17" Pintler Wheels - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
17" Pintler Wheels

I like the looks of the new AEV pintler wheel in black. Actually I have always liked the looks of AEV wheels.
Question is the sizing.
I know on the AEV website it talks all about how they will work with up to a 37" tire but I am curious to hear from people who have them with 35's or 37's do you have any issue with the tire rubbing on the sway bar or anywhere else at full turn? Really asking because the 35 or 37 come in a 12.5 or 13.5 wide versus buying something else that is more narrow.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I like the looks of the new AEV pintler wheel in black. Actually I have always liked the looks of AEV wheels.
Question is the sizing.
I know on the AEV website it talks all about how they will work with up to a 37" tire but I am curious to hear from people who have them with 35's or 37's do you have any issue with the tire rubbing on the sway bar or anywhere else at full turn? Really asking because the 35 or 37 come in a 12.5 or 13.5 wide versus buying something else that is more narrow.
Thanks!
I am running the Pintler and I had to install wheel spacers due to the tires rubbing the lower control arm in a tight turn even at the mall!!!
post #3 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redjk07 View Post
I am running the Pintler and I had to install wheel spacers due to the tires rubbing the lower control arm in a tight turn even at the mall!!!
Stock arms or aftermarket? What size tires?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Rock God

Yep, rubbed the frame rails on full lock.

V8 YJ/TJ hybrid on tons
post #5 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 10:55 AM
Rock God

37 MTR Kevlars on Argent Pintlers.

V8 YJ/TJ hybrid on tons
post #6 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 03:14 PM
JKowners Vendor

I asked AEV about the new black wheels and my rubbing with 37's. What they said was (paraphrased) "It would vary with control arms and tire width. It depends on whether or not you are willing to accept a slight rub at full lock in order to have proper tracking, reduced concern with death wobble and extended bearing life. The Pintlerís offset gets the scrub radius damn close to stock and it also keeps a 12.50-wide tire nearly all covered by the fender flare, i.e. street legal."

That said, my 35x12.50's touched, but not enough to worry about. My 37x12.50's (KM2's, so they are a small 37) are rubbing control arms more significantly--enough that I want to either add some wheel spacers, or (last resort) sacrifice some turning radius by putting some washers in my steering stops.

Nena Barlow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #7 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

They used to offer that wheel with a bigger backspacing. My set is 3 years old and no issues running 37"s with large Rock Krawler control arms. They are now much closer to the hub (less back spacing).

Jason Demoto, a supporting vendor on here has seen lots of JKs with the new ones so he would be a good resource to talk to.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #8 of 15 Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 PM
Rock God

17" black savagres here. I added a couple of washers to the steering stops, but I'm not sure I had to. All the kids were doing it.

Mike 2010 Rubicon 2DR | RK 3.5 X FACTOR MID ARM | ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
post #9 of 15 Old 10-19-2011, 12:25 AM
JKO Addict!

There's that awesome engineering again... Rubbing at full lock does not seem like a worthy trade-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #10 of 15 Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 AM
JKO Addict!

I've been running AEV beadlocks with 37s for 4 years and they rubbed before I put spacers on. Running a Synergy lift and there was not even enough room to get my pinky finger between the tire and rear upper control arms.

Probably wouldn't have bought them had I known that but having said that they have been problem free.

BTW the tires at the time were the old style MT/Rs.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #11 of 15 Old 10-19-2011, 09:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
They used to offer that wheel with a bigger backspacing.
Funnily enough they sent me one of those years ago to replace a defective wheel. I had to ship it back and get the normal one since my other wheels were standard. It looked like a real PITA to get the lung nuts in and there was no way you could have started them by hand which is probably why they don't make them anymore.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #12 of 15 Old 10-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Granite Guru

The only thing I'd caution against, and this would be the case with any aluminum wheel, is that they're not too good in the rocks. This obstacle:

caused this damage:

I love the AEV wheels, but they're being replaced with black steelies.

1997 TJ with LOTS of stuff.
2011 2DR Rubicon with stuff.
2012 JK8 with some stuff.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-19-2011, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

That is crazy! I have had a lot of aluminum wheel rock damage but nothing that just cracked off like that...
post #14 of 15 Old 10-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
Question

I think any Cast aluminum wheel can crack like that in rocks with enough force. I run the Pintler (tj) version and scraped them up good but no cracks what so ever. We typical install BFG tires 35"x12.50 and have had no rubbing issues with our customers. I am sure with the bigger MTRK's there could be issues with rubbing with any 4.70 BD wheel. If its a big issue go with an ATX wheel most are 4.50 BS in their 17" sizes.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #15 of 15 Old 10-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

its so funny that aev finally came out with these in black, because i've always contimplated buying the grey ones and just having them powder coated. i wonder how long until they offer the black in beadlocks. still a great looking wheel, but noted above, not sure i would purchase them if you're still going to have to run spacers so your aftermarket wheels don't rub.

2011 MANGO TANGO sahara jku....bone stock.
r.i.p.08 jk x steel blue

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode