Dead starter requires a $85 TIPM reprogram? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-11-2011, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Dead starter requires a $85 TIPM reprogram?

Ended up killing my starter playing in a mud pit at Uwharrie last Monday. Couldn't find any place within an hours drive that had one in stock, and being from ~5 hours away myself and not being able to miss work Tuesday, I had my JK towed to the closest Jeep dealer and drove home in a rental.

Dealer ordered one yesterday, and called this afternoon to say my JK is ready. $402 for the starter replacement, plus $14 in parts, and another $85 to "reprogram the TIPM".

When I dropped it off, there were no codes showing on the dash, so I'm confused about what they'd need to touch the TIPM for.

Anyone know if there is something TIPM related that goes along with replacing the starter? I questioned the dealer about it (over the phone) and it went from "mumble mumble bigger tires" to finally "I told you that there may be additional things required to fix your Jeep", but he could never give me anything specific about touching the TIPM with a starter.

When the tow truck dropped me and my JK off, one the service advisors met me with a big grin, pointing at the mud on my JK and making a comment about how their dealership makes a lot of money off of people killing their Jeeps in Uwharrie, so maybe I'm being paranoid about this... lol

Any advice would be cool. Thanks.

Last edited by aristobrat; 08-18-2015 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Wheeler

Recently I misdiagnosed my Jeep as having a bad starter. The symptoms all pointed to typically bad starter issues. So I installed a new starter and to my surprise, the Jeep continued to have starting problems. I jumped on forums and realized some JK owners are having the same problem and that it is related to a poor ground connection to the block and starter. Dealer service departments seem to think that replacing the TIPM, re-programming it, or installing a transmission range sensor will cure the problem.

So it's possible your dealer replaced the starter but noticed that you still had starting issues.

Or, more than likely, the tech failed to remember to disconnect the battery before installing the new starter and shorted out your TIPM which the dealer then had to reflash.

If it's the former then it's unfortunate but I can understand them charging you for the re-programming because they were trying, in good faith, to resolve your problem based on their operating procedures. If it's the latter, then they should not charge you for the incompetence of their tech.

2008 2 Door Rubicon
4" Zone Lift
15x10 Ion 138
35x13.50R15 Toyo Open Country MT
A bunch of other stuff done and yet to do
post #3 of 10 Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 PM
Granite Guru

as I always do upgrade the grounds!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Maker of Black box, In-cab winch control and other electronics
Want to make wiring easy and painless?
Order your "Black Box" today!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-12-2011, 04:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

We Changed my mud filled starter out a while ago
Didn't have the dealership do it and nothing else was needed
Sounds like they worked ya

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #5 of 10 Old 10-12-2011, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm on my way to go pick it up (yay for spending 10 hours behind the wheel today). I'll ask some more before I pay, maybe they'll back off the TIPM charge.
post #6 of 10 Old 10-12-2011, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by txjeeplover View Post
So it's possible your dealer replaced the starter but noticed that you still had starting issues.

Or, more than likely, the tech failed to remember to disconnect the battery before installing the new starter and shorted out your TIPM which the dealer then had to reflash.

If it's the former then it's unfortunate but I can understand them charging you for the re-programming because they were trying, in good faith, to resolve your problem based on their operating procedures. If it's the latter, then they should not charge you for the incompetence of their tech.
IF the dealer misdiagnosed the starting problem and replaced a starter that was not bad it should be on them and they could still put the original starter in. I HIGHLY doubt they did either of the things above, they are just raping him Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnick View Post
We Changed my mud filled starter out a while ago
Didn't have the dealership do it and nothing else was needed
Sounds like they worked ya
X2 I changed my starter and never had to have anything reprogrammed.

It seems like they are just doing like they said "making a lot of money off people who wheel at uwharrie" they should be burned down to the ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #7 of 10 Old 10-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Rock God

Got a new Mopar starter for $125 from MoparPartsOnline and never needed a "reprogram". 10 minute install and off I went. You got ripped.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #8 of 10 Old 10-12-2011, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk JK View Post
You got ripped.
Yup. Was able to reduce the rippage a bit though.

Original Invoice:
Code:
$ 50 = diagnostic 
$153 = electrical (starter replacement labor)
$ 85 = electrical (TIPM reprogram)
$195 = new starter
------
$511 total (after taxes + materials)
When I asked for a more thorough explanation on how the TIPM and starter replacement were related, and started asking about why the starter replacement labor was so high when it's normally a .8 hour job, the Advisor spoke to the Manager and this is how it worked out:

Final Invoice:
Code:
$ 50 = diagnostic 
$ 68 = electrical (starter replacement labor)
$ 00 = electrical (TIPM reprogram)
$195 = new starter
------
$341 total (after taxes + materials)
They wouldn't budge on their diagnostic fee or their super-inflated price (IMO) for the new starter, but after going from $511 to $341 without having to get shitty (I just asked for clarification on the TIPM and amount of time it actually took), and the fact they were super cool otherwise (keeping my JK in the repair bay after it was fixed because it was full of camping gear and I didn't have the back windows in), it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-12-2011, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Shit, I forgot -- thanks to everyone for the replies. Definitely gave me the info I needed to start asking about what the hell they were doing!
post #10 of 10 Old 10-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Granite Guru

511 was absurd. I have sold a few of those starts at my store now. I get 140 and never had a guy come back with a problem yet with anything TIPM related. Looks like they were just seeing how far they could take you and didn't realize you had JKO to back you with info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode