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 04:54 AM
JKO Addict!

I love my 14 bolt boat anchor but I'm a cheap ass

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #3 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 05:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

You should stick to something that has the same bolt pattern as your pro rock so you don't hve to change wheels and outers up front
Currie or teraflex 60's arent to pricey
A prorock 60 rear is sexy but can get $$

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 05:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
You should stick to something that has the same bolt pattern as your pro rock so you don't hve to change wheels and outers up front
Currie or teraflex 60's arent to pricey
A prorock 60 rear is sexy but can get $$
Very true on the bp

post #5 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 06:05 AM
Rock God

Junkyard FF 60. Can be had for under $400. Build as you wish.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #6 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 06:10 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Its not as fun of a fabrication project but you should consider saving some money and time and going with the Military JK-8 D60 rear.

Our Shop JK runs one. Its been punished by Rob, who used to professionally rock race, and has a heavy right foot. Its held up perfectly to all of the most difficult trails in the west, Lac Cruces, Montrose, Hammers, etc...with 500HP from the 6.4L VVT HEMI. He ran 37's for a long while, but recently went up to 40's for the JK Experience run...at which he ran Carnage and Billings Canyon here in Colorado.

The only obstacle is cutting off the leaf spring perches, and welding on factory bracketry...

You should consider this a viable option. Especially if Rob hasn't been able to kill it.

NEMESIS INDUSTRIES
INDUSTRY'S FIRST ALL ALUMINUM PRODUCT LINE
(303) 974-2460

Follow us on
post #7 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 AM
JKO Addict!

I thought there weren't gearsets available for that axle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis Industries View Post
Its not as fun of a fabrication project but you should consider saving some money and time and going with the Military JK-8 D60 rear.

Our Shop JK runs one. Its been punished by Rob, who used to professionally rock race, and has a heavy left foot. Its held up perfectly to all of the most difficult trails in the west, Lac Cruces, Montrose, Hammers, etc...with 500HP from the 6.4L VVT HEMI. He ran 37's for a long while, but recently went up to 40's for the JK Experience run...at which he ran Carnage and Billings Canyon here in Colorado.

The only obstacle is cutting off the leaf spring perches, and welding on factory bracketry...

You should consider this a viable option. Especially if Rob hasn't been able to kill it.

post #8 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:

Our Shop JK runs one. Its been punished by Rob, who used to professionally rock race, and has a heavy left foot. Its held up perfectly to all of the most difficult trails in the west, Lac Cruces, Montrose, Hammers, etc...with 500HP from the 6.4L VVT HEMI. He ran 37's for a long while, but recently went up to 40's for the JK Experience run...at which he ran Carnage and Billings Canyon here in Colorado.

And where can these be found?? I have a 14 bolt already sitting in my shop but with me the only thing I don't have enough of is time.

post #9 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 07:09 AM
Rock God

Keep in mind that the J8 60 is a c-clip 60.

We offer our Trail Series 60 with the ProRock option and pricing is very competitive. We can also dual drill the axle shafts so the rear can use stock 5 on 5 or 5 or a 5 on 5.5" wheel bolt pattern.
post #10 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 07:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Why would you go with another c clip axle?

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #11 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Granite Guru

Is the stock rear 44 a c-clip axle? Like the ones with the c-clips on the shafts?

2016 JK Rubicon (2 door)

-Semper Fi-
post #12 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 07:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkMud View Post
Is the stock rear 44 a c-clip axle? Like the ones with the c-clips on the shafts?
no, you have retaining plates. the only C clip 44 that i know about are the wierd aluminum ones

post #13 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

I may be biased considering I have one, the Tera CRD 60 has been great. Tons of adjustability, beefy, the shafts are drilled for either 5 on 5 or 5 on 5.5. Prob a lot more but thats what comes to mind at the moment.

I could see ya going pro-rock to match the front if that mattered or not. Either way would be a good chioce.

post #14 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
no, you have retaining plates. the only C clip 44 that i know about are the wierd aluminum ones
That's good to know. I just watched a Xtreme 4x4 show that talked about the differences. I thought the JK 44 was the retaining plate one, but then got confused when I saw someone post about replacing a c-clip with a c-clip...

Thanks.

2016 JK Rubicon (2 door)

-Semper Fi-
post #15 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 08:33 AM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Make the back match the front.

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #16 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 09:01 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
I thought there weren't gearsets available for that axle?
The J8 rear axle is a c-clip Low Pinion Dana 60, so you there are plenty of gear ratios available. We run 5.38s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatTreater View Post
And where can these be found?? I have a 14 bolt already sitting in my shop but with me the only thing I don't have enough of is time.
They are pretty hard to find, we stumbled on a set. A friend installed Dyantrac 60s front and rear on his Jeep, so he sold us the J8 Front Dana 44 and Rear Dana 60 for our Dixie build. He purchased the J8 axles new from Dynatrac I believe. Mopar Accessories also sells them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherride View Post
Why would you go with another c clip axle?
The Dana 60 c-clips are not ideal, but they are still 35 spline. You will have to snap an axle shaft to have an issue. With all the power and abuse we have put to these axles we are yet to have a problem.

When we installed the J8 axles the normal upgrades to the front axle were performed, sleeved (sleeves have to be machined down as the J8 44 has thicker axle tubes) and gusseted. We also added an ARB front locker, 5.38 R&P and 35 spline RCV shafts. The rear J8 required a bit more work, the factory leaf spring brackets were removed and a Teraflex JK bracket kit was welded into place. It also runs an ARB and 5.38 gears.

My favorite part about the J8 axles are the brakes. Fronts are 13.25" with dual piston calipers and the rears are 13.85", single piston caliper and integral parking brake. Basically the J8 axles run Ram 1500 brakes. With 40" tires, and 500 hp larger brakes are a necessity.

J8 axles have a 5x5.5" bolt pattern.

I have been really happy with this set up, but if I had to do it again I would install a Prorock 44 front with the same internals and use a Trail series 60 with the Prorock up grade. In the end I would spend the same amount of money, but the install would not take as much time.

Hope this helps
Paul

NEMESIS INDUSTRIES
INDUSTRY'S FIRST ALL ALUMINUM PRODUCT LINE
(303) 974-2460

Follow us on
post #17 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 09:02 AM
Rock God

Dang nemesis yall must not go anywhere in a hurry with that heavy left foot.

I vote for shaved 14 bolt.

post #18 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Been running a CRD60R for 6months now with no issues. I'm lite on the foot, so I wouldn't expect any.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Have you thought about any 3rd member axles? spider 9s or diamond?

homebuilt JK - blood, sweat, lemonade. renamed LOOSE NUTS
post #20 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Is the dynatrac 60 available in a low pinion rear?
post #21 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOUT37JK View Post
Have you thought about any 3rd member axles? spider 9s or diamond?
I have but those seem to be on the higher end of things $$$

post #22 of 24 Old 10-19-2011, 10:11 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
Is the dynatrac 60 available in a low pinion rear?
Yes, we offer a low pinion 60.
post #23 of 24 Old 10-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Granite Guru

[QUOTE=Dynatrac;We offer our Trail Series 60 with the ProRock option and pricing is very competitive. We can also dual drill the axle shafts so the rear can use stock 5 on 5 or 5 or a 5 on 5.5" wheel bolt pattern.[/QUOTE]

What's the difference between the TS with the PR option and the PR?

2009 Silver Unlimited Rubicon -- Not really stock, anymore.
post #24 of 24 Old 10-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
What's the difference between the TS with the PR option and the PR?
Built equally, nothing. Previously the Trail Series didn't offer the PR as an option. The Trail Series is very limited with few options. This keeps costs down as we don't have to get any add'l engineering involved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode