OR-Fab - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-17-2011, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

OR-Fab

Anyone running a 37 or bigger on the orfab gerry-can swing away carrier? 4wd.com lists it as carrying a max of a 35.

Thanks all

3.5" Rock Krawler Mid-Arm Flex, Bilstein 5100s, Smittybuilt XRC Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier, AEV ProCal, 37" Nitto TrailGrappler MTs, MB 72s, 5.38s, C Gussets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-17-2011, 06:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Owners manual rates at 200lb load. My 35" clears the stock bumper easily.

But know this, it's kinda a pain in the ass to install. Have a friend handy to help with building the hinges. Did mine by myself on sat. Took about 5hrs solid.

Sent from my mind using telekynesis!

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 PM
Wheeler

I spoke with the owner prior to ordering mine because I wanted to be sure I could run a 37 on it. He has had a 37 on his for almost three years and still works great. I saw it in person yesterday and it does actually still work fine with no issues seen. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-17-2011, 10:17 PM
VKS Fab

Shit, I've seen 40's on them

Handmade One At A Time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #5 of 16 Old 10-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoachJeep View Post
Anyone running a 37 or bigger on the orfab gerry-can swing away carrier? 4wd.com lists it as carrying a max of a 35.

Thanks all
Had mine on there for years with a 35 and then/now a 37. I also have Huthinson Beadlocks which weigh a TON!!!!

They are good for the extra weight just make sure you snug the tire down so it cant bouce. The tire should actually compress against the bars. Can send a pic of what I am talking about if it does not make sense.

Courtesy of Hit - "You should only fuck the fuckable.. to fuck the unfuckable or to un-fuck the fuckable is like crossing streams in Ghost Busters"
post #6 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 05:33 AM
Granite Guru

Geezer is running 37" KM2's with the new type 3 gal cans and Tinker
Ruby is running 40" Procomp's with no cans no problem with either....

Lifted Locked Armored on 37's
I live I ride I go Over Shit
Geezer's Tank
and now TinkerRubi on 40's
post #7 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 10:05 AM
GKR
Granite Guru

I've been running both 38's and 40's mounted on beadlocks with no problems.
post #8 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #9 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 12:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-jeep View Post
Not much to see, but enjoy...

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #10 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Rock God

FWIW I had to modify my carrier by welding the mounting plate onto my corner armor. I actually broke off two of the bolts that are mounting the tire carrier to the hinges. IDK if it was a result of the the weight of the tire or just the way it was installed. Either way I took out the whole mounting system all together and now my tire carrier is rock solid!

post #11 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCCotton View Post
FWIW I had to modify my carrier by welding the mounting plate onto my corner armor. I actually broke off two of the bolts that are mounting the tire carrier to the hinges. IDK if it was a result of the the weight of the tire or just the way it was installed. Either way I took out the whole mounting system all together and now my tire carrier is rock solid!
Can you show pics of your setup? I have the AEV corners and was wondering how that might work with the carrier. I'm guessing some creative torchwork was involved?
post #12 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
Can you show pics of your setup? I have the AEV corners and was wondering how that might work with the carrier. I'm guessing some creative torchwork was involved?
It was really easy. You just weld the bracket that holds the carrier to your armor. Not really complicated. I will take a pic and put it up here.

post #13 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Rock God

As you can see very easy mod. Run a bead down the side (sorry for the dusty photos, I just got done running down a dirt road the other day). Then install the bolts back into the hinges without having to put the nuts on the back of them (which to me was the biggest PITA ever!).

post #14 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Breaker of nice things

Garage

Excellent. Thanks.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 03:21 PM
JKowners Vendor

OR-Fab bumpers are rated for up to 40" tires. I have 37's on there--no problem!
Attached Images

Nena Barlow

-- downloadable maps & trailbooks

post #16 of 16 Old 10-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Granite Guru

i had 40's on mine and then i swapped to 37's and never had any issues. you do have to adjust it especially if you go off road alot but over all i am happy with mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode