differential overheating ? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

differential overheating ?

Hey just intalled yukon4.88 gears and i have no noise perfect gear mesh,backlash and pinion turning torque is 16 inch lbs and im running 75/140 syn. Oil. Im still under 500 miles doing the 20 mile then stop and let cool but the rear diff seems to be getting to hot and i let it cool to cold then went aprox6 miles and the area where the pinion bearing is seems to be where the heat is coming from. What is an acceptable temperature for the diff and/or will this go away after the breakin period? Thanks

Can't say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 04:51 AM
Rock God

I had this same problem after my gear install. I added 2 quarts of fluid and still wasn't coming out of the fill hole. It did cool my diff down considerably.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by levellinebrad View Post
I had this same problem after my gear install. I added 2 quarts of fluid and still wasn't coming out of the fill hole. It did cool my diff down considerably.
I have aprox 2.5 quarts of 75/140 syn. Oil in it . Or are you saying after the breakin it cooled down?

Can't say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 05:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Is your pinion rotated up? You need to add one pint ( I think ) when you do the fluid lays at the at the cover and may not be lubeing the pinion bearing. I'm running a Polly 5.5 in lift and m filled past the fill hole. Added fluid in the breather hole

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official sponsor of the Jersey
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #5 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Is your pinion rotated up? You need to add one pint ( I think ) when you do the fluid lays at the at the cover and may not be lubeing the pinion bearing. I'm running a Polly 5.5 in lift and m filled past the fill hole. Added fluid in the breather hole
Ill try that. Thanks

Can't say
post #6 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 06:14 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfpd1724 View Post
Ill try that. Thanks
Sounds like the prob, there's a thread on it. Not positive how much extra to add.

Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #7 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well put more fluid in and she is still geting hot so i duno i guess i will pull it apart and see what i can find.

Can't say
post #8 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Rock God

Its going to get very warm. That's normal. But if you can't touch it because it so hot then you have a problem.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Rock God

The purpose of the run/let it cool routine is because of the excessive heat generated during break-in.
If the setup is as good as you say, continue your break-in routine, then change the oil and see what happens.

Last edited by ronjenx; 10-18-2011 at 10:34 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Probably 100s of threads on this at Pirate, but short version: run dino in the diffs instead of synthetic. Had the same issue and Currie told me to drain that Synthetic out ASAP and replace with Dino; amazingly, that solved the problem. Many aftermarket axle companies void the warranty with synthetic. Has something to do with drawing heat away from the gears, especially in high-pinion designs. Oh, and Currie isn't the only manufacture that recommends dino over synthetic in axles.

Quote I found:

Currie had multiple failures with synthetics. What they finally found, after building a special housing where they could measure the temp at the gears themselves in operation, was that while the synthetic lube was running cooler, the gears themselves were running substantially hotter. It was discovered that the synthetic was not as good of a "heat sink" as mineral based lubes were and was thus not extracting heat out of the gears as well. That is why the pumpkins running synthetic do indeed show cooler temps because the synthetic isn't extracting as much heat out of the gears so naturally it would be cooler... they were totally shocked and surprised when they observed that the synthetic was simply not extracting the heat out of the gears as efficiently as mineral based gear lubes could do.

So it's true the pumpkin and synthetic gear lube itself does measure cooler... the shocking discovery made by Currie's engineers was that the gears themselves are not being cooled as well by synthetic gear lubes.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Called the manufacturer they said to run it but i am gonna dump the syn fluid thoe asap thanks all for the input

Can't say
post #12 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Probably 100s of threads on this at Pirate, but short version: run dino in the diffs instead of synthetic. Had the same issue and Currie told me to drain that Synthetic out ASAP and replace with Dino; amazingly, that solved the problem. Many aftermarket axle companies void the warranty with synthetic. Has something to do with drawing heat away from the gears, especially in high-pinion designs. Oh, and Currie isn't the only manufacture that recommends dino over synthetic in axles.

Quote I found:

Currie had multiple failures with synthetics. What they finally found, after building a special housing where they could measure the temp at the gears themselves in operation, was that while the synthetic lube was running cooler, the gears themselves were running substantially hotter. It was discovered that the synthetic was not as good of a "heat sink" as mineral based lubes were and was thus not extracting heat out of the gears as well. That is why the pumpkins running synthetic do indeed show cooler temps because the synthetic isn't extracting as much heat out of the gears so naturally it would be cooler... they were totally shocked and surprised when they observed that the synthetic was simply not extracting the heat out of the gears as efficiently as mineral based gear lubes could do.

So it's true the pumpkin and synthetic gear lube itself does measure cooler... the shocking discovery made by Currie's engineers was that the gears themselves are not being cooled as well by synthetic gear lubes.
^ some good info that I didn't know. Thanks.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #13 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 02:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Regardless of all the engineering mumbo-jumbo, I was an idiot for wasting my $ on synthetic dif fluid anyway. Dino is less than half the price, and I can't take advantage of the longevity of synthetic anyway; I have to change my dif oil every year due to all the water crossings I do on Rubicon, Fordyce, Kern River, etc. So it was a complete waste of money for me anyway.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 03:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Great info. I did my gears Yesterday and when i got home after the first 30 miles my dif was too hot to touch.
Drove it back too the shop today and you could keep your hand on it comfortably. hot but not enough to have to move your hand.
I went with the royal purple but i guess i too am gonna switch out to dino at 500 miles.

You smell that?
post #15 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 06:12 PM
Rock God

Put in dino. Fuck synthetic. Doesn't pay.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #16 of 16 Old 10-20-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Update- after aprox 400+ miles now the diff has cooled down a lot and everything is A+ thanks for the input from everyone

Can't say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode