JK Won't Start, Key Issue, etc. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By SoK66
  • 1 Post By 2Door

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-09-2011, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

JK Won't Start, Key Issue, etc.

Ok, tried to search on this and couldn't find a resolution so sorry if this is old news.

Was doing a "lot crawl" this AM through the local Jeep dealer's lot and stopped to look at a vehicle. When I got back in the JK wouldn't start, period. Bright lights, all dash lights on, etc. Thinking it might be the neutral safety switch I tried starting it in neutral, same thing, nothing, no click, no juice going to starter at all. Figured it was something in the modules gone wacky. Naturally, got no tool box with me (left it on garage floor) so I couldn't disconnect / reconnect the battery. Now it gets weird!

I tried to lock the rig with the remote, then use the remote start button...NO! Couldn't lock it, or unlock. Locked it with the key, then tried the remote, no. Unlocked it with the key and the alarm goes off!!!!

Called my neighbor to come get me and bring the spare key. No good with the spare key either. Took me back to the house and before I dug into the FSM I gave it a Google. Came up with a host of gripes, all old, but one guy knew what the issue was and had a workaround:

1) Open fuse box lid
2) Locate big ass dual 60 amp fuse in tan holder, J13. (It sits next to a big ass yellow rectangular deal.)
3) Lift up J13, which disconnects power to the security system.
4) Wait 30 seconds
5) Push down J13
6) Start frickin' PITA JK

I went back and tried the guy's fix. Afterwards the JK started right up. Key & alarm worked fine, etc.

According to the guy who posted this fix static on the key blade jolts the security system, which then goes into lock down and will no longer recognize the key until the system is reset. Pulling J13 powers off the IOD (Ignition Off Draw) system, which after 30 seconds resets when power is restored.

Hope this helps someone with the same issue. Had I not found it (over on that Forum we don't mention, btw) I'd have had to leave it at the dealer and have the monkeys start swapping parts. If anyone knows if this has a fix, please post.

Edit to add that the FSM is, as usual, utterly USELESS on this issue.
Rubicon4x4=16 likes this.

Last edited by SoK66; 10-09-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-10-2011, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Stopped at the dealer today and the tech knew exactly what the issue was. New wireless control processor ordered. Left the dealer, parked the JK for about a half hour. Came back and it would start & run for a few seconds, then quit, exactly as if a non-chipped key was being used. Did the J13 fuse trick again and it started & ran fine rest of the day.

Sure am glad this didn't start happening in our upcoming Hole In The Rock trail run, 50 miles from anywhere inhabited.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Dealer installed a new Wireless Control Module (WCM) thia AM, preflased the keys in the process. All appears to be well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Granite Guru

Great info

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tech Support Contact:
901-382-8888 Phone
901-373-5290 Fax

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-29-2015, 05:46 AM

wonder if the fuse trick will fix mine.. My 2011 rubi will start with the remote start on the key and I can unlock doors get in put key in and drive. Will not start using the key in the ignition. Happened when I did a battery change.... Will have to try that fuse when I get home.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-29-2015, 07:38 AM
Rock God

Garage

This happened to me once. Almost the same situation, tried the spare key, nothing till I pulled that fuse. I try to touch the key to something metal before I stick it in the ignition now. Been working so far.
Rubicon4x4=16 likes this.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode