Oil burning 3.8? Has anyone tried MOPAR CCC? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Oil burning 3.8? Has anyone tried MOPAR CCC?

I bought a 07 Rubicon Unlimited with 39k about 1.5 years ago. During oil changes I did notice that I would be about a quart down, every 5k. About 8 week ago I noticed increased consumption, about 1 quart every 2k. I started to do some research... noticed lots of complaints about this issue. Obviously a trend with the 3.8 in the JK's (or in general). I tried a new PCV valve... quick easy thing to try... but It didn't seem to help my oil consumption issue (I still noticed consumption after 500 miles). I kept digging....

I found a thread out there about the issue and one possible fix that I didn't read about in these forums... MOPAR CCC (Combustion Chamber Cleaner). about 9$ at the dealer. I read a few different ways to use it (seems everyone has their own version)... I used 2 cans (two applications, not 2 cans at once).

I don't want to be premature, but after 2000k miles, I have 0 quarts of oil consumption. My gut tells me I will find some oil consumption after 5000k if I let it go that long.....

Either way, the MOPAR CCC seems to have solved my oil consumption issue on my 3.8 so far! After 1500k, I changed my plugs, the stock plugs looked ashy, gray-white. No oil on the plugs, but they did look old (glad I replaced them before the 100k mark).

Lots of you-tube vids of people using the CCC on other vehicles. Someone else should give this a try to see if the results are reproducible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Rock God

Did you just follow the directions on the can? I'm having some oil consumption issues like yours but no visible leak anywhere.

Sent via Pony Express

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #3 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 06:48 PM
JKO Addict!

That sounds good, but I cannot see why it would fix any sort of oil consumption issues. Shouldn't affect the sealing of your rings, it's intention should be to remove carbon from the piston/back of the valves. Unless it somehow treated a potential valve seal problem that was causing consumption.

Hope it works out for the long run, keep us posted.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I put the whole can into the throttle body and then let it sit for a few hours. After that, I started it up (had to try a few times) and then reved it up to about 3 and back down again.. over and over... once it heated back up, it blew out some smoke (gray-white).. after it stopped smoking I took it for a drive.

If you do some searching, there are many many ways which people tell you to use it... some even say to change the oil after, and some say to use a 2nd can in the pistons directly..... I went the simple approach 1st.
post #5 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'll try to find the link... it was something about carbon buildup on the oil channel or oil guide... nothing about seals at all from what I was reading. I know I don't drive my JK all that hard... trying to get better MPG.. I think being so lean on the gas might accumulate carbon buildup. I've been better about putting my foot in the throttle a bit now and then, maybe help keep some of the buildup down. I'll see if I can dig that link up.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmacauto View Post
I'll try to find the link... it was something about carbon buildup on the oil channel or oil guide... nothing about seals at all from what I was reading. I know I don't drive my JK all that hard... trying to get better MPG.. I think being so lean on the gas might accumulate carbon buildup. I've been better about putting my foot in the throttle a bit now and then, maybe help keep some of the buildup down. I'll see if I can dig that link up.
im interested, i did a engine flush with 40,000 miles and added some lucas oil stabilizer and gained some mpg. my jeep is burning about a quart ever 3000 miles
post #7 of 12 Old 10-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

ive seen oil consumption caused by worn valve guides...

"Eat Liquid Gold"
post #8 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Granite Guru

do you have the part # handy? i found 4318001AD after a quick google search... wondering if that's the same thing you used.

http://www.factorymoparparts.com/4318001ad.html

no pic or description other than "Mopar Part 4318001AD COMBUSTION CHAMBER CLEANER".

i believe i'll try this too... it's cheap enough

thanks for the heads up!

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
post #9 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Rock God

I used 5w30 had no oil consumption at 4,000 miles
Next oil change I used 5w20 and at 4,000 miles I was a quart low.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-12-2011, 09:57 PM
Granite Guru

FYI... Found a write-up on jeepsunlimited.com:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...hamber+Cleaner

...and several other threads referencing the same 4318001xx part number, so must be it

I really need to try this. Been pinging pretty bad on the last 3 fill-ups. Tried different gas station last time, but still pinging. Oil consumption increased recently as well (1 quart low @ 3,700 miles - was only 1/2 quart low @ the previous two 5,500 mile oil changes). Coincidence???

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
post #11 of 12 Old 10-13-2011, 05:49 AM
Rock God

Sees like you use it the same way you would Sea Foam and it gives the same results. Blows smoke out for a few minutes then all is well.

2008 JK X 2DR NSG370

Time to build the TONS!

Long Island Off Road Club

NOVA4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester116th View Post
Confucius say "If you no want break axle, Drive with BIG head not LITTLE head"
post #12 of 12 Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Yep, that's the part number. I saw that write up as well... the one I was trying to find again actually had a service bulletin on the 3.8 and carbon build up (side effect was oil consumption)... I've read a few places that the MOPAR CCC is better than Seafoam... I have had used seafoam on all my 2-cycle boats.

I still can't find that link to the service-tech write up. It was interesting. I also run 5w30.... I wonder if my oil consumption would return if I switched to the OEM 5w20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode