AEV 3.5" DualSport SC lift kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 170 Old 10-11-2011, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

AEV 3.5" DualSport SC lift kit

So I bought and installed the AEV 3.5" DualSport SC Suspension System with Bilstein Shocks on my 4 door JK this past weekend.. I just had to write a post Raving about this kit. I have put MANY lifts on all different makes, XJ's, YJ's, and TJ's and this AEV kit is BY FAR the nicest most complete kit I have ever dealt with. Everything went on with out a hitch and the jeep looks and rides Amazing. Haven't had a chance to wheel it yet but I am assuming it is going to work well offroad too. Should be headed to Rausch Creek in the next couple weeks.

If you are on the fence about shelling out money for an AEV kit.... My opnion is DO IT!! You will love it.

I will post pictures tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 170 Old 10-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

First... Pics!

And I love my AEV kit..
post #3 of 170 Old 10-11-2011, 09:11 PM
JPK
Rock God

Love my AEV suspension too!

Pics!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 170 Old 10-12-2011, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

not the best pictures, it was raining this morning but i tried to get a comparison of before and after.. Now it is actually starting to look like a jeep!
Attached Images

post #5 of 170 Old 10-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Looks great!

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #6 of 170 Old 10-12-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goondock View Post
not the best pictures, it was raining this morning but i tried to get a comparison of before and after.. Now it is actually starting to look like a jeep!
Looks good
post #7 of 170 Old 10-12-2011, 10:36 AM
JKowners Vendor

Looks good! We just picked up AEV and cant wait to get some out there. We feel they are right up there with some of the other big names in the lift competition...

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #8 of 170 Old 10-12-2011, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks! now I have got to get it dirty!
post #9 of 170 Old 10-12-2011, 01:05 PM
JPK
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrawlOff-Road.com View Post
Looks good! We just picked up AEV and cant wait to get some out there. We feel they are right up there with some of the other big names in the lift competition...

-Jason
Actually, their engineering is a league beyond anyone elses.

JPK
post #10 of 170 Old 10-12-2011, 01:10 PM
JKO Addict!

*sigh*

31 jeeps in... still have issues
post #11 of 170 Old 10-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Granite Guru

I have the 4.5in Premium:

Don't give me no shit about the watermark, I forgot it was on there.
Attached Images

Last edited by jester116th; 10-12-2011 at 02:39 PM.
post #12 of 170 Old 10-12-2011, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

4.5 nice too! I thought about that but, I sold my scrambler and my truck and just have this as my daily driver so I figured I better not go to crazy.
post #13 of 170 Old 10-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

This really sounds good, because I've been thinking about saving some extra money for the AEV lift. I really can't find anyone that has anything bad to say about them.
post #14 of 170 Old 10-13-2011, 05:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popojk View Post
This really sounds good, because I've been thinking about saving some extra money for the AEV lift. I really can't find anyone that has anything bad to say about them.
Other than if you ever want to get into anything a kittle hard ore you'll quickly find the limits of the components in the kit. And basically you're throwing all the parts in the kit away when you'll eventually want to upgrade to stronger components.

It'll get you down a mild trail or to the mall but that's where id stop. If you get into any rocks you'll find the limits and weak links pretty quick.

post #15 of 170 Old 10-13-2011, 05:46 AM
Granite Guru

I got my 3.5 lift installed this weekend.

It's hard to explain how well these handle on the road. I had to let my installer drive it....it handles like a sports car. We were ripping around roundabouts at 60, no body roll. Hit a bumpy road with frost heaves at full speed, perfect control. And with control arm brackets, the nose dive under hard breaking is minimal.

You jump in a lifted jeep, once you're on the road, it doesn't feel like driving a lifted jeep....it's kinda unbelievable.

I'm pretty thrilled with the aev.

I went with different shocks than what comes with the kit...FOA's.

Just messing with jacks in the driveway...the droop and travel I'm getting looks impressive.

Gonna go wheeling this weekend, can't wait to test it out.

The engineering that goes into aev is impressive. I don't think anyone else is anywhere close....I'm sure others will correct me on that.

I wanted the best handling lift, researched the heck out it and I'm pretty sure I made the right choice.

Sent from above, using Michael Landon.
post #16 of 170 Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
Other than if you ever want to get into anything a kittle hard ore you'll quickly find the limits of the components in the kit. And basically you're throwing all the parts in the kit away when you'll eventually want to upgrade to stronger components.

It'll get you down a mild trail or to the mall but that's where id stop. If you get into any rocks you'll find the limits and weak links pretty quick.
I was wondering what the *sigh* comment above was... now I know.. I am assuming you have had a bad experience with AEV stuff.? But to say that it it will get you down a mild trail or the mall?? I would say even with out having tested the kit offroad yet that those words are a bit un true. I guarantee i will get through trails that are much more aggressive than a "mild trail or a mall parking lot" Are you implying that I am driving a mall crawler? Thems sound like fightin words! I guess that is what forums are for, anyone can say whatever they want. I am not doubting that components can be broken or that you don't know what you are talking about. I saw your signature and it seems like you know your stuff. I am only responding because your Mall crawler/ mild trail comments seem to be a bit exaggerated.

and 12xu I was also pleasantly surprised as to the on road handling

Last edited by goondock; 10-13-2011 at 07:37 AM.
post #17 of 170 Old 10-13-2011, 08:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I was wondering what the *sigh* comment above was... now I know.. I am assuming you have had a bad experience with AEV stuff.? But to say that it it will get you down a mild trail or the mall?? I would say even with out having tested the kit offroad yet that those words are a bit un true. I guarantee i will get through trails that are much more aggressive than a "mild trail or a mall parking lot" Are you implying that I am driving a mall crawler? Thems sound like fightin words! I guess that is what forums are for, anyone can say whatever they want. I am not doubting that components can be broken or that you don't know what you are talking about. I saw your signature and it seems like you know your stuff. I am only responding because your Mall crawler/ mild trail comments seem to be a bit exaggerated.
the sigh was at JPK. Because he drank at least a gallon of the Kool Aid.

I've stated this opinion over and over in these threads so i'll try to be brief in this one. Every time someone brings up this kit and i mention the shortcomings of it, the response is "well that's not what that kit was designed for". The concensus is that it was really built for trail riding and road use mostly. That rock crawling or hard wheeling really wasn't in the scope of the kit.

My BIGGEST issue is the way the kit is designed. If that's as big as you'll ever want to go, and all you're ever going to do is mild trails and street (which is what most of the jeep owners do anyway) then it's 100% fine.

HOWEVER, if there's ANY possibility that you'll want to get more into the sport and keep upgrading... Then it's not a good kit. Basically, when you start getting into tougher wheeling, other than the springs and shocks, everything else in the kit eventually gets thrown away (not that it comes with that much stuff to begin with).

Also, the components that come in the kit really aren't very stout. The rear tracbar that comes with the kit is a stock trac bar that has had a bend added to it, the overpriced steering upgrade is just a RHD drag link that costs 45 bucks online (but they charge 300 for the kit), When we were building jeepnick's hydro mount i was able to bend the front trac bar bracket with my bare hand, the LCA mounts are a good bandaid but eventually you'll want real control arms, no disconnects for non rubi models (front links go to rear and you get new rear links... whoopdie doo), the "aev tuned" Bilsteins are overpriced when you smash them (normal bilsteins are 75 bucks each from most vendors, "AEV TUNED" are 135... ya no thanks), the rear dual rate springs ride ok, but are REALLY difficult to add spring retainers for when you want to do shock relocators like evo rockstars or the poly ones, etc.

I hope it does work out for you. But whenever this subject comes up i always recommend a kit you can build off of. When i built the 2 door jk (i've had both) i started with a 2.5 stock mod from RK and i ran the AEV brackets up front. They were an ok bandaid for a little while. When i upgraded the control arms and pulled the brackets though, WOW what a difference. Everything tightened up, bumps felt better, it felt more direct. Also, my alignment shop was able to PRECISELY dial in the perfect amount of castor and cross castor for correct handling. this was something that couldn't be done with the AEV brackets. Also, my front end lift was MUCH less without the brackets. I never took the time to figure out if it was lift up front or squat in the back, but it went away with the new setup.

I added coilovers and longer brake lines as well. And in the end i didn't have to throw ANYTHING away. i sold my front shocks and springs but i didn't buy anything i ended up throwing in the trash...

On the other hand... most AEV suspension owners that i have spoken to (or know) end up ditching most if not all of the kit once they get more into tougher wheeling. Which really doesn't take long considering how little you really get in the kit.

the things i do like:
Procal is nice (and will be necessary for '12's who regear)

If the kit wasn't so much money i wouldn't care so much. Or if i didn't always have to hear JPK going on and on about the fucking engineering. All they did was get the roll center right and drop the LCA's (something XJ owners have been doing for decades). It's really not that impressive.

Anyway, that's my rant... so much for it being short. Good luck with your jeep and hopefully it serves you well.

post #18 of 170 Old 10-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Rock God

Garage

Well said Ryan
Ive had this kit and grew out of it and removed every part because not one of them could be reused on my current set up, I learned alot with the kit but to do it again I would've chosen a different route and save some $$

95 Hemi YJ on Treps with a ton of cool custom work

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
post #19 of 170 Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Looks great...what size tires you running...

Grant
post #20 of 170 Old 10-13-2011, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_T View Post
Looks great...what size tires you running...

Grant

Thanks, They are 315/70R17's basically 35X12.5's
post #21 of 170 Old 10-13-2011, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Very vaild points 2k2wranglerx.. this kit is exactly what i want for now that is what i was saying it is a DD that gets wheels on weekends. Once it is paid off then i can take the time and money to take it to the next level

I felt obligated to comment because of the mild trail and mall crawling comments. This is my 7 th jeep and I just sold a Spring over scrambler with 360 v8 d44 front d60 rear locked T18 and D300 on some 37's So i think my ego got the best of me when I heard the mall crawler comment ha ha ha

This kit suits me well for now and it will for a while.
post #22 of 170 Old 10-13-2011, 10:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
This kit suits me well for now and it will for a while.
that's all that matters.

But to hear JPK talk you'd think it gave you a hand job while you drove down the road. and not just any hand job, the "perfectily engineered" hand job.

post #23 of 170 Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Wheeler

Great thread. I was going to start one myself asking what the best lift will be for ride quality for a mall crawling DD on 37's these days. Sounds like this may be the one.
post #24 of 170 Old 10-13-2011, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

There is that effing term again!!!! NOT A MALL CRAWING KIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love forums.......
post #25 of 170 Old 10-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
There is that effing term again!!!! NOT A MALL CRAWING KIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love forums.......
I have the 4.5" AEV premium on our 2nd 4 Dr Rubi.

It handles great on the road.

I used it this summer on a 3k mile long trip of wheeling and camping, pulling a camper trailer. It did great.

However, I'm pulling it off to install Currie arms, OME long travel shocks, Teraflex trackbars, long brakelines, and Clayton 3.5" springs because I want softer springs with components for longer suspension travel for offroading.

The AEV kit is designed for street and expedition type driving. It is not a preferred setup for rock crawling.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode