Paint/washing/sanding question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Paint/washing/sanding question

Ok, so my Jeep has some kind of crap all over it that won't come off very easily. Tried to wash it yesterday, but even with ample doses of elbow grease it's still holding. That being said, some spots are coming off, but it's very, very stubborn (kinda like a woman). Anyway, what is the preferred method of getting stuff off the paint w/o ruining the finish? I'm not sure what it is, I'm assuming it's "debris" (for lack of a better word) that was washed on and dried after the hurricane (no, I haven't washed it since I got back from Iraq).

So, I'd contemplated trying to lightly wet sand it to see if that'll bring it off. Would steel wool work?

I'm not a detailer by any means. Who around here knows about this stuff?

Anyone local?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 04:03 PM
cgm
Wheeler

did you try some bug and tar remover? can you feel the "spot", or does it seem to be etched into the clear coat? if you can feel it, then it is a matter of findieng the right solvent to dissolve the mess without ruining the clear. i typically start with dawn detergent and then goe to the bug and tar next. i have never tired it, but supposedly clay bar works well to clean off the crap form your finish. http://www.meguiars.com/estore/produ...ectionID=11201
post #3 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I can definitely feel the spots. It's not one spot, but many, many little spots all over it. I'll try to remember to pick up some bug and tar remover or a clay bar.

Any other ideas?

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Wheeler

that clay bar should work ive heard of ppl using that to like sap off and stuff but if you it dont i would go and buy some really really fine water sanding paper like 3000 or 4000 and real lightly sand it but if you start with 3000 u have to use 4000 after then buff it back out. be careful not to burn thru the paint though cause then youll be payin to get it painted again!
post #5 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 07:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If clay bar or bug n tar remover does not work get a heavy duty compound, there should be NO reason you need to sand these spots off. If you are that unsure of doing it bring it to a detail shop and ask them. If you sand it then buff it you are going to be removing clear that you should not be removing for spots that are on the surface of the clear and not in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #6 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 08:26 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sounds like damage from acid rain. Get a clay bar, follow the instructions and you won't have any issues. Wet sanding is a last resort. About ten years ago I had a high end detailing business and I can safely say I never had to wet sand a car. Every single time I was able to clay the car then follow up with a cleaner and polish to get the paint looking like glass again.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣
post #7 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 08:47 PM
Rock God

Garage

www.chemicalguys.com will have what u need. My brother was a car detailer for a few years and used this stuff called Red Hot but apparently chemical guys has a better product. I cant remember the name but im sure if u give them a ring they can tell u.

Need advice or parts without all the bs. Call Marcus at River City Offroad
"Things are starting to come, what I like to call, together."
"Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it."
post #8 of 17 Old 10-10-2011, 09:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmech777 View Post
www.chemicalguys.com will have what u need. My brother was a car detailer for a few years and used this stuff called Red Hot but apparently chemical guys has a better product. I cant remember the name but im sure if u give them a ring they can tell u.
The only Red Hot I'm familiar with is a AP Cleaner/Degreaser. And the stuff you might be thinking of from the Chemical Guys is the Paint Correction Polish system. I'd still suggest he start with a clay bar then move to a polish and wax. A clay bar actually doesn't even touch your paint. You use a spray on lubricant to help the bar glide across the paint, removing any contaminants. You can also clay your windshield to help water bead up and slide of the windshield, kind of like Rain-X but without the residue.

☠ ☠ Don't let fear and common sense stop ya. ☣ ☣

Last edited by HOOLIGAN; 10-10-2011 at 09:19 PM.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmech777 View Post
I get all my stuff from Chemical Guys... it's great stuff.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #10 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 07:43 AM
JKO Addict!

I have concluded I have speckles of tar all over my WHITE Jeep. It sucks!

I've clay bared the hood, and it took quite a bit of effort....but eventually worked. I am going to pickup some bug/tar remover and try that first. If that doesn't work, I basically have an entire afternoon of heavy clay barring to do.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #11 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yeah, the dude at Auto Zone looked at it and said it looked like tar to him. Got some stuff to try, then I'll move on to the clay bar.

Quote:

post #12 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

Clay bar works great! I clay bar mine about every 6 months, polish, and wax it. Clay bar takes pretty much everything off, and makes the paint super smooth.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #13 of 17 Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Clay bar FTW! I have one and it works awesome! Got some fine mist overspray from touching up the bed liner on my plate steel stubby caps. That bar smoothed my paint right out with no issues. Even Meguiars cleaner/wax wouldn't remove that overspray. 3M rubbing compound would have and left swirls too. Clay bar just left a smooth, shiny surface.

Pro Tip: Depending on the type of bar you get, save a pickle jar or some other small container and keep it submerged in water. I've had the same bar for 5 years and the one before that for another 6. Keep em moist and they last a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.

Last edited by JKCTAZ; 10-11-2011 at 10:17 PM.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-12-2011, 03:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Yeah, the dude at Auto Zone looked at it and said it looked like tar to him. Got some stuff to try, then I'll move on to the clay bar.
If it is tar diesel fuel will get it right out.. put some diesel on a rag and dab at it.

EX-Jersey
Crew

Find us at www.disconnectedoffroad.com

Last edited by dumptruckRich; 10-12-2011 at 03:58 AM.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-12-2011, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Thanks, Rich. I never thought of that.

See, that's one more reason why I NEED the 4BT.

Quote:

post #16 of 17 Old 10-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
I get all my stuff from Chemical Guys... it's great stuff.
Prices arent too bad either

post #17 of 17 Old 10-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIGAN View Post
The only Red Hot I'm familiar with is a AP Cleaner/Degreaser. And the stuff you might be thinking of from the Chemical Guys is the Paint Correction Polish system. I'd still suggest he start with a clay bar then move to a polish and wax. A clay bar actually doesn't even touch your paint. You use a spray on lubricant to help the bar glide across the paint, removing any contaminants. You can also clay your windshield to help water bead up and slide of the windshield, kind of like Rain-X but without the residue.
I never knew u could clay bar the windshield. Thats cool. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode