Cobra 75WXST vs Midland 75-822 - CB Radio Debate.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 10-14-2011, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Cobra 75WXST vs Midland 75-822 - CB Radio Debate....

So, I am trying to decide between two radios for my Jeep. I like the idea of a permanent CB radio installed, however the bigger head units are just too big for my 2011+ interior(and I don't want to mount it inside the center console or overhead). So I was thinking one of these two small handhelds.

Both seem about on par with eachother, but...still arguing with myself.

Midland 75-822:

The Midland plugs into a cigarette lighter for power and does not have permanent wiring to the Jeep's battery. So now if I go with this one, one of my 12v accessory outlets is used by the CB. I'd have to plug my GPS into the center console's interior outlet. Very annoying... So I'd expect the midland to also have more static noise.

But a big plus is that no extra wiring is needed beyond the antenna and if I want to switch to portable and carry it, it comes with it's own stubby antenna and battery pack for hand-carry out of the vehicle. Awesome.

Cobra 75WXST:

The cobra has the remote box which I can mount under the dash and wire it directly to the battery. I can then use the CB whenever I want without worrying about it taking up my 12v power outlet. I also expect less static noise since it'd be wired directly to the battery rather than a 12v outlet.

However, this lacks the portable feature to hand-carry. But, it is still a great radio and being able to permantly connect it to the battery is a plus.

I would LOVE to have the Cobra 29 LX in my Jeep, but it's just too big to put where I'd want to mount it. So, I have to suffer with a smaller radio. And the more compact CB radios generally don't have the NOAA Weather channels, another must for me. These two do have the WX and are ultra compact in size, but also have smaller speakers and less features.

I'd love to mount a traditional base unit like this, but can't find any small enough with NOAA Weather channels:

-Brett
---------------------------------------------
My Jeep: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 6-Spd Manual, Cosmos Blue
"The Smurf":
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous Jeeps:

Last edited by BrettDez; 10-14-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 10-14-2011, 03:57 PM
JKO Addict!

I have the 75 and only issue was the speaker but if u want to hear anything with the top down u can add a small plug in one.

Sent from the bat phone!

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #3 of 40 Old 10-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have both. I use the 75 most the time since its hardwired. It really needed a external speaker to hear well.

The midland actually works Quite well as a hand held. I use the energizer rechargeables in it. If someone needs a cb i loan them it on the trail runs.

At on point i had a Uniden PC 68 above the mirror but that has changed. It was a great radio with weatheer channels.

You smell that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 10-14-2011, 08:24 PM
Granite Guru

I have the Midland. I haven't experienced much noise with it and like it a lot. Easy to use and modular. A big plus for me.
post #5 of 40 Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 PM
Granite Guru

i figure most little radios are only good for jeep to jeep talking if you get around a mountain in a valley you need a little more radio not a fan of those kind. if your gonna do any kind of radio get a set up that can transmit as well as receive radio isnt any good without a good mounted antenna and those uniden 510 radios work for what they are. ham radio is a whole other story and animal

just the simple bare necessities to get from point A to point B and back again
08 4dr rubicon,poly performance,rockhard,superwinch,37's wild peaks,plus a really nice stereo.
post #6 of 40 Old 10-14-2011, 09:40 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

I have the Midland 75-822 and use it when on wheeling trips. Works great. I even run a cable between the handheld (external speaker jack) to the Aux on my in dash radio. That way I can set the volumn a bit higher and the sounds comes out nice and clear.

I do plan on someday installing a permnante 75. I saw a write up for a behind (not in) the glove box that I want to do.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #7 of 40 Old 10-14-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

lol, well contrary to my original post I decided to go with a permanent base station like I preferred. I just ordered a Cobra 18WXSTII. It is still pretty compact and with my measurements I should be able to get it to fit alongside the console by the legs like shown above without any problems(yeah like anything has no problems...).

It has all the standard features and NOAA weather channels. Also nice is that there is a front-facing speaker, so when I have it alongside the console pointed up, the speaker should be pointed at me.

I think I'm going to buy a Midland eventually as a portable backup when a buddy needs to borrow one or to assist while spotting for someone else.

-Brett
---------------------------------------------
My Jeep: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 6-Spd Manual, Cosmos Blue
"The Smurf":

Previous Jeeps:

post #8 of 40 Old 10-15-2011, 02:08 AM
Rock God

I been using the Cobra 75 WX ST and Liberty Antenna with Custom Mount for about 4 years now with a external speaker and love it.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #9 of 40 Old 06-24-2012, 06:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Bumping this up

I am thinking of getting the midland
I really like the fact that it can run portable , that why if I am out the jeep I can still get ahold of people
post #10 of 40 Old 06-24-2012, 06:25 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

I have the 75-822 and I only use it as a handheld on the trail. No complaints with performance at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #11 of 40 Old 06-24-2012, 06:31 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
Bumping this up

I am thinking of getting the midland
I really like the fact that it can run portable , that why if I am out the jeep I can still get ahold of people
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
I have the 75-822 and I only use it as a handheld on the trail. No complaints with performance at this point.
This works amazingly well when you are out and spotting. Something that sometimes makes a big difference.

I have had issues with it wired into my CB. I can not tune it worth a damn.

YAY, I'm a forum refugee!
2011 JKU SPORT w/track-loc
4" SkyJacker L.A kit, modified... ... ...
Off Road Evolution drag link flip kit with SJ drop pitman arm. 35 BFG Muds. Level 8 wheels. Katzkin leather interior. Warn VR-10,000-s winch. Lazerstar LED 10" fog and driving lights. IPF headlights. Jeetops sunroof inserts for Freedom top. Poison Spyder Rock-Brawler front bumper, Rocker Knockers side rails and rear Tire carrier. G2 5.13 gears. AFE cat-back, stage2 intake and programmer
post #12 of 40 Old 06-24-2012, 06:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKBucko View Post
This works amazingly well when you are out and spotting. Something that sometimes makes a big difference.
That's the main reason I like it the most
post #13 of 40 Old 09-04-2014, 04:39 AM

Old thread, but new question. You can always run a cable from the battery to have an extra cigarette lighter port for the Midland. When plugged in will it charge rechargeable double A's? That would be an awesome feature!

Thanks,

Jason

2013 JKUR
post #14 of 40 Old 09-04-2014, 07:01 AM
Granite Guru

I installed the Cobra75 in my wife's Jeep and it works great. I used the console outlet for power and when done wheeling I pull the aerial and unplug mic and you can't tell it's there. I've been going back & forth between these two for my Jeep. The Midland would be really easy to just unplug & put away after the trip. There aren't a lot of stores anymore that have cb equipment to shop for. I used to use the Radio Shack but they barely have a cable anymore.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #15 of 40 Old 09-04-2014, 07:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have the Cobra. It works pretty well and I have never really had any issues with the speaker....on a trail. Plenty loud enough. But getting out on the road, you either have to turn the music almost off or crank the radio.

Mine is tuned with a Firestik antenna. I know another person with the Cobra and they can't hear anything, same setup as me, unturned. It makes a big difference in quality

In my '11

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #16 of 40 Old 09-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Granite Guru

I have this one, Cobra 29LXLE 50th Anniversary Limited Edition 40-Channel CB Radio (29LXLE),
but don't know where to mount it. Anyone have shots of radios this size mounted?
post #17 of 40 Old 09-04-2014, 01:06 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottenbelly View Post
I have both. I use the 75 most the time since its hardwired. It really needed a external speaker to hear well.

The midland actually works Quite well as a hand held. I use the energizer rechargeables in it. If someone needs a cb i loan them it on the trail runs.

At on point i had a Uniden PC 68 above the mirror but that has changed. It was a great radio with weatheer channels.
How did you mount that? Did you use the supplied radio bracket?
post #18 of 40 Old 09-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

We sell both, the 75x is a nicer radio. The built in weather is a huge plus. We also use the cool tech mount the cleanest way to mount a cb in a Jk.

Jason

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 8673
Size:  129.2 KB

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps

Last edited by jdemonto; 09-04-2014 at 06:24 PM.
post #19 of 40 Old 09-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Granite Guru

Does the Midland use only the black antenna that is on it or a hard mounted one like a firestick?

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #20 of 40 Old 09-05-2014, 07:58 AM
Granite Guru

I've been using the 75x for years. I'm on my 3rd one in about 14 years.

I've had a few problems but I still like it. I really abuse stuff so things not lasting forever isn't really new to me.

1. The mic is heavy since everything is contained within it. I've broken the thing off the back of everyone of them I have owned. This leads to flopping around in the Jeep and a scratched up, hard to read face as well as some good times trying to fish it out from under the seat while offroad.

2. The button you push to talk wears out. Happened twice...

3. Every radio snob will tell you what a POS it is when they see it. No one has ever called me out for having one while I was talking to them on it so it must not be that bad!

4. I have been told that because of its compact size it has a tiny heat sink and that is why it's a POS. I don't know much about that...

I had the best luck with it while using a firestick mounted on the roof (targa bar) of my old Samurai.
With a bumper mounted firestick it is only adequate. I'm still rarely the guy with the worst radio though. That usually goes to someone who bought a fancy radio, an illegal booster and has his mic volume too high or some setting out of whack.

Keep it simple for basic Jeep to Jeep communication.
post #21 of 40 Old 09-05-2014, 08:21 AM
It never ends...

I have both types. I put the battery in the midland and give it to the new guy to use. Both work fine.

Most of the experienced guys I wheel with don't use a cb. Everyone is good about staying in sight of each other.

The cb is particularly useful with new people. Saves getting out of the jeep to say things like "turn rear locker on". "Put it in 4 wheel low now".

I love Wheeling, it frees the mind
T-REX
Meet Rex Thread:
Adventures of Rex Thread:
post #22 of 40 Old 09-05-2014, 08:27 AM
Rock God

Garage

my Grandpa sold CB radios and i even had my own handle by 6 years old

i'm a die hard Cobra fan, cant go wrong with them

"Gremlin"
Nothing in my jeep is sacred, except my jelly beans and apple liquorice. Don't touch those...
post #23 of 40 Old 09-05-2014, 09:02 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandRubi View Post
Most of the experienced guys I wheel with don't use a cb. Everyone is good about staying in sight of each other.

The cb is particularly useful with new people. Saves getting out of the jeep to say things like "turn rear locker on". "Put it in 4 wheel low now".
I couldn't agree more with you In most circumstances.
I am lucky to live in an area that we can do 200+ mile dirt trips. In some sections we can go 45-50mph but we have to spread out because of the dust. It is handy to tell the people up front that someone had to stop that is towards the rear....that is if someone isn't playing dj or BSing about their neighbors cat over the dang thing.
I am also guilty of cranking up the music on these fast, boring parts so normally I can't even hear the dang thing.
I encourage everyone to at least stay within sight of the guy behind them's dust trail.
post #24 of 40 Old 09-05-2014, 09:12 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Totally off topic but can someone tell me what the rocker switch between the power window switches is for? Please don't say it is to disable the power window since it doesn't do much good in sight and within reach of the person you are trying to keep from rolling it down! My 2012 doesn't have that...
post #25 of 40 Old 09-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonVideo View Post
Old thread, but new question. You can always run a cable from the battery to have an extra cigarette lighter port for the Midland. When plugged in will it charge rechargeable double A's? That would be an awesome feature!

Thanks,

Jason
in short the answer is no.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode