Need a great trail GPS - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 10-16-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Need a great trail GPS

I read on here a while ago about GPS that shows trails it may have been a garmin. it was the kind that go ones the windshield I believe. It could also be used for the trail and for the road. Any help would be great!

Thanks
Dustin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maker of Black box, In-cab winch control and other electronics
Want to make wiring easy and painless?
Order your "Black Box" today!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 10-16-2011, 09:46 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Here's what i've learned so far trying to do the same. The best bet in all honesty is to get an eTrex, GPSMap or one of the newer versions of that style of hiking GPS. Why? The Nuvi's are not capable of creating waypoint tracks like the hiking units can. I researched this after buying a new Nuvi and was bummed out, ended up selling it last week. You will have to buy Garmin TOPO 24K mapsets for your area on top of that hardware. You can import free maps too, but that all sounds like a huge PITA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 AM
Research, bro!

Garage

I have the Garmin GPSMAP 62s with backpacking as it's primary purpose and offroading as its secondary purpose (have the car mounting kit). IMO, for the purposes of offroading useful features out of the box are: you can set/name waypoints, create routes, display and save your tracks (a bit like breadcrumbs) and use a "trackback" function. I also have Garmin's City Navigator software. The software shows streets, POI, etc. Most importantly to this thread is it lists most trails - since most trails are actually some form of offical "road", with an official route number or name. I do not have their TOPO US 24K software installed on it, so I can't attest to any offroad trail markings on that.

It did take me a bit of practice to understand all the features of the GPSMAP, but now that I have, I'm really happy with it. As far as Garmin handhelds are, I think if you are purchasing for offroading only (no hiking, hunting, etc), the Oregon, Montana or eTrek models might be better suited for this however. Primarily because of screen size and price.

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde

A proud part of the Cutts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 01:22 AM
Rock God

Garage
GARMIN is best

I have used various GPS's and I stick with Garmin.

Depending on how much you want to spend you can get the TOPO maps for most of the GPS models.

I like the 640 for the marine & auto capabilities plus it's waterproof. The topo maps range from $50 + from the Garmin website. The whole package will set you back about $700 ... Awesome capabilities with these units though. Small enough to pack around by hand also.

The handhelds are good to though if you don't mind the small screen.

Go to the following link to see the Garmin topo maps available

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...N_NORTHAMERICA

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...
post #5 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 02:55 AM
Rock God

I love my Garmin Jeep Trail Guide GPS plus it is removable with a 10 hour battery when removed. And the topo software is great off road.
Not in use:

In use:

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #6 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Granite Guru

GPSkit for iPhone....9.99 in the app store.

why bother with more devices?
post #7 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

I was with a guy this weekend that had a cheapo Garmin that had tracking on it. Not sure if it was hacked or not. Either way I am interested in a GPS also

2011 Jeep Green JKUR

Cincinnati JKOs join our Facebook group
CJKC
Cincy JK Crew - rides only, no BS
post #8 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Is there a "City" one that I could upload the TOPO maps in to and just be done with it? I don't want to use a hiking GPS or anything like that because of the screen being small as I will use this for trips as well.

post #9 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Rock God

Garage
i LIKE THAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsig View Post
I love my Garmin Jeep Trail Guide GPS plus it is removable with a 10 hour battery when removed. And the topo software is great off road.
Not in use:

In use:

Were did you get the cover & GPS?

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...
post #10 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 09:38 AM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
Is there a "City" one that I could upload the TOPO maps in to and just be done with it? I don't want to use a hiking GPS or anything like that because of the screen being small as I will use this for trips as well.
You can load Topo24K to any of the Nuvi units. You just wont have Tracks which sucks. The GPSMap and Etrex/Dakota units are the units that support tracks. Tracks are useful if you're exploring new trails to record the trail rather than having to stop and hit the waypoint button manually over and over again on a new trail to try to keep track of where you were and share with other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #11 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Rock God

Garage

Take a look at the Garmin Oregon series. That is what I have and it works well.

2008 Rubicon Unlimited | Rescue Green | OME Long Travel HD Lift | Raceline Monster Beadlocks | 39.5 Irok Bias Tires| 5.13 Gears | PSC BFH Front Bumper | PSC Flares | PCS Crusher Corners |PSC Rock Brawler Rear w/tire carrier | Warn 9.5ti | ARB High Flow On Board Air | sPOD |Rock Hard Sport Cage | Poly High Steer Kit | Poly Front Track Bar Brace | Alloy Chromoly Rear Axle Shafts
post #12 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 09:45 AM
Rock God

I've been using my Garmin GPSMap76, handheld, portable, AA batteries, elevation and able to program way points and leave breadcrumb trails. I've had it since 2004, has all the maps pre loaded and only shows major highway routes. I use a Garmin Nuvi for on-road navigating.

Tom

2010 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
ORH soft top, Procomp 7069's,Poly Performance leveling spacers
Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, PSC Evap Skid, CB, Hi-Lift

post #13 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 01:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12xu View Post

No. There is sooooooo much more a real gps can do than any phone app. Not to mention the software for your computer that goes along with a real gps. Garmin has numerous good gps units for trail use and adding additional software is very easy.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #14 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

It's hard to find a "do it all" GPS. I've looked and looked and have yet to find one with the features I actually want in one package. IMO Lowrance makes some of the better vehicle mounted off road GPS's and have tons of features for it however the drawback is they take a lot to learn to use, they're large and bulky and have to be permanently mounted in the jeep which sucks if you DD cause you have this huge screen up on your dash. Plus its on road capabilities aren't all that great. Thus i wouldnt really recommend it for a Jeep. The Garmin hand held's are in my opinion the most versatile, but they're expensive. The 62s/st models have the best antenna which is awesome and pack a ton of features. But the lack of a (qwerty) keyboard makes using it in a vehicle while you're enroute a real PITA. They have the touch screen ones like the Montana but its even more expensive but you get the touch screen and a few more features you may or may not want/need plus the antenna is not as good as the 62 series. All that being said, what I think the best option is at this point is get the 62st (it comes with 100k topo preloaded so you can use it out of the box), get the 24k topo for your area. And then just get a cheaper on road touch screen GPS to cover your on road needs. They can get you to and from the trail and I've been surprised how many dirt roads/trails/forrest service and access roads they actually do mark and the Garmin 62 will cover most of the other bases. Or try the Montana. Don't know as much about it...if you try it let me know how it does I'm curious if it's worth the hefty price tag.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #15 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 PM
TJT
Rock God

I bought a Delorme PN-60 about two years ago and I have yet to use it. Looks like a huge learning curve that I just havent sat down and tried to learn. Plus the mapping software only works on PC and since I have Mac's at the house, Ive had to use the windows operating system. Switching back and forth is another pain in the ass.

When I get around to it, I'm sure it will be great.

I have been using the trail feature on my MyGig RER, but all I've really concluded is that its basically useless for the off-the-map offroad stuff.
post #16 of 26 Old 10-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...ghlight=garmin

I have one up for sale, awesome for trails. Ok on the street. I can work with you on price if interested.

2007 with some stuff on it
post #17 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 03:50 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezfriday View Post
Were did you get the cover & GPS?
My Jeep dealer.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #18 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
You can load Topo24K to any of the Nuvi units. You just wont have Tracks which sucks. The GPSMap and Etrex/Dakota units are the units that support tracks. Tracks are useful if you're exploring new trails to record the trail rather than having to stop and hit the waypoint button manually over and over again on a new trail to try to keep track of where you were and share with other people.
Garmin nuvi 500 has topo and tracking right? And add the fact that its water proof?

2011 Jeep Green JKUR

Cincinnati JKOs join our Facebook group
CJKC
Cincy JK Crew - rides only, no BS
post #19 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Riptyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
I have the Garmin GPSMAP 62s with backpacking as it's primary purpose and offroading as its secondary purpose (have the car mounting kit). IMO, for the purposes of offroading useful features out of the box are: you can set/name waypoints, create routes, display and save your tracks (a bit like breadcrumbs) and use a "trackback" function. I also have Garmin's City Navigator software. The software shows streets, POI, etc. Most importantly to this thread is it lists most trails - since most trails are actually some form of offical "road", with an official route number or name. I do not have their TOPO US 24K software installed on it, so I can't attest to any offroad trail markings on that.

It did take me a bit of practice to understand all the features of the GPSMAP, but now that I have, I'm really happy with it. As far as Garmin handhelds are, I think if you are purchasing for offroading only (no hiking, hunting, etc), the Oregon, Montana or eTrek models might be better suited for this however. Primarily because of screen size and price.

I have the same GPS and many other "hiking" style garmins. Everything said in the above post is 100% correct. I also have the 24K toposinstalled along with the city navigator chip. Wont leave home or the road without it. and more flexible than the "Nuvi/Tomtom" styles

Riptyd

“Adventure is worthwhile.”........Aristotle

Yellow 4dr.,
Wildboar Safari Rack
Midland 75-822 CB Radio(Ch4or16)
Smittybilt SRC front Bumper, Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier
Smittybilt SRC Side Armor
KC Daylighters
JKS ACOS adjustable coil spacers
Procomp shocks
SpyderTrax Wheel Spacers
BFGoodrich Radial AT 285/70/17
More mods on the way.

JEEPERS should always be on CB Cannel 4 or 16

post #20 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Mechanic

i am looking for a handheld one as well, been looking at a couple different garmin units, but i honestly dont know what to look for. I need something that i can stick in the jeep with a suction cup mount and then take it out and throw it on my mountain bike.

Jon R.
Owner, Bullpen Garage
18 E Ventura St
Tucson, AZ 85705
520-396-3001
post #21 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

how would the Oregon, Montana or eTrek models be better suited than the 62s? I'm totally new to these and honestly don't know what features I would need or don't need. It be great if they are already programed or I could buy the program but I doubt that could happen.

I assume breadcrums is the function that the GPS actually follows your path and will store it as a trail/road/etc.

post #22 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 09:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
how would the Oregon, Montana or eTrek models be better suited than the 62s? I'm totally new to these and honestly don't know what features I would need or don't need. It be great if they are already programed or I could buy the program but I doubt that could happen.

I assume breadcrums is the function that the GPS actually follows your path and will store it as a trail/road/etc.
Well from my experience the features I would want to have in a GPS all in one unit would be:
-track back (records a track like the bread crumbs and allows you to retrace it) probably one of the more important ones
-the ability to set a poi (point of interest) and navigate to it which is where it's nice to have both road and topo maps as sometimes you can't just follow terrain directly in a Jeep and that's where it's hard to find one that will do it in the same map/menu. This is where you either have two different software sets or two GPS's to cover this.
-next is topo maps and satellite view. 24k topo shows more detailed maps of elevation change and is usually region specific because it takes more data. Thus you have to buy each region you want and it's probably easiest to have each on an SD card so you can carry it. I would recommend getting a GPS preinsatalled with the 100K topo for the US as it shows the entire US and while it isn't as detaile it's a general 'map' that still covers a lot then just buy the 24k topo for the area you're in a lot. The sat imagery (and the topo to some extent) give you the ability to navigate and determine your location visually via land marks and terrain changes.
-for driving, it's more difficult to use units that aren't touch screen such as the 62 and etrex because it takes a while to scroll through and type letters (especially with the road maps if your typing in a location to search or whatever) touch screen just makes this easier.
-another important factor is the antenna. The 62 probably has the best antenna for hand held units out there and this matters if youre ever in heavily wooded areas, canyons, river bottoms or where there's a lot of overhead cover and a signal is difficult to get and maintain.
-battery life is another major consideration. If you have it on all day you want it to be able to last a while without having to change or carry 10 sets of batteries especially on extended trips. Touch screen units generally have a lesser battery life due to the screen size and design however some are getting pretty good.
-lastly is just whatever other bells and whistles the unit comes with (magnetic compass, barometer, camera, geocashing stuff, etc etc.)

It's hard to find units that will do it all. My biggest want is a unit that can do both navigation like the on road where you type in a location/road/city/poi etc and it will show a route, combined with topo maps which also records a track and does back tracks and a good user interface all in one menu and in one unit. I've yet to find exactly what I want. All that being said. IMO the 62st is probably the unit that has the most of what I want (I'd like to look at the Montana more as I don't know much about I and it's supposed to be one of their best units yet) but the 62st has 100k topo preinstalled, has the good antenna, pretty good user interface (minus the ease of the touch screen) you can add the 24k topo for your area and the road software and you have a very capable unit. Sorry for rambling on and on but there is so much to consider when buying GPS's that it's overwhelming and what I've said is by no means the end all be all perfect solution, just what I've seen from my experience. That's also why in an earlier post I recommended 2 units...while it is a bit of a pain to switch back and fourth, a road GPS will be touch screen and actually should show more dirt roads than you might think. They can be had pretty cheap and can mount on the dash so you can glance down and get a general idea of where youre at when you're driving. Then if you have a unit like the 62st you have the topo and backtrack to navigate when you slow down or stop and need to make a decision on direction or determine exact location or whatever else. Again that's just my opinion and since I have yet to find exactly what I want all in one unit, I've found that's what's worked pretty well. Hope this helps and sorry again for the really long post

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #23 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 09:50 PM
Rock God

Garage

I should also mention that after trying several brands I think the Garmins have the best and simplest user interface and their software seems to run quicker/smoother than most other brands.

07 X 2dr- 6spd

post #24 of 26 Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:

Oregon and Montana are much easier to use, especially for someone new. The touchscreen interface makes it simple.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #25 of 26 Old 10-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12xu View Post

I assume they have one for iPad. Bigger screen

Does this have easy to use topographic maps for download that are editable so you can post routes for fellow JKO members?

DRIVEN1
2009 Rubicon Unlimited
Teraflex 3" Suspension System with Flex Arms
Teraflex RockGuard Epic Front Bumper
Teraflex RockGuard Outback Rear Bumper
Teraflex RockGuard Spare Tire Carrier
LoD Signature Series Rock Sliders
XD Series Addict 17" Rims
35" BFG KM2 Mud Terrain Tires
J.E. Reel Front and Rear Drive Shafts
Poison Spyder "Special Edition" Bombshell Diff Covers & Evap Can Skid
3M Clear Bra and 80% Window Tint
JEEP PICS:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode