Spacer or new wheels - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-15-2011, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Spacer or new wheels

Okay, up on the fence and I ve been reading both sides of the argument. Should I go spacer or new wheels. Spacers are minimum half of the cost, but I keep hearing horror stories of bent axle flanges.

should I save for wheels...sorry for the repeat, just trying to get a build list together for this winter.

Sorry, plan is stock axles till I get it paid d30 d44 non rubi on 35 falken wild peak

2011 Sport 2dr - SOLD
2013 JKU Sport - SOLD
2014 JKU Sport - Wife's DD
2015 JKU Sport - New Hotness
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-15-2011, 12:33 PM
Vin
Granite Guru

Start with some Crager soft 8s for 50 bucks a pop. You may be able to find them cheaper on ebay or craigslist.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-15-2011, 12:37 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Start with some Crager soft 8s for 50 bucks a pop. You may be able to find them cheaper on ebay or craigslist.
Yes depending on what size wheel he wants to run. The Cragers is a cheap option though. The wheel spacers is not bad either but you want one that is hub centric and make sure everything is torqed right. I would avoid eBay or craislist for something like wheel spacers...

Let us know if we can help!
-Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

Phone: 864-437-8029
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-15-2011, 01:14 PM
JKO Addict!

running spacers is no different than running 4.5" bs wheels. I always vote for new wheels unless you find a good deal on spacers. I've had good luck with eBay spacers that were 60 bucks a pair... But I still vote wheels.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #5 of 16 Old 10-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Granite Guru

Check JEGS for wheels, saw a killer deal on the jegs brand that looked like the CRAGAR soft 8.

2008 JK 2dr
2.5" Rock Krawler System, 35" Goodyear Duratracs
BFH Front, Genright Aluminum Carrier
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCo_Fox View Post
I don't care whose fault it is, somebody is going to get a kick in the dick and a swat on the twat.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-15-2011, 02:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
Let us know if we can help!
-Jason
2nd dibs if KOR can't hook you up..lol..

a.k.a. Christian - 2011 Black Jeep Wrangler JKU Rubicon
37" MTRK, RK 3.5 X-Factor (3-Link Rear) and other stuff..
Owner/Manager -
and other Web Properties

post #7 of 16 Old 10-15-2011, 03:35 PM
JKO Addict!

I am thinking about wheel spacers i am a fan of the stock rubi wheels, I have heard good things about the spidertrax ones, i feel more comfortable going that route other than finding cheap ones on ebay but thats just me

Also Jason at KOR is the man he's helped me out big time in the past, great guy to work with
post #8 of 16 Old 10-15-2011, 03:39 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

I wheeled the crap out of spidertrax with stock rubi wheels & 35" mud grapplers for almost 3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-15-2011, 04:25 PM
Granite Guru

Had two guys along ways from home stuck next to my store the other day due to a spacer failing. If it didn't break in the parking lot next to an auto parts store they may have had a serious and costly problem. I think if checked often and you have a quality product you may be ok. I have read more negative than positive on spacers between this forum and Cherokee forum so I would never even consider them other than an offroad only rig.

post #10 of 16 Old 10-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Rock God

I'm running spacers but only because I havent found a wheel I really want. I haven't had any issues with them but I rotate my tires every oil change and retorque the spacers while the wheels are off.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #11 of 16 Old 10-15-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I wheeled the crap out of spidertrax with stock rubi wheels & 35" mud grapplers for almost 3 years
Which spacers did you use?

2011 Sport 2dr - SOLD
2013 JKU Sport - SOLD
2014 JKU Sport - Wife's DD
2015 JKU Sport - New Hotness
post #12 of 16 Old 10-16-2011, 02:13 AM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Spacers are cool but you double the number of nuts that need to be tight. I ran them for a few months untill I could afford the correct backspacing.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #13 of 16 Old 10-16-2011, 07:28 AM
Granite Guru

Ive ran spacers for 4 mo wheeling and daily driving no probs yet but i keep a eye on things. Rember anything will fail if you dont maintain it correctly

Can't say
post #14 of 16 Old 10-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I have to run spacers because the wheels I have require them. My advice is get a set from a reputable manufacturer and make sure to torgue them correctly and recheck them after about 500 miles. I had one set fail on me and I beleive it was because they weren't installed propperly (I didn't install them). My second set were spidertrax and I installed and checked these personally and have never had a issue.

07 Rubi rescue Green
"The previous explanation is based on my historically bad memory of a conglomeration of past experiences and conversations. The opinions above probably have some kernel of truth to them but the details are most likely flawed on some level. Please acquire further help from experts before listening to anything I say."
post #15 of 16 Old 10-16-2011, 03:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqeejo View Post
Which spacers did you use?
Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I wheeled the crap out of >spidertrax< with stock rubi wheels & 35" mud grapplers for almost 3 years
This whole argument has gone down a dozen times or more on here.
Most of the the "spacers suck!, they'll kill you and rape your cat!" people have never used them, just heard stories.
I'm sure a few have failed, but so has at least a few of EVERY part.

I'm only gonna stand up for spidertrax, since they seemed to be the best, thats what I went with.
They're hubcentric, so most of the load is carried on the wheel hub.
People dont freak out and worry about their lug nuts possibly coming loose but thats the big "fear" with spacers. Theyre held on the same as your wheels.
Worrying about spacers coming loose is the same as worrying about your wheels coming loose and falling off.
Actually, your wheel lugs are MORE likely to back off, since you're supposed to use loctite on spacers, but no one loctites their lugs!

Mine were on since day fucking 2 of ownership up until I got my recentered humvee wheels a little while back. 3 years+ and 50k+ miles - most of it with 35"s.
I used loctite when I put them on never looked back.
Now they're on another JKO members rig, still doing their job.

The spacer horror stories /stigma mainly stems from the old crappy spacer plates from the go fast section at the local autoparts store that go over your lug bolts and behind the wheel.
They negate any hubcentric support the wheels had, put extra shear strain on lug bolts, etc.
And then idiots started stacking them, radically increasing the leverage on the lug bolts and reducing the amount of threads holding everything on and shit would break and fall off. - "Why did Fred's wheel fall off when he hit that speed bump?" "He had spacers and they made it break"

As far as extra leverage on hubs/bearings - its the same whether you have 6.25" backspace rims (stock) with a 1.5" spacer or a 4.75" BS wheel. The tire contact patch is going to be the same distance away from the centerline of the bearing surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #16 of 16 Old 10-21-2011, 07:42 PM
Granite Guru

I have rough country spacers on mu jku and 10 k later no problems id buy them again

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode