Iroks - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Iroks

I was thinking about switching from Goodyear mrt/k's to a 37" Irok radial. Anybody running these, also how are they on the road. I've run swampers before in the bias and the ssr's didn't care to much for the road manners but was wondering about the Iroks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-14-2011, 03:26 AM
JKO Addict!

I drove from pittsburgh to los angeles and back on a set of 37" bias. Other than wearing quickly I thought they were great.

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #3 of 24 Old 10-14-2011, 07:57 AM
JKO Addict!

I have 39.5 IROK Radials, other than a bitch to get balanced they are a great tire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 10-14-2011, 09:00 AM
Rock God

I'm running 39.5"iroks but bias ply on my daily driver. 10oz. of beads in each and absolutely no balancing issues. I have yet to get flat spotting at 20psi. And these things are awsome offroad. But as mentioned, they do wear quickly.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-14-2011, 09:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Don't forget to give the Pitbull Rockers a look. I debated the Iroks for a while, too, but after talking to alot of people I opted for the Rockers. I don't regret it in the least. They've been great so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 Old 10-14-2011, 09:51 AM
Granite Guru

I have 3 buddies running Irocks and all three are trying to sell them. In Colorado they seem to be the worst tire in terms of traction. We just got back from Moab and they stunk out there also. What size are you looking for, maybe you can score a used set? From my experiance wheeling next to them I'd never own a set.

Jeep Jumps, Nemesis Rocks, Hutchinson Shimmies
post #7 of 24 Old 10-14-2011, 10:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Wow, that's a surprise to me. I ran 36x13.5x15" IROK radials on my last rig and they stuck to everything like octopus suckers, particulalrly in Moab. Wear is VERY rapid, however, not sure I'd want them on a dual street/trail rig. The bias plys are overly stiff IMHO. On a moderately weighted Jeep you can air them down to basically 0 psi and they'll still stand on the sidewalls. Radials are another matter all together. Sidewalls are very tough & cut resistant, but will flex nicely when aired down to <10psi.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-14-2011, 11:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyjk View Post
I have 3 buddies running Irocks and all three are trying to sell them. In Colorado they seem to be the worst tire in terms of traction. We just got back from Moab and they stunk out there also. What size are you looking for, maybe you can score a used set? From my experiance wheeling next to them I'd never own a set.
I've heard guys calling them I cant's... i don'tk now why. Mine were awesome in everything from Moab to wellsville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Wow, that's a surprise to me. I ran 36x13.5x15" IROK radials on my last rig and they stuck to everything like octopus suckers, particulalrly in Moab. Wear is VERY rapid, however, not sure I'd want them on a dual street/trail rig. The bias plys are overly stiff IMHO. On a moderately weighted Jeep you can air them down to basically 0 psi and they'll still stand on the sidewalls. Radials are another matter all together. Sidewalls are very tough & cut resistant, but will flex nicely when aired down to <10psi.
you have to break in the bias. My broken in bias 39.5's will fully collapse at 0 psi no problem. New iroks though i run at like 4 psi on the trail, these i have to keep closer to 9 in them.

post #9 of 24 Old 10-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Wheeler

I have the 37-12.5-16 Irok ND and I love them
post #10 of 24 Old 10-14-2011, 02:33 PM
Rock God

You will definitely be burning through the money running them on the street. Road manners will be similar to the TSL bias swampers, but slightly better. One of the best dedicated rock tires out there. If someone ran them and didn't like them, it was likely they werent broken in yet. With ANY bias tire sidewall, it needs to trail time. New tires don't stick as well as one that has been rounded out as bit as well. Get some trips on an Irok and broken in, it will be one of the best offroad tires you own if you do dedicated rock trails. IMHO, the TSL is a better mud/rock tire if you're in a mixed environment. Pitbulls... I've only seen in action a few time and don't know if it was the drivers or what, but... eh.

Irok, TSL or Pitbull, you run those bias ply tires on the street you'll be replacing them really soon. TSL and Irok radial have a bit better street manners, but that rubber is still really soft (good for offroad, bad for streets). If you want a aggressive tire that's tolerable on the street, the Nitto Mud Grappler is a good one. Won't last as long at an MT/R or Trail Grappler, but it's a heck of a tire.
post #11 of 24 Old 10-14-2011, 02:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Bias iroks are light year better than bias tsl's. Ive run iroks, Tsl's, and tsl sx's all in a 36" and no way could I have driven on the tsl's across the country. The iroks were very livable with minimal flat spotting and really good road manners.

They did wear quickly though

post #12 of 24 Old 10-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Wheeler

I just put a set of 39.5 Iroks on and I think they drive just fine for a tire this big. Not that much weight to balance them either. I got them because I know they kick ass in deep snow!

Black unlimited Rubi (was silver), 5.7 Hemi,Dynatrac full float 60s, 39.5 Iroks,Spyderlock wheels,PSC steering, teraflex long arm,Fox shocks,speed bumps, 1350 shafts, 5:38 gears, Lod Rear Pure Jeep front bumper, Warn 9.5 ti, Lod sliders.
post #13 of 24 Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Rock God

I can't add anything but, I am gonna keep an eye on this thread as I keep thinking about switching from 35" MTR Kevlars to some 37" radial Iroks myself! Odd coincidence! LOL!

My only Swamper experience was with some 33" radial TSL's that were on my last truck when I bought it, they were surprisingly quiet and nice handling on the street, I was shocked! Never wheeled them though, they were WAY to small for that truck!
post #14 of 24 Old 10-16-2011, 09:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm on my 3rd set of Iroks on my Jeep. I have ran everything out West a jeep could go through, and some a Jeep can't go through. Probably half the rigs in Johnson Valley run a Swamper Irok or TSL.

Don't know where the "the Iroks don't hook up in Moab" comment came from, I disprove that every year.

IMO, they are the best balance between a pure trail tire and a tire with good enough manners to get to the trial. The MTR is way better for a daily driver, the Maxis Crawlers are a better trail tire, and the Irok is somewhere in between IMO.

They are soft compared to MTRs or KM2s, so wear very fast and can chunk like crazy in sharp dry rocks. Mine get replaced mainly due to chunking more than wear.

The only Iroks I hated were the 39.5 Bias. The "balloon profile" really sucked, and they would loose an inner bead every time I went under 10PSI (which is a common problem with this size Irok). The 39.5s also have very shallow lugs compared to other Iroks. The 37", 41", and 42" Iroks are all very good tires.
post #15 of 24 Old 10-16-2011, 04:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
I'm on my 3rd set of Iroks on my Jeep. I have ran everything out West a jeep could go through, and some a Jeep can't go through. Probably half the rigs in Johnson Valley run a Swamper Irok or TSL.

Don't know where the "the Iroks don't hook up in Moab" comment came from, I disprove that every year.

IMO, they are the best balance between a pure trail tire and a tire with good enough manners to get to the trial. The MTR is way better for a daily driver, the Maxis Crawlers are a better trail tire, and the Irok is somewhere in between IMO.

They are soft compared to MTRs or KM2s, so wear very fast and can chunk like crazy in sharp dry rocks. Mine get replaced mainly due to chunking more than wear.

The only Iroks I hated were the 39.5 Bias. The "balloon profile" really sucked, and they would loose an inner bead every time I went under 10PSI (which is a common problem with this size Irok). The 39.5s also have very shallow lugs compared to other Iroks. The 37", 41", and 42" Iroks are all very good tires.
I've heard that about the 39.5s but knock on wood mine have been fine. My 42s on my other Tj were great. I'm eventually going back to a 42

post #16 of 24 Old 10-21-2011, 10:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm torn on my next tire and I'm looking for a little advice here. Right now I run 35" KM2s and I love them. I want to keep my 16" wheels because I think they are the perfect size for the trails I am often on. The extra sidewall is great. So here are my options...

365/75R16 (38.5x14.5R16) KM2s, load range C, 80 lbs. per tire

or

39.5x13.5R16 Irok bias, load range E, 85 lbs. per tire

or

39.5 x13.5R16 Irok Radial, load range E, 96 lbs. per tire

They all seem to cost around the same, except for the Irok radials, which may be more. Since I live in the heart of the city, my jeep has become less and less of a daily driver and it really only hits the road when going back and forth to trails. The drawbacks are that I see a lot of mixed reviews on here for the Iroks in the 39.5 size, and then the KM2s in the 14.5 width may be a bit hard to balance on my 8" wheels. I know they can work on an 8" wheel cause a buddy of mine runs this exact setup. I'm looking for something that will really tear it up off road, and I have been really happy with the KM2s other than the sidewalls. The chunking hasn't been too bad even though I do lots of rocks. And they all still hold air great even though the sidewalls look like wolverine 's punching bag.

So are the Iroks going to blow the KM2s away off road in ways that will justify the quick wear?
Or should I stick with the KM2s since they are the best all around tire out there?
And when it comes to Iroks specifically in the 39.5 size, whats better, the bias or the radial?
Radials are like 15 lbs. more per tire, and yes I have a dana 30 up front.

P.S. Don't hate on the 30, it is what it is and its going to stay till I can afford a 60 or ford 9, i'm ready for whatever issues may come with big tires and broken axles...

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s

Last edited by Joneszj; 10-21-2011 at 10:13 AM.
post #17 of 24 Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joneszj View Post
So are the Iroks going to blow the KM2s away off road in ways that will justify the quick wear? Or should I stick with the KM2s since they are the best all around tire out there?
off road, in this part of the country? Absolutely.

I've only run KM2's in the 35" size, but i've run 36" iroks and its like "holy shit i can't believe i'm still moving forward" when you're on muddy hill climbs or mud covered rocks.

The biggest place i noticed a difference was during low speed crawling. WAY more control. Way less sliding off rocks, etc.

also, you'll probably have less issues airing down a 39.5" irok than a 38.5" KM/2. That's pure speculation on my part. I run outer beadlocks with my 39.5's but i've never had an issue.

the iroks are very liveable on the street as well. I've never driven mine in the snow (other than snowmaggeddon a few years ago where they were unstoppable) but my buddy has radial 36's and he said they are great. My bias TSL's were instant death in the snow lol.

post #18 of 24 Old 10-21-2011, 11:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
1) So are the Iroks going to blow the KM2s away off road in ways that will justify the quick wear?

2) Or should I stick with the KM2s since they are the best all around tire out there?

3) And when it comes to Iroks specifically in the 39.5 size, whats better, the bias or the radial?
1) Yes. 35" KM2s were the first tires I had on my Jeep 3 months after I bought it. The KM2s were good on dry rock and excellent on the street and in the sand. But the Irok blows it to kingdom come in mud, rocks, and snow.

2) KM2 is alright, but far from the best all around tire out there. They bring the suck in wet conditions and have notoriously wimpy sidewalls.

3) I only ran the bias 39.5s, my last set that I changed out 2 weeks ago. They lasted me one year of hard wheeling almost every weekend. I only put 9K miles on the tires (mostly a trail rig). But the 39.5s rode surprisingly well on the street. Tread wear was not bad, but I chunked off all of my outer and inner lugs and started loosing a few center ones. They were full of plugs and had many deep cuts in the sidewalls and some were slowly leaking air. I would say they held up pretty well to the abuse. I have outer beadlocks, and anytime I went under 10# I would loose an inner bead and others that I wheel with are having similar issues with the same size Irok - this was my main issue with the 39.5s. The bias will hold up to sidewall abuse better than the radial, but the radial is more street friendly and airs down better on the trail. If I didn't expect a lot of sidewall abuse, I would get the radials. If you are searching for the ultimate off-road tire with the best sidewall protection - look no further than Maxis creepy crawlers - but you would be lucky to get 6 months of street use out of those.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-21-2011, 12:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

great info 2k2 and desert dog.

I've been throwing around the Irok debate for a while now, practicality says KM2s, but performance wise, I've seen Iroks gain traction in places they had no business getting traction.

desert dog - what size wheels are you running that you're having the issues with blowing beads? i know you wheel your jeep hard, i've seen the pics on here, but you're saying you'd pop the bead when you were actually airing down, like before hitting the trails or what?

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #20 of 24 Old 10-21-2011, 05:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
desert dog - what size wheels are you running that you're having the issues with blowing beads? i know you wheel your jeep hard, i've seen the pics on here, but you're saying you'd pop the bead when you were actually airing down, like before hitting the trails or what?
17x9 Trailready beadlocks, but its not the wheels it is the tires that are the problem. Google seach "39.5 Irok inner bead" and you will see that it is very common - but only with this tire size. I wish I researched it more before I bought those. I had 37" Iroks on it before that and I loved those. My tires would loses beads while wheeling, not while airing down. I like to run the rocks at about 7-8 PSI and those tires just did not like that. Now, if you only air down to 15psi when you wheel, than you may never notice it.

If you are leaning towards a radial, I would jump up to the 41s. If you need a bias, definately go 42s.

I know you have heard it plenty of times, but man - 42s with a D30 is a horrible idea. Hell, D44s with 42s is a bad idea. I have broken 35 spline chromoly axles on my D60 with 39.5s. Shit, 40s with no hydro steer brings the suck.
post #21 of 24 Old 10-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Rock God

I run 39.5 bias on my DD, my round trip for work is 16 miles. They are not that bad on the street. They have done great offroad for me.

08 jk unlimited X
1 ton axles
39.5 Iroks

post #22 of 24 Old 01-19-2014, 11:38 PM
Rock God

I am running 36x13.5r17 iroks irok04 and they are great on icy highways. Thy are so much better than my old MTR's. There really is no question which is a better all around tire. We shall see how long they will last.

JKUR auto | 5:38 | tires 36"x17 wheels 9"x4.5"bs | TF 6"| ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV shafts | SC traildash | Xenon fenders | OBA York

post #23 of 24 Old 01-19-2014, 11:49 PM
JKO Addict!

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
post #24 of 24 Old 01-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Granite Guru

I ran 36x13.5r15 bias ply Iroks on an XJ and absolutely loved them on and off the trail. They balanced well, rode well, did great in every type of terrain and with my 8" wide steel wheels I could run 4psi no problem. The 39.5r20 bias ply Iroks on my YJ brought the suck, they popped beads easily and didn't grip anything worth a damn. I replaced them with some 42r17 bias ply Iroks and loved those as well.

I too am considering going back to Iroks with my next set of tires on the JK. How are the radial versions? Do they wear better on the road or are they still super soft?

Americans can sleep peaceably at night because US Soldiers stand ready to fight on their behalf

2008 Unlimited Rubicon: 37's, 3" Synergy Springs, Artec trusses, 5.38's, Winch, PSC/Poly Cage, Bumpers, TNT Alum belly skids, and other doodads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode