Been debating - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Been debating

Hey all,

So been trying to gather as much info on what people mod out first, and from what i can tell its just a matter of preference.

So with that being said, and the fact that this is going to be a budget/ over long time period type build, what would you recommend doing first, as it will be a DD also.
Do feel like i should mention i dont own my jku just yet, but will here shortly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 11:56 AM
Research, bro!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKcowboy View Post
...from what i can tell its just a matter of preference.
^Yup!

Congrats on the upcoming addition!

So, It's going to be you DD and you are going to build slowly on a budget, but it might help us out a bit better to know what JK version and what are your "goals" for your JKU -- Rock or mall crawler? What type of terrain will it mostly see? Etc.

Immediate, noticable satisation, is a lift and bigger tires. Personally, I went the armor, recovery route first. (Bumpers, wiinch, sliders, recovery gear).

"Are you gonna bark all day, little doggy, or are you gonna bite?" - Mr. Blonde
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

A proud part of the Cutts!
post #3 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Rock God

I did similar to RRauzer by doing exteriors like bumpers, winch,.... first however if I'd do it again I'd go with suspension lift before exterior since the exterior parts bring the stock suspension quickly to it's knees weight wise.

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Rock God

Under belly skids first to protect the vitals should you decide to go off road. Ensure you have recovery points and recovery straps.

My biggest recommendation, wheel it stock for a while. It gives you a chance to really get to know what it, and you can do and ensure which way you want to head with it. I cannot count the amount of people I have seen jump from stock, just getting into the sport and making major changes and wish they would have done it different. Take your time, enjoy it for what it is, then grow together in time.

After some time, then I would go with suspension to get rid of all of the stock crap underneath and add strength. Once you start this change though, everything changes
post #5 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 12:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Depends very much on your immediate needs and end game.

Assuming some light wheeling while you gradually build to something with a 4" lift and 35s, I'd do it in something like this order.

Basic Skids - Evap skid, front control arm skids, diff covers, gas tank (optional depending on rocks).
Recovery - Basic Recovery kit and hooks.
Lift - Lift kit, shocks wheels (optional if you want to use spacers) and tires - don't skimp the lift you'll regret it down the road
Steering - Tie rod drag link (should be done with the lift but can be done after)
Driveline - drive shafts and gears
Bumpers
Recovery - Winch, Hi-lift etc.
HD Armor and more UCP, you'll know what you want by then.

All the other stuff like lights, grab handles and inexpensive stuff is fun to add in between while you save up for the expensive stuff.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #6 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 12:49 PM
Rock God

My first mods were beefing the frt axle w/sleeves, gussets & skids. Also the rear w/skids. Mods provide a stronger axle while stock & will be needed down the road as you lift & go bigger w/tires. Who doesnt want a stronger axle, anyway? A little money spent here will save you from a very expensive paperweight down the road if you bend the axle.
post #7 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Was leaning more to what sludge puppy was sayin skids then go from there, eventually would like to throw 3" lift and was thinkin 35s gotta keep it reasonable wife is only 5'2"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode