Head gasket leak 08 JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Head gasket leak 08 JK

I traced my oil leak to the left head gasket. It's seeping from the rear bolt area. I can't get a socket on it to check for tightness. Would appreciate advice. Does anyone know an estimate to have a repair shop change this gasket? The vehicle has less than 32,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Granite Guru

no warranty?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 06:31 PM
JKO Addict!

Whatever you do I wouldn't walk in the door and necessarily say "replace the head gasket". Because if that isn't the real problem, you'll be SOL on the cost.

Certainly sounds like a new problem that hasn't been covered here before. Pictures?

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. Someone told me most head gasket leaks involve water not oil. Is that correct? The seepage seems to begin along the gasket area above where the front and center spark plugs are. It travels toward the rear and takes a long and winding path to the pavement. Usually involves one drop of oil per ride dripping on the ground. I'm the second owner and was told no warranty.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 08:22 PM
JKO Addict!

What year model is it? The warranty, regardless of owner, is 3year (from date of delivery)/36k miles.

Anyway, most head gasket leaks are internal. Loss of compression, ingesting coolant, etc. Pictures if you can would help, but web oil leak diag isn't easy.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Anyway, most head gasket leaks are internal.
That's not always true. Head gaskets and pop on the outside between the cylinder and the outside of the head.

Are you the original owner? If so you might want to pull out your warranty book at look over the lifetime warranty coverage.

A little cut and paste:

Gasoline Engine: cylinder block and all internal parts; cylinder head assemblies; timing case, timing chain, timing belt, gears and sprockets; vibration damper; oil pump; water pump and housing; intake and exhaust manifolds; flywheel with starter ring gear; core plugs; valve covers; oil pan; turbocharger housing and internal parts; turbocharger wastegate actuator; supercharger; serpentine belt tensioner; seals and gaskets for listed components only.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpphilli View Post
Thank you. Someone told me most head gasket leaks involve water not oil. Is that correct? The seepage seems to begin along the gasket area above where the front and center spark plugs are. It travels toward the rear and takes a long and winding path to the pavement. Usually involves one drop of oil per ride dripping on the ground. I'm the second owner and was told no warranty.
Normally a head gasket leak is with coolant and is evidenced by white smoke from the tail pipe. As said earlier a loss of compression would normally accompany it and drivability suffers. Try to make sure it isnít leaking from the valve cover and running down on the block? It'll be pretty hard to see it leaking from under the exhaust manifold in the back even from underneath the Jeep but I would suggest spraying it down with a degreaser at the car wash and looking some more. Without a warranty a head gasket will be pretty pricey with the amount of labor involved at any shop so itís best to do as much research as possible, it could be a simple fix. Are you suffering lower mileage and sputtering? Like Goody said, we cant see it or diagnose it from the screen without some pics and even then it will be hard. Hope that helps.

Mike
post #8 of 9 Old 10-11-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Thank you to all who replied. Short story, mechanic said minor seepage from Rear Main Seal only. Recommended a stop leak product from Lucas due to the low mileage on the engine. Checked with Dealer and told no warranty time left. If you have any further thoughts would appreciate to see them. I'm learning a lot every time I log in.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-03-2015, 10:18 AM

Did the lucas oil treatment work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode