Thinking of replacing Winch line!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thinking of replacing Winch line!!

What is a great winch line to use on my Warn 9.5 TI? I want to go synthetic to save weight and they are just as strong, I know I'll need a new fairbead as well.

I've read good things about vikings just want to know what you guys have used

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maker of Black box, In-cab winch control and other electronics
Want to make wiring easy and painless?
Order your "Black Box" today!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 07:46 PM
JKO Addict!

i've had good luck with viking lines

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #3 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
i've had good luck with viking lines
I main concern is winching over rock or something of that nature, because there are times when the winch line is is laying on/rubbing against something while winching. Its not always a complete straight shot to the anchor point. What I mean is that sometimes the winch lines doesnt have a clean/clear shot from the jeep to the anchor point. Hope this makes sense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 08:09 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

You can break cable or rope rubbing it on rocks.

Go Viking, it'll come with a rash guard that can be slid out to protect the line during a pull like you're speaking of.

Marcus

post #5 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
You can break cable or rope rubbing it on rocks.

Go Viking, it'll come with a rash guard that can be slid out to protect the line during a pull like you're speaking of.

Marcus
Marcus, This? I know it comes with 8 foot of rash guard at the hook/thimble end. Now I don't know which end to get (look at the viking) Pros/cons to having one tube thimble vs safety thimble

post #6 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

That 8' rock guard will slide down the line when you pull cable to your winch point. You put it over the rock and the line slides through it.

The thimble vs hook and loop is personal preference. The safety thimble won't suck through a fairlead where the hook has the potential to. You should never hold the hook when spooling line anyway so it's a toss up.

I like a hook myself, personal preference.

Marcus

post #7 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
I main concern is winching over rock or something of that nature, because there are times when the winch line is is laying on/rubbing against something while winching. Its not always a complete straight shot to the anchor point. What I mean is that sometimes the winch lines doesnt have a clean/clear shot from the jeep to the anchor point. Hope this makes sense.
Um... ok. pretty much all synth line is going to have the same resistance to rocks. Or were you asking about steel vs synth? Any more my butt puckers on really hard pulls on steel cable. I know it shouldn't. And i used steel cable for 10 years without any issues. But i've become wary in my old age lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
That 8' rock guard will slide down the line when you pull cable to your winch point. You put it over the rock and the line slides through it.

The thimble vs hook and loop is personal preference. The safety thimble won't suck through a fairlead where the hook has the potential to. You should never hold the hook when spooling line anyway so it's a toss up.

I like a hook myself, personal preference.

Marcus
i just roll straight up D ring gangsta it's usually sucked in till the d ring is against the fairlead though

post #8 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 08:36 PM
JKO Addict!

oh i also REALLY recommend getting a good cover for your winch. My line has REALLY faded from being out in the sun. It's not specific to viking. i've seen amsteel ones do it too.

i prefer neoprene but that's just me

post #9 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I am a fan of this rope (even though I haven't had a chance to use it yet). Its highley recomended by many. Can't say its in any way better than Viking but on the Master Pull site they describe how its made in it impressed me a lot.

Marcus got me an outstanding price on it: http://www.rivercityoffroad.com/

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #10 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 09:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
......i just roll straight up D ring gangsta it's usually sucked in till the d ring is against the fairlead though
X2

Quote:
oh i also REALLY recommend getting a good cover for your winch. My line has REALLY faded from being out in the sun. It's not specific to viking. i've seen amsteel ones do it too.

i prefer neoprene but that's just me
X2

The roller fairlead weighs a lot so not only does the hause look better but saves more lbs.

I ran with the rope hooked to a shackel point on the bumper till I noticed weathering from just being exposed to the elements. I too now reel the rope all the way in and have a cover.

Once you get the rope in your hands and use it you'll never go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #11 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Call Todd at Custom Splice. He is a supporting vendor here and the Amsteel line he sells is top notch. I shaved 30 pounds when I switched to synthetic. Make sure you tell him you're on JKOwners and/or Pirate 4x4. http://www.customsplice.com/

edit: I just went to their website. I didn't see thimble's on there but I know they have them. They also have different color line, so you don't have to get blue. I think they have red and grey.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣

Last edited by HOOLIGAN; 10-18-2011 at 09:12 PM.
post #12 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 09:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
X2

X2

The roller fairlead weighs a lot so not only does the hause look better but saves more lbs.

I ran with the rope hooked to a shackel point on the bumper till I noticed weathering from just being exposed to the elements. I too now reel the rope all the way in and have a cover.

Once you get the rope in your hands and use it you'll never go back.
I know the Amsteel line is UV resistant and from what I understand the fading only affects the color, not the strength of the rope.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #13 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 09:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

^^^^^ It is not just the UV. There was actual fraying from the road grime and wind. Plus I got the color because i want the color. All is well after I made the change of how I keep the rope and a cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtual_mage View Post
.....a dark forum, were people would sometimes be rude but yet be helpful.
JK 2dr rubi

post #14 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 09:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Masterpull is the best, but expensive.

Viking line is not only good, but the customer service is AWESOME. Every time I order from them, there is a package at my door in two days. Highly recommended.

Order 100ft of 3/8" line and wind it on tight. Fits great on the winch you have.
post #15 of 27 Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Rock God

http://www.jeepswag.com/winchline/

Technora - it's the stuff that other winchline companies use as the first spool layer.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #16 of 27 Old 10-19-2011, 05:51 AM
Rock God

How do you know what size and length of line to get for a particular winch?

2012 SLV JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #17 of 27 Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbeato View Post
Most run 100'

post #18 of 27 Old 10-19-2011, 06:36 AM
V8 dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbeato View Post
The vendor will likely know how much of what size will fit on your winch. [email protected] was very helpful when I bought my winch and Viking line

Vandy

2010 Silver JKU
post #19 of 27 Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Granite Guru

MasterPull's XD is fantastic stuff! it has a protective covering to keep out the grime and protect from UV exposure. I have 100' of the regular 5/16" Superline and am more than impressed with it. Emil and the guys at MasterPull are an awesome group of dudes.

Go Play Outside.
post #20 of 27 Old 10-19-2011, 09:32 AM
JKO Addict!

I prefer the safety thimble.
post #21 of 27 Old 10-19-2011, 09:43 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
Marcus, This? I know it comes with 8 foot of rash guard at the hook/thimble end. Now I don't know which end to get (look at the viking) Pros/cons to having one tube thimble vs safety thimble

That's the removable rock guard that they have. It's a separate option (cheap too at only $20) that you can order by itself to add to whatever line you have. The regular rock guard that they put on their winch line is not removable, but you can still slide it up and down the line, it just doesn't come off. The one that comes with the line is very heavy duty and better quality than I've seen on other winchlines.

Master-Pull and Viking are both great lines regardless which route that anyone goes.
post #22 of 27 Old 10-19-2011, 09:44 AM
Rock God

I run a Viking with safety thimble.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #23 of 27 Old 10-20-2011, 02:12 PM
JPK
Rock God

I run a 100' Viking 3/8" line and prefer the safety hook.

I ran the 100' Viking 3/8" with the safety hook on a Powerplant on my LJ for five years with no fading or fraying issues. The hook was hooked to a recovery point mounted D ring, no issues. I would be concerned that pulling a steel D ring into an aluminum hawse fairlead would nick it, which will then cause fraying.

5/16" is strong enough when new, but the larger diameter can take more fraying and deterioration over time while still retaining sufficient strength.

BTW, if you need one, the 100' extension is great. Doesn't take up much room, is soft and coils well, loops at both ends make attaching it easy.

JPK
post #24 of 27 Old 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

9.5ti / 9.5si

M-P 5/16" X 125'

M-P 3/8" X 100'

this is from master pulls website. I run the amsteel blue line on my 9.5 TI. ive been happy with it. got it from www.amsteelblue.com

Amsteel™ Blue 5/16" X 125' winch line w/ Crush proof thimble and H-D sling hook

Price: $231.16

Last edited by Stigo; 10-20-2011 at 02:21 PM.
post #25 of 27 Old 10-20-2011, 02:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I used Viking on all my Toyotas on a Warn 9.5ti with great results. That's what I'll be running when I put a winch on the Jeep.

Will: 2010 2-Door Rubicon: Check my garage for details

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode