rear end gearing - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

rear end gearing

I have a question regarding rear end gearing. I have a 07 JK X. It's lifted 2'' and I'm running 35'' tires on it and I'm getting about 19.5 in gas mileage (babying it) I'm looking to try to get a bit more torque out of it. It has a hard time pulling anything or going up hills on the highway without dropping a gear. It is a manual but I'm wondering if I can just buy a set of gears for the rear end that will give me some more torque and it will just fit in the factory housing and work with the factory axles? I'm not familiar with gearing so if I'm way off on my idea please let me know. Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Hemo

You can indeed replace your gears (or likely have someone else replace your gears), however, you need to replace them in front & back at the same time. Both axles must be the same.

I have an 08 Rubi Unimited with an automatic. I bought the Jeep in late 09 and discovered that while the original owner had put 35" rubber on it he had not changed the gearing. The Jeep drove fine but lacked any real muscle. I did some homework and ended up changing out the stock gears for 5.13s. BIG IMPROVEMENT. I will also be changing out the tires for 37s or 38s this coming Spring.

2008 Rubi Unltd RR Roll Cage - Limb Risers - Evap Skid - Diff Covers PolyPerf HD Ball Joints Reid Hi Steer Knuckles RK 3.5" Triple Threat PRO Longarm Rebel F & R Coil Overs sPod Mini Shrockworks Rock Sliders - Rear Bumper w/ Tire Swing Xenon Flat Flares ORO Onboard Air BD Dual Battery 5.13 Gears 35" BFG KM2s Warn VR12000 Winch Safari Straps Everything Tuffy Security Drawer
post #3 of 3 Old 10-10-2011, 07:21 AM
JKO Addict!

To use 4x4 both axle ratios need to be the same.

To answer your specific question, yes you can run just a different rear gear ratio. However you MUST NOT use 4x4 or expect severe transfer case problems. Basically remove the front driveshaft to avoid accidental engagement. So being you can run a different ratio, doesnt quite mean you "should".

A superchips running the tow tune on a manual will help slightly for holding a gear longer, still with 87 oct. However not even close to a comparison with a different axle ratio.

Sent via paper airplane

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode