LED differences - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
LED differences

Understanding that some of the vendors on here offer the various brands of LED lights; which seem to offer the better bang for the buck?
Mostly looking at Vision X, Rigid or Procomp.
I also heard rumor that Vision X makes procomps is this true? What is the difference if anything?

Has anyone on here seen in person what the companies offer in what would be something similar to each other? I.E 6 leds versus 6 or 9 versus 9? what were the pros and cons?

I did a search on this and everything I have seen dates a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 01:19 PM
Rock God

Garage

im interested in this topic as well ! Wish I could help but hopefully someone chimes in!

My build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have a 10" SR Spectrum Rigid on the front of my jeep and its bright as hell.....Andre has the Vision X on his and it was bright as well. Im not for sure on the size of his but i would say both were comparable to each other as far as light output

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 01:41 PM
JKowners Vendor

We've got Jeeps here with both Vision X and Rigid. Used them both off road - love them both. Each has benefits. Yes, Procomp's lights are a private label by another company.

I could break down efficiency vs. cost vs. output on everyone's lines, but hopefully you can save me some typing.

Tell me about what you want the light for, where you'd mount it, your off road driving style, and if you plan on running multiple lights or not.

Cheers,
Bond
post #5 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL OFFROAD View Post
We've got Jeeps here with both Vision X and Rigid. Used them both off road - love them both. Each has benefits. Yes, Procomp's lights are a private label by another company.

I could break down efficiency vs. cost vs. output on everyone's lines, but hopefully you can save me some typing.

Tell me about what you want the light for, where you'd mount it, your off road driving style, and if you plan on running multiple lights or not.

Cheers,
Bond
HI Bond,
I will just give you a call after work if that is ok... I need something on the front bumper that gives distance and a wide pattern. Not for racing. I will also need maybe 2 D2 kind of lights one for each side of jeep. Facing out driver then one passenger. Looking for something that will be good for searching the sides of roads at night and provide a wide angle of visibility with as much distance as possible.
I have asked this question before but seem to get a mixed response depending on mounting location. Thinking either windshield mount or bumper. If it impacts viewing out of the windshield then I do not want to mount them high.
As for off roading I do not want to mount above the windshield due to narrow trails and low hanging trees. Everything is generally wooded and low speed.
post #6 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Rock God

Garage

I think Rigid is a winner. Got my dually's for $189 a pair at 4wd with the free pick up in store option.

For what you describe the need for, I think the Rigid Dually or D2 in SPOT pattern. It has decent distance and spreads the beam out. It is not real long range but puts out damn good light where ever it is pointed.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
post #7 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 02:44 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Yep, I'm in agreement on the Rigid's, they seem pricey until you turn them on for the first time. That 1300 lumens is no joke. I can't even imagine the D2's with the 5th and 6th LED... Vision X makes a comparable product, but, the Rigid's just scream rugged. I also picked up one of these today for a rear auxiliary.

http://www.blazer-international.com/..._Lights/CWL503

Die cast aluminum, rugged, 120 degree flood with 500 lumens of light. Not as nice as the Rigid but great for a reverse trail light since the factory reverse lights blow for off road illumination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #8 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

For some reason I seem to think the vision x is just as expensive if not more? Am i wrong? I never really priced them.

Chris, that blazer is a nice lamp. Good idea on the reverse light. How much do they set you back?

-Dan

post #9 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 03:10 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Dan,

60 bucks. Believe it or not, it was a bitch to find too. I couldn't find anyone online who had it for sale, and found one Vatozone that had it in stock which was the one on 51st and Baseline. So, that would be the place I would go. I was going to do this one, until I found the one at For 60 bucks you can't beat that price.

http://www.amazon.com/Vision-XIL-UF3...8367234&sr=8-1

This one is really nice, but at three times the cost. Then again, it has three times the number of lumens.

http://www.amazon.com/Vision-XIL-UM4...8367234&sr=8-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #10 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

Hm, might do that. I got that rotopax mount plate that Desert Snake was shilling away for and, if I remember, they also have a bracket for a rearward facing light.

-Dan

post #11 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Sounds like I might have found a solution, thanks to Rebel Offroad... Apparently you can get some of the LED's in a split mode. I.E half flood half spot which seems to be a good idea. Anyone running something like this?
post #12 of 31 Old 10-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Owner: TWF

While rigid sells the cheaper bar, vision x sells the highest output bar

The end

TWF Double Beadlock wheels, Pitbull Tires Vendor, Raceline Wheels Vendor, Marsh Racing Wheels Vendor, Poison Spyder Vendor, Custom Splice Winch Rope Vendor, Cheap LED Light Bars
post #13 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 08:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

On the lower dollar scale I would defiantly go with Rigid. The Dually's and Dually D2's, Vision X I don't think has anything to compare. I've got the Dually D2's on the windshield and some Vision X S4100 on my bumper. Both have great light output.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #14 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 08:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Understanding that some of the vendors on here offer the various brands of LED lights; which seem to offer the better bang for the buck?
Mostly looking at Vision X, Rigid or Procomp.
I also heard rumor that Vision X makes procomps is this true? What is the difference if anything?

Has anyone on here seen in person what the companies offer in what would be something similar to each other? I.E 6 leds versus 6 or 9 versus 9? what were the pros and cons?

I did a search on this and everything I have seen dates a few years.
There are a couple of companies working on breaking into the market.

There is one thing that seems to have Rigid standing out of the crowd and that is their efficencey at 94%+ they make the LED's to beat right now.

I run Rigid Dually's, 10in SR, and 50 in SR light bar and get compliments on them all the time for their great light output.

post #15 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Banned

I will soon be testing out a set of Rigid Duallys courtesy of JustJeepGear.com - Thanks Chris!!

I have some old KC hilites on my A pillars, so I'm thinkin the difference is gonna be like night and day (yes, that pun was fully intentional, ).

post #16 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 08:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Which one was beating their housing with a 2x4 to show its strength again?
post #17 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
Which one was beating their housing with a 2x4 to show its strength again?
Rigid did that - plus they shot their LED bar with a rifle.

Rigid Industries E-series ballistic testing - YouTube
post #18 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Can't tell you what brand is the best performance-wise. But I can tell you that the Rigids take a beating and their customer service is the best.

I had a tree limb smack my windshield mounted dually, deflect off of it and shatter my windshield and dent the windshield frame. The Dually didn't even have a scratch. I have also accidentally ran my bumper-mounted 10" bar into rocks with no damage.

Ohh, and my 10" light bar has been underwater while in use and was unaffected.

Last edited by desert dog; 10-12-2011 at 10:12 AM.
post #19 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
I will soon be testing out a set of Rigid Duallys courtesy of JustJeepGear.com - Thanks Chris!!

I have some old KC hilites on my A pillars, so I'm thinkin the difference is gonna be like night and day (yes, that pun was fully intentional, ).
It will be, the difference is pretty incredible. Not only the increased light intensity, but also the white light makes a huge difference as well.

I think this thing is finally coming together. Still Needed: drive shafts, frame mount rails...then done son! For a while...
post #20 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 11:17 AM
Rock God

ive been looking for some of those low-profile led light-bars for a while. i saw one that went up over the windshield that was sweet but super expensive. id like to get a few to replace my round hellas - but i dont see any that are under hundreds of bucks.

O||||O
post #21 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM
JKO Addict!

None. Lighting has to be one of the most expensive/least usefull mods you can get. Unless you wheel a lot at night, then I dont understand why people go out and spend thosands of dollars on lights. Then go out and have it get ripped off/ smashed by a tree branch. Its insane to me. River raider has an LED headlight conversion that is 1000 dollars. 1000 dollars. Wow, sounds like a great way to spend your money, NOT!

Some do look cool, but otherwise, I would spend my money on a whole host of other things before lights.

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #22 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
None. Lighting has to be one of the most expensive/least usefull mods you can get. Unless you wheel a lot at night, then I dont understand why people go out and spend thosands of dollars on lights. Then go out and have it get ripped off/ smashed by a tree branch. Its insane to me. River raider has an LED headlight conversion that is 1000 dollars. 1000 dollars. Wow, sounds like a great way to spend your money, NOT!

Some do look cool, but otherwise, I would spend my money on a whole host of other things before lights.
True from a "want vs needs" standpoint. Gears, lockers, lift, tires, spare parts, recovery gear, etc are more important. I can't speak for the folks in NY, but here in Cali night runs are very popular; my club does one a month (even in the snow). Also, running in the dunes at night with only headlights is downright dangerous.

The LED set-ups are far more durable than you think. The tree branch in your example would probably not damage a rigid LED.
post #23 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
... here in Cali night runs are very popular; my club does one a month (even in the snow). Also, running in the dunes at night with only headlights is downright dangerous.
Agreed - nights runs are part of life out West.
post #24 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 03:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

We go on night runs a lot too. Especially in Arizona summers when day runs can be suicide.

-Dan

post #25 of 31 Old 10-12-2011, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post

since I am with a search and rescue team and enjoy night wheeling lights are more important to me versus other mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode