What's INSIDE the tailgate? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-07-2011, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

What's INSIDE the tailgate?

Hey all....anyone ever look to see what is INSIDE the tailgate? Is it simply a big hollow space between the two sheet metal skins? Or is there a bunch of other crap in there?

Reason is....I need to run a wire, as short as possible, directly through (and perpendicular to) the tailgate to get to the rubber grommet that is behind the spare. I am pulling an antenna wire from a tuner to a Teraflex antenna mount for an HF antenna/whip. I am thinking I could drill a 1" hole on the INSIDE sheet metal directly opposite the existing grommet, and then wire directly from the tuner (mounted on the tailgate) to the antenna lug. This would give me a nice short run from my tuner.

Note..this is NOT coax, so I cannot run it all up/down/around etc.

Grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Wheeler

mostly hollow with wires running to third brake light (under the black cover on inside of tailgate then going through it) you should be able to run it without drilling but if you must, as long as your careful, you can drill into it without a problem

2010 Sport
Some lights and other small crap, nothing really worth mentioning...
post #3 of 10 Old 10-07-2011, 09:21 AM
JKO Addict!

I've run other wires through there. Shouldn't be a problem.

Dirty's Minions don't officially exist. They are a myth, a bedtime story, a whispered rumor. They are ghosts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-07-2011, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks all,

I was worried that perhaps once I drilled a hole on the inside, that I would then find some more sheet metal inside used for support or something. I'll pop off the plastic and do a closer look.

Just need to go find a nice large grommet for the inside hole and should be good to test.

The antenna tuner output wire can carry a LOT of voltage on it depending on what frequency I am using....so I need to be careful of path.

Grant
post #5 of 10 Old 10-07-2011, 10:19 AM
JKO Addict!

Pop the plastic cover off on the inside and have a look.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Official sponsor of the Jersey
Crew

"Wasn't Me I was in Sweetwater"
post #6 of 10 Old 10-07-2011, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
Pop the plastic cover off on the inside and have a look.
Just did that 20 minutes ago....can't see squat....solid metal under my plastic cover. Not sure why they bothered running wire virtually the entire width of the tailgate, and then drill a hold near the latch end to run the cable inside...they could have done that near the hinge....strange.

G
post #7 of 10 Old 10-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Granite Guru

Hey grant, I've had my tailgate off a few times and have a couple of wires running thru it. I have the Swag drop down tailgate and relocated my plate to the tail gate. There are some braces between the two shells but there are also holes that you can slip a cable thru.

before I put the swag tailgate kit on, I had my CB antenaa mounted on the tire carrier and ran the cable thru the plastic baffles behind the tire carrier and out the backside of the tail gate at the top where the long plastic cover is. Then followed the wire under that plastic cover till it came to the strap by the tailgate hinge.

Just slip a coat hanger thru, attach the wire to the coat hanger and pull gently!

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
post #8 of 10 Old 10-07-2011, 01:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I keep my winch controller inside mine. quick and easy, always accessible.

Pop the vertical plastic piece off, the one toward the driver side, bend the 2 little metal clips so it slides in and out, and voila, perfect little storage unit. It pops in and out real easy, stays put with no problems.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #9 of 10 Old 10-07-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron View Post
Hey grant, I've had my tailgate off a few times and have a couple of wires running thru it. I have the Swag drop down tailgate and relocated my plate to the tail gate. There are some braces between the two shells but there are also holes that you can slip a cable thru.

before I put the swag tailgate kit on, I had my CB antenaa mounted on the tire carrier and ran the cable thru the plastic baffles behind the tire carrier and out the backside of the tail gate at the top where the long plastic cover is. Then followed the wire under that plastic cover till it came to the strap by the tailgate hinge.

Just slip a coat hanger thru, attach the wire to the coat hanger and pull gently!
Unfortunately, with my antenna tuner output being a high-voltage wire, I can't run it parallel/along existing metal...it could either arc over or capacitively couple, messing with signal. I need to get as clean a run as possible and as far from metal as possible...at least 1 inch I am hoping.

Alternatively, I have been pointed at a conversion for my tuner that some people have done, which will convert the output from a single wire-feed to an SO-239 output, so that would allow me some flexibility in routing the cable and I could use coax instead.

This is more complex that a CB/VHF/UHF installation I am afraid...dealing with high voltage potentials when you use HF frequencies on a small antenna (whip) of 8-9'. Potentially thousands of volts at 100w.

Grant
post #10 of 10 Old 10-08-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, pulled the spare tire and removed the existing grommet on the right side (passenger) of the tire mount and could see straight through to the sheet metal...good news.

So, 4 rubber well-nuts later, I had my tuner ready to mount, and a quick cut with the hole saw and I had a nice opening to run the wire straight through the door. Used a PCV valve grommet from the local auto parts store to protect the edges. I'll add some foam of some sort to lock the wire centered in place.

I still have to permanently mount the radio and remote mount the control head, and am still waiting for my Teraflex antenna mount. Temporarily connected the radio, and made an instant connection to North Dakota on 20m with a 30' wire I threw up into the tree by my driveway.

Found an excellent RF/electrical ground using the torx bolt holding the cargo loops near the tailgate.

Pics to follow up shortly.

Grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode