My front right coil came out today. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-08-2011, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

My front right coil came out today.

So out wheeling today, my front right coil came out. For no apparent reason, I was in no way flexing out to the max, has this happened to any of you?

I have a 2.5 inch Rock Krawler stock mod kit. I Installed it a couple months ago. Im wondering if this is a RK coil thing, or simply a freak occurrence, Im gonna guess and hope for the latter.

Thanks....

2008 Black 2Dr 6spd D30/44
RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-08-2011, 06:27 PM
JKO Addict!

Sounds like your shocks are too long? How do you know it wasn't fully flexing? What were you doing?

...springs just don't come out by surprise.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 10-08-2011, 06:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

no coil retainers, too much droop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Sounds like your shocks are too long? How do you know it wasn't fully flexing? What were you doing?

...springs just don't come out by surprise.
Well, the coils did just "come out." Thats is exactly what happened. I was going down a pretty easy trail, at a small incline, nothing serious, was not rock crawling, or like I said fully flexed out, at all. And my shocks are the same size recommended by rock krawler. I got the bilstein 5100's.

RK 2.5 X-Factor | Synergy tie rod | 35x12.5 MTRK's | BFH front | Genright rear | Yukon 5.13's | ARB front locker | Warn M8000 w/MasterPull synthetic | Rigid 10'' E-series
post #5 of 12 Old 10-08-2011, 06:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlynch2 View Post
Well, the coils did just "come out." Thats is exactly what happened. I was going down a pretty easy trail, at a small incline, nothing serious, was not rock crawling, or like I said fully flexed out, at all. And my shocks are the same size recommended by rock krawler. I got the bilstein 5100's.
maybe they werent seated correctly?
post #6 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

what exactly is suspension droop by the way anyways?

post #7 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 08:40 AM
Rock God

Droop in when you flex the suspension, one wheel goes up into the wheel well and the oppisite wheel "droops" or hangs down. Hence the flexing of the suspension.

2008 Jeep JK Unlimited Rescue Green NSG370
RK 3.5 X Factor mid arm
37x12.50 Nitto Trail Grapplers
PSC BFH trail stinger
PSC narrow fenders

A lot more to come very soon!
post #8 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 08:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBirish View Post
maybe they werent seated correctly?
Or they're gay.

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #9 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 09:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
what exactly is suspension droop by the way anyways?
Likely your spring was not seated correctly from some earlier action and then just popped out under compression on this easy trail.
My driver side is drooped in this picture. Common term for extended when talking about shocks and springs.

Last edited by 4x4x4; 10-09-2011 at 09:42 AM.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 09:43 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Sounds like you fully extended the front end and it came out. They still do not just come out. This is mechanical, not smoke and mirrors where "freak" things occur. The suspension drops out further than the spring is long, so either the suspension needs to be limited (shocks seem to do that) or you need to add coil spring retainers to keep the coil where it needs to be.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #11 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Rock God

Garage

As previously mentioned....coil springs wont just fall out. Either the spring was never seated properly (highly unlikely) or you flexed the suspension beyond the length of the springs allowing the spring to "fall" out of the spring bucket.

The best solution to preventing this from happening again is to install the spring retaining clips offered by Rock Krawler for the fronts and hose clamps for the rears. I would not recommend going with a shorter shock as that would severely limit your suspension travel.

Simple fix that will retain the flex and prevent future occurance.

post #12 of 12 Old 10-09-2011, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

yeah, im gonna get the retainer clips. there only 20 bucks, obviously in my instance it would be a valued investment. Im surprised that this has not occurred to more people....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode