beyond pissed... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
beyond pissed...

So i bring my jeep in for warranty work and an oil change this morning... my fogs arent working and my ac line had a hole in it... dlr just calls me and says opk we are fixing the ac line but your fog light bulbs need to be changed and that is $180... i said f no and ill just change my bumper out... he says ok thats fine and it is a $70 diag fee..... they never said anything about a diag when i dropped it off..... this is insanity!!!!!!!!!!!! i am so pissed right now!isse d:

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
D60 Front 99-04 Ford ARB w/ 5.38
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

So they're billing you $70 to diagnose a problem you didn't have before you arrived and didn't ask them to look into?

EDIT:
Wait, did you bring it in BECAUSE the fogs weren't working? Because if ya did, you owe em the diagnostic fee. Though I agree it's total BS they charge 110 to change out a lightbulb, if you asked them to diagnose the problem, you owe them for the labor costs they took on to ID the issue.

Last edited by Dancin Dan; 10-10-2011 at 03:22 PM.
post #3 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 03:23 PM
Rock God

Garage

Dealer's are crooks and beyond incompetent. What kind of service techs do they hire and how do they say some of the stuff they do with a straight face. I am sure that when they hire service techs right out of mechanic school they go through a dealer sponsored de-education academy.

Seems like you take it in for service and they F something up that was completely unrelated to what it was there for in the first place.

-Dan

2008 JK X: Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Rock God

Did you sign a form that says if the estimate is over x amount call?

Sent via Pony Express

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #5 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 03:24 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

are you past the factory warranty...under factory warranty there isn't a diagnostic fee but once you hit the extended warranty plan there is a $70 fee if the dealership you bought with went with "another" warranty plan and not Chrysler warranty plan. A lot of dealerships are going to "other" warranty providers due to kickbacks/cheaper prices that also yield them the diagnostic fees and doesn't necessarily cover all repairs which generates them more service income. At least that is my perception of the game.

U.S. Army
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 03:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
JKUnlimitedSport_2010

he says ok thats fine and it is a $70 diag fee..... they never said anything about a diag when i dropped it off.....
I have had that run up my ass one time at a dealership. I haven't been back for even a recall since. Fuck em !

The Project is moving forward.
post #7 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

sorry about the caps... at work i type in all caps for documentation purposes and i am took aggravated to retype.....

WELL I WENT IN AND SAID DO THE OIL, A/C LINE AND FOG LIGHTS... THEY SAID THE AC LINE IS COVERED BUT THEY TRACED THE FOG LIGHTS AND FOUND WATER AND MUD IN THEM AND IT IS EITHER $180 TO CHANGE THE FOGS OR A $70 DIAG IF I DONT WANT IT BECAUSE THE BULBS ARE A MAINT ITEM AND THE WATER AND MUD...

-Marc
2010 JKU -- 3.5" RE Lift -- EVO LCAs -- ARTEC Truss and TB mount -- 17" Procomp 7069 -- 37" Maxxis Treps -- Heated Trucklite Headlights -- Synergy Drag flip -- Synergy TR -- Synergy bj's-- EVO 1/4 Pounder -- EVO Tire Carrier -- 4 gal rotopax -- TF Third Row -- China AEV Snorkel

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #8 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 03:49 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKUnlimitedSport_2010 View Post
THEY TRACED THE FOG LIGHTS AND FOUND WATER AND MUD IN THEM AND IT IS EITHER $180 TO CHANGE THE FOGS OR A $70 DIAG IF I DONT WANT IT BECAUSE THE BULBS ARE A MAINT ITEM AND THE WATER AND MUD...

Every time i ever took mine into the dealer for warranty work, they had me sign the quote that listed the diag fee. If it turned out to be warranty work it was waived, but if it wasn't under warranty I had to pay.

In other words you caused the problem, it's not under warranty but to them it looks like you tried to get them figure out the problem so you wouldnt have to. (which i know is not the case) but they have to cover their costs

You have no option but to pay it
post #9 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

ugh.... this sucks...... $70 that could go to a new bumper.... or to my bedliner material.... if i knew this i wouldve not brought it in.....

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #10 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

So you expected the tech to look at the mud in your fog lights for free? You do know that the tech does not get paid by the hour? He gets paid by the job, so if they don't charge you to look at the mud in your fog lights he does not get paid for his time. I don't really understand what the problem is. If you could have fixed it yourself you would not have to go into the dealer and have them fix it for you. Please explain what your upset about.

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
1 ton Offset TRE's with 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Tie Rod
1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Draglink with 7/8" hiem's
Adam's Front Driveshaft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

And we are not all crooks.

2007 unlimited X
rough country 4" lift
18" KMC Rockstars
superchips flashpaq
1 ton Offset TRE's with 1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Tie Rod
1.5" X .25" wall DOM tubing Draglink with 7/8" hiem's
Adam's Front Driveshaft

post #12 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomdawg View Post
So you expected the tech to look at the mud in your fog lights for free? You do know that the tech does not get paid by the hour? He gets paid by the job, so if they don't charge you to look at the mud in your fog lights he does not get paid for his time. I don't really understand what the problem is. If you could have fixed it yourself you would not have to go into the dealer and have them fix it for you. Please explain what your upset about.
honestly it caught me off guard... bought three veh's there... get EVERYTHING done there and they know me there... i dont know... they usually are up front with me about everything and when he came back like this i wouldve thought different.. i thought it mightve been something electrical and didnt know that water and mud could get into fog lights... but who am i to judge... im good now and will deal with it accordingly, but i bring my veh's to the dlr because i would at a call center for another manufacturer and i know that bringing it to the dlr is a good thing if you ever need help OR just to keep it maintained by factory trained people.

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #13 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Granite Guru

if you are going to pay the $70 just have them change the bulb and pay the $180 each bulb is like $50 the 2010 came with different light bulbs unlike the 2007-2009 I have been throw two of them so far and the guys at the dealer sale them to be for %10 over cost it comes out at $38

the bulb part number is PSX24W

Last edited by adaygeorge; 10-10-2011 at 04:52 PM.
post #14 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Granite Guru

I have a 2010 as well. What's so special about the bulbs that they are $50 each?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

BAREFOOT. The "REAL" way to drive a Jeep!!

*******KEEP CALM & CHIVE ON!!!*******
post #15 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by woomdawg View Post
Come on man. It took him less then a tenth to to reach around the bumper and pop out the fog bulbs. If he was any good he could have done it while he was putting oil back in the jeep.

Yea flat rate sucks, but you don't have to rape people to make a living. I toss in bulbs, wipers and plug tires all the time for free. It only takes a couple seconds and it makes a customer happy.
post #16 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Granite Guru

$70 you got off cheap, they charge an hour of labor just to plug the diag computer in, and an hour labor here is $98.

Todd
First Jeep the govt hasn't owned.
post #17 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
Come on man. It took him less then a tenth to to reach around the bumper and pop out the fog bulbs. If he was any good he could have done it while he was putting oil back in the jeep.

Yea flat rate sucks, but you don't have to rape people to make a living. I toss in bulbs, wipers and plug tires all the time for free. It only takes a couple seconds and it makes a customer happy.
I agree, taking 20 seconds to see some water in foglights is NOT worth $70. That's where they are screwing people over. Fuck man, this is why people hate dealerships, because they'd rather rape them in any way they can.

The tech/service manager could've said, "By the way, you got some water in there, took about 30 seconds for me to see, so no charge. We'll replace them for you if you want at $$ amount."

-Brett
---------------------------------------------
My Jeep: 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 6-Spd Manual, Cosmos Blue
"The Smurf":

Previous Jeeps:

post #18 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 05:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post

It's in the owners manual how to replace bulbs isn't it? So why didn't the owner go ahead and do it himself....obviously it is not that hard. I don't agree with doing stuff for free.

When I was a flat-rate tech at BMW, the dealer would pay me to make the customer happy, or it doesn't get done...I am here to get paid for my time. Once you figure out you get tired of being taken advantage of as the dealership rakes in the money that you are earning for them and not seeing any of...you'll quit working for free. I can sit on my ass and not need $15,000 in tools to work for free. Maybe it was just the situation at my dealership, maybe it was just the time-wasting bullshit BMW owners complain about, but at some point you get tired of it.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #19 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Spartan View Post
I have a 2010 as well. What's so special about the bulbs that they are $50 each?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
http://autonews.gasgoo.com/executive...u-090626.shtml

Quote:
This can be realized on redesigning our existing products that are already very successful in the market. For example we already have a mature signaling bulbs products with more than 60 years history, but we are today bringing a new HiPerVision bulb series to the market, which uses the TV CRT(Cathode Ray Tube) sealing technology and Halogen bulb filament technology. The HiPerVision bulb has a lifetime of 8000 hours, and consumes less energy. HiPerVision PSX24W bulb can be used to replace 55W H3 bulb.
post #20 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 05:49 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
It's in the owners manual how to replace bulbs isn't it? So why didn't the owner go ahead and do it himself....obviously it is not that hard. I don't agree with doing stuff for free.

When I was a flat-rate tech at BMW, the dealer would pay me to make the customer happy, or it doesn't get done...I am here to get paid for my time. Once you figure out you get tired of being taken advantage of as the dealership rakes in the money that you are earning for them and not seeing any of...you'll quit working for free. I can sit on my ass and not need $15,000 in tools to work for free. Maybe it was just the situation at my dealership, maybe it was just the time-wasting bullshit BMW owners complain about, but at some point you get tired of it.
I've been at a rover dealer for going on 9 years. I still take pride in my work and don't mind taking a little time to help people out with little stuff. I'm also probably the only guy in the shop that would rather be tracking down electrical problems then hanging brakes and doing services.

Too many techs get greedy and either their quality of work goes down or they start ripping people off. All that does is drive customers away. Anywhere you work is going to rake in money from what you do. If all they were doing was breaking even after paying you they wouldn't be in business very long.
post #21 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

If you hop on ebay you can get the phillips psx24w foglight bulbs for 17.99 shipped.
post #22 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i am going to see what he says about the outcome... i think i might just have them replace them.... sorry about the rant on the first post and the more and more i read it i feel even worse.... crazy day at work today haha... i think the best thing to do is have them replace them!

-Marc

Coming up:
14 Bolt rear ARB w/ 5.38
EVO Long Arm
40/42” MTR's
17" Spyderlock Beadlocks
post #23 of 77 Old 10-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Vin
Granite Guru

I found a pair of foglight housings on Ebay from a 2007 JK and changed out the whole thing. I may change them again and put yellow lenses in.
post #24 of 77 Old 10-11-2011, 03:16 AM
Granite Guru

The only thing special about the bulbs is they aren't available via aftermarket, yet. It is some new type or size only currently available through dealerships. I would think they're available at Vatozone or the like eventually... Meanwhile, it seems cheaper to replace the whole light to earlier model year lights that use standard, readily-available replacement bulbs. I was going to replace the bulbs in mine with amber fog, and not a single store carries ANY color, and then I learned how much the stealerships charged for the replacement bulbs! So I vowed to use as is until they burn out and then stick in complete replacement lights. I didn't want to use the exterior film cover, but I'm reconsidering that, too.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
post #25 of 77 Old 10-11-2011, 04:05 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKUnlimitedSport_2010 View Post
i am going to see what he says about the outcome... i think i might just have them replace them.... sorry about the rant on the first post and the more and more i read it i feel even worse.... crazy day at work today haha... i think the best thing to do is have them replace them!
Yea I think a lot of time, things just catch us off guard and we vent. Been there, done that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode