Shipping using grey hound? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Shipping using grey hound?

I have found a soft top but in a bind trying to have it shipped here. Greyhound package express is around $100. ive heard some bad things and good things. Wondering if anyone has used the service before or knows anyone who has used it before?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Wheeler

I've shipped and received things via greyhound. It's probably the cheapest way to ship but it can also be very slow. I also don't think they handle packages very gently and don't give a damn if something happens. I had a trunk lid shipped through them and even though the box was double padded on the ends they still managed to break off a corner on the lid.
If the soft top is padded extremely well and tight it might make the journey unscathed. Depending on how much you payed for it you might not want to take the risk.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

time im not worried about. i beleive they offer insurance as well, so if they break it, its on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bump. Anyone else use them?
post #5 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 PM
Rock God

We shipped a roof rack for an XJ with Grey Hound. Three months later the customer contacted us asking if it was going to ship. Grey Hound not only lost the item, never called the customer or us and denied our insurance claim despite paying for coverage.

Cliff notes:
We shipped a rack.
GH lost it.
We lost money.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

for up to date product updates and specials!
Follow us on
post #6 of 10 Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Rock God

Don't know if you're in Canada or US but if in Canada everything I've recieved has had the shit beat out of it. Make sure its packaged well. I've gotten Teraflex bumpers and Rugged Ridge half doors in the last 4 years. If the Manufacturer doesn't pack them well they will take a beating. If there are loose parts expect them missing. The stuff I got just had cardboard damage but any frail item won't make it. Granted these are large items but you're paying proportionatly for large items and they don't give a shit.
Good luck.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-14-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks for the replies. not sure if i want to take a chance, even with insurance, seems like if something broke it would be hard to get anything out of them.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-16-2011, 09:23 AM
JKO Addict!

I've shipped through Greyhound...Hoods and stuff..and it always comes in perfect. Actually in lots of cases...on awkward size pieces, they ship cheaper.

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

post #9 of 10 Old 10-16-2011, 11:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

I shipped a light bar via Greyhound earlier this year. Cost less than half what FedEx/UPS wanted. Arrived in two days with no damage other than the padding on one of the corners had worn through and scuffed the powder coating. I had only wrapped the bar in a couple layers of foam and plastic pallet wrap, so I chalked it up to poor packing on my part.

In my case it was a straight shot from the drop-off point to the destination. I think where you run into problems is when the item has to be transferred to different buses due to routing. The transfers mean more time and handling; opportunities for delay and damage.

@JCROffroad, I haven't had to deal with Greyhound on a claim, but I have with UPS and FedEx. All major shippers self-insure, and their first response is to always deny the claim. It is a pain in the ass, but you do have to put in time and effort to document your costs and fight them. My experience is if you stick with it you will eventually get most if not all of your costs back, particularly if it is a low enough value item to threaten small claims court action.

But after 3 months I could see it being extremely difficult to make a claim. At this point at least part of the fault lies with you and/or the customer for lack of communications. I always send the buyer notification of any delays and then tracking or waybill info on shipment, fulfilling my communications responsibilities. If the customer doesn't respond the implication is that everything arrived in good condition. Patience is a good thing, but as with anything else, too much of a good thing is bad.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #10 of 10 Old 10-16-2011, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks for the replies. i think i may just do it.

@BumpInTheRoad thats true. with shipping companies you do need to do a little work, they going to deny you and you need to fight it cause they could care less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode