Diff Bolt Busted. Need Advice. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Diff Bolt Busted. Need Advice.

I was installing a pair of Riddler covers/lube locker gaskets yesterday. The lube locker instructions specifically say to torque to 35 ft-lbs. I've been told that the included hardware is weak and that it should replaced with grade 8's. I did that.

I was slowing upping my torque tightening with the recommended pattern, and "crack", I broke a Grade 8 at 30 ft-lbs on the lower hole on my rear D44.

So, I went down to O'rielly's and got a couple bolt extractors and headed home. I first tried to drill it out with a 3/16" bit, and it broke off flush in the bolt. Tried a 1/4" bit and it broke, too, but fell out. On the second 1/4" bit, I got a nice bore into the bolt and tried the recommended extractor for that size. My luck, that one busted also.

I know I was a little aggressive with the first bit that broke, but I was very gentle with the others. I'm at a loss now. What do I do. I don't have access to heat or a welder. I'm wondering if I need to take it to a shop at this point.

Also, there's a shop about 3/4" mile from my house. Do you think it would be okay to drive that far with only the oil left over in the diff after the flush? I don't want to waste oil if it'll have to be replaced for a short trip.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 11:40 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibaster View Post
I was installing a pair of Riddler covers/lube locker gaskets yesterday. The lube locker instructions specifically say to torque to 35 ft-lbs. I've been told that the included hardware is weak and that it should replaced with grade 8's. I did that.

I was slowing upping my torque tightening with the recommended pattern, and "crack", I broke a Grade 8 at 30 ft-lbs on the lower hole on my rear D44.

So, I went down to O'rielly's and got a couple bolt extractors and headed home. I first tried to drill it out with a 3/16" bit, and it broke off flush in the bolt. Tried a 1/4" bit and it broke, too, but fell out. On the second 1/4" bit, I got a nice bore into the bolt and tried the recommended extractor for that size. My luck, that one busted also.

I know I was a little aggressive with the first bit that broke, but I was very gentle with the others. I'm at a loss now. What do I do. I don't have access to heat or a welder. I'm wondering if I need to take it to a shop at this point.

Also, there's a shop about 3/4" mile from my house. Do you think it would be okay to drive that far with only the oil left over in the diff after the flush? I don't want to waste oil if it'll have to be replaced for a short trip.
I wouldn't drive at all without the proper amount of fluid in the diff. The oil also lubes the outer axle bearings.
The new oil you put in for the drive to the shop will still be ok if you drain it into a clean container.

Was the bolt too long? They are more apt to twist off if the bolt bottoms out before the head makes contact.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 11:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

If you are out of options, drill it out and re-tap the hole.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 11:45 AM
JKO Addict!

I'm surprised that bolt won't come out since tightening to the cover is what broke it and it shouldn't be bottoming out in the hole on the diff side.

Did you take the cover off back off and see if there is a little nub of the bolt sticking out? I've done the same and was able to unscrew the remaining bolt with my fingers.

I've seen people drive off trails with just the residue fluid on the gears and been fine. I'd run 3/4 of a mile, maybe put a cup in there to splash around.

FWIW the bolt I snapped was the same one and I was following the same lube locker instructions. I just tightened them up nice and tight by my gut feel if that makes sense and nothing is leaking. Use some thread locker too.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #5 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 11:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Post a picture of what it looks like. Is the bolt completely flush? The threads shouldn't be under much tension since the head of the bolt broke off. You'd be amazed what an accurate smack with a punch going counter-clockwise will work loose.

x2 on gut torquing/calibrated elbow torquing.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

It's difficult to get a good pic of what I have here. There's a small nub sticking out. I tried to gently tap it with a center punch to see if it would budge, but I didn't get anything out of it.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #7 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 12:29 PM
Rock God

Put a pair of vice grips on it and back it out. Looks like there is enough hanging out.

Aaron
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon
post #8 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Can you tell if it bottomed out, i.e. are the new bolts longer? If it's not bottomed out it should come right out with pliers on that nub.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #9 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

The bolts I used were 1/8" shorter that the ones included with the kit.

I've been trying to tap it with a center punch, and it's not budging. I'll try some pliers.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #10 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

There's not enough to get on them with pliers. Maybe have to drill and tap. It's a little off center. What do you think?

Hmmm. Maybe I'll just make it worse. It'd be nice if I could just weld something to it to get some more leverage. I'm pissed. I think I'm going to have to get it to the shop down the road to have it done right.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary

Last edited by allibaster; 10-09-2011 at 01:10 PM.
post #11 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Granite Guru

i would guess it was cross threaded and that is what caused the break so you will most likely need to drill and retap anyway. you can drill bigger and use a heli coil as well if you want to keep it the same size bolt. that is what i would do.

2010 Rubicon unlimited / rock krawler long arm
ome +40 long travel lift / 17 spyderlocks / 38 bfg km2's/ 5.38 gears/ sleeves
poison spyder customs crusher flares/ body armor/ diff covers/rocker knockers
lod stubby ftont and rear/ evap skid/ coast driveshaft 1310/ rcv & superior axle shafts
warn powerplant / aev drag link flip/ currie tie rod/ reid knuckles, prosteer ball joints
c2 gussets and lca skids/ rock stars/ speed bumps/ rk tranny pan/ redneck ram hydro assist
post #12 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 01:15 PM
JKO Addict!

It should come right out unless it is cross threaded or bottomed out. Try lightly whacking that nub counter clockwise with a flathead screw driver. A little WD 40 might help also.

Drilling it off centered like that anymore will fawk it up worse IMHO.

Alec Wallis, Owner |
| 303-918-6167

|
| 888-521-0170
post #13 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I been getting at it with a flathead and center punch. That thing is solid.

So, the best option right now is to drill bigger and use a heli coil? Even if it's off center?

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #14 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 04:46 PM
Rock God

Did you get the broke off easy outs and drill bit pieces out?
Your hole is not centered so if there are pieces in it still, it will not turn.
Did the bolt thread in easy or was it hard to turn going in?
good luck!
post #15 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinjeepr View Post
Did you get the broke off easy outs and drill bit pieces out?
Your hole is not centered so if there are pieces in it still, it will not turn.
Did the bolt thread in easy or was it hard to turn going in?
good luck!
No luck. It seemed like it threaded in easy. The other bolts were tightened to the same torque without any issues. I broke off the tip of a bit along with part of an extractor in there, too. I ended up finishing it with the remaining bolts and filled with some cheap oil. No leaks for now. I'll be taking it to someone this week that knows what they're doing. I'm pretty depressed about.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #16 of 16 Old 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Rock God

Those broken pieces are what's not letting it come out.
With the hole being offset there acting like a lock.
Get those out and it should come right out.

Be sure and tell them about the pieces Broke off in it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode