How do you guys feel about hood locks? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

How do you guys feel about hood locks?

has anyone personally had anything stolen from under the hood?

I don't daily drive any Jeep I've ever had so I undertsand my view is skewed.

My real world experience with hood locks was not postive.

Out wheeling. Buddy has hood locks. I never paid attention and didn't even notice they were there. He had a line/hose get severed on his remote resevoir shocks. Shock fluid sprays under the hood and bursts into flames. The smoke was whitish so we thought it was the cooling system. Run over to open the hood and it's locked. Key is on the same key ring as the ignion key. By the time he shuts it down tosses us the keys, we find something to insulate our hands, unlock BOTH sides and open the hood, it's burning pretty good. We got the fire out and there was not too much damage, but w/o the locks things would have gone much quicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Granite Guru

Howdy!!! I've got hood locks on all my vehicles. Living near the Mexican border, batteries have a tendency to magically disappear while your eating Menudo at ones favorite taqueria.
post #3 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCattleCompany View Post
Howdy!!! I've got hood locks on all my vehicles. Living near the Mexican border, batteries have a tendency to magically disappear while your eating Menudo at ones favorite taqueria.
I guess that would be a reason NOT to get a sPOD. On my TJ, I had so much stuff conencted to my battery (lights, winch, cb) that it was a 2 man job to remove/replace it!! One to hold everything out of the way and one to remove the battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 09:00 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've put a hood lock on mine... I did the Chrysler lock... made a slug and it's attached to the frame... easy to get at, just have to know where it is.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 09:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I got this $20 hood lock. It offers a little security and eliminates hood flutter.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13103_100.htm

A couple squirts of WD-40 per year and it's been good for four years now. Not as nice as the Mopar one but it gets the job done.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #6 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
<snip> under the hood and bursts into flames. <snip>
Well, that is a concern. I have had an under hood fire from a ruptured power steering hose (not my JK, but an old Nissan Maxima) and quick application of a water bottle's contents on the manifold to generate steam extinguished it....

Having said that I am more concerned with the battery just walking away than I am an under hood fire. I just figure the lock is an extra bit of insurance to prevent/slow the casual opportunist thief from stealing the battery.

Here's my hood lock:

This fulfills my needs for the "casual thief" deterrent factor. A more determined individual with a couple of wrenches could defeat the lock with a few minutes work on each side by backing off the nuts an twisting the turnbuckle.

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
post #7 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 09:22 AM
JKO Addict!

I have no desire to lock my hood.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #8 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
I have no desire to lock my hood.
X2 has anyone actually had something stolen from under their hood???

I don't drink water; fish fuck in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Do you feel a desire to dance with other men while behind the wheel of the Prius?

Is it true the car only plays Village People music?

Does it have a light on the dash when you get near a gay bar?
post #9 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
I got this $20 hood lock. It offers a little security and eliminates hood flutter.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13103_100.htm

A couple squirts of WD-40 per year and it's been good for four years now. Not as nice as the Mopar one but it gets the job done.
had the same one on for about a year, never used it once so took it off when I made some grille inserts. useless in my opinion. if something actually was stolen from my underhood, I might think about reinstalling it but I dont see it happening anytime soon

2010 Sport
Some lights and other small crap, nothing really worth mentioning...
post #10 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Rock God

ive lived in virginia or ohio all of my life - never heard of anyone having anything stolen from under their hood. im sure it happens in some places. but i dont know who would want stock jeep engine parts. im sure they could be sold on ebay... id be more worried about someone stealing a soft top or doors personally. ive heard a few people having their doors stolen.

does anyone know of locking nuts for the door bolts?

O||||O
post #11 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Granite Guru

i have yet to lock mine... but have always planned to come up with something. my concern is not theft of under-hood components, but rather the ease of disabling the alarm by disconnecting the battery.

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
post #12 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackSheep View Post
ive lived in virginia or ohio all of my life - never heard of anyone having anything stolen from under their hood. im sure it happens in some places. but i dont know who would want stock jeep engine parts. im sure they could be sold on ebay... id be more worried about someone stealing a soft top or doors personally. ive heard a few people having their doors stolen.

does anyone know of locking nuts for the door bolts?
I know I've seen them somewhere..............tuffy maybe?

You would have to be a well prepared criminal to carry a set of torx with you.
post #13 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Garage

Yeah.. no hood lock here.. more worried about stolen stereo and interior contents than a battery.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #14 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Granite Guru

Haven't had a hood lock for six years now, haven't had anything stolen, I'm not worrying about it. Like Gotlime I'm more worried about getting under my hood quickly if something goes wrong under there than about something getting stolen from under there. Having the OEM battery stolen would just give me a good excuse to put a Sears Platinum under there anyhow .
post #15 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 12:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I had that piece of shit Rugged Ridge lock and threw it away. The holes were not drilled properly and the alignment was off making it almost impossible to get the key out when it was locked. I fucked with it for a while and got fed up and tossed it.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #16 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Coonasian

Garage

I have the Mopar lock and it works great, no hood flutter either, but I hardly ever lock it, for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW
I love Walmart. Cheap shit, guns, knives, ammo, oil, chemicals, the biggest rubber selection I've ever seen and I always wondered how they could keep their prices so low and pay all the "entertainers" in the stores.

"Everything you never wanted to know about Cockatoos!" :
post #17 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I just thought about something................

The new JKU has an AEV hood on it. Maybe I should lock the hood to protect the hood!
post #18 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 02:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

no point to a hood lock for me. all my expensive shit is bolted to the outside or underneath.

1972 Commando on Tons & 40s
post #19 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 02:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

In NJ there's no need to lock the hood, we have the best Cops in the nation here....................

Oh and also in NJ, they don't waste the time to seal parts they lift your whole damn ride and then part it out later.............f'ers!!!!!!!!:t hefinger:

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #20 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

There's a $400 reason to use a hood lock when have dual batteries. I now use a wire cable through the stock hood latch, around the lower frame and locked with a medium sized padlock in front of the radiator. Like BigMike I junked the POS Rugged Ridge hood lock.

Keep yer dirty mits off my Optimas !
post #21 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper41 View Post
In NJ there's no need to lock the hood, we have the best Cops in the nation here....................
Or rather, the best paid (by auto thieves passing out a portion of their take) cops, right?
post #22 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 03:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtux View Post

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #23 of 24 Old 10-07-2011, 03:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to sniper41

Well damn........

Black Dynamite - Who saw that coming? - YouTube

Doug 08 4dr X 6 spd Det Yellow
You are a load that should have been swallowed, but someone as bitter as you are probably would have been spat out. Ahh Dancin Dan
Jersey
Crew
post #24 of 24 Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Wheeler

Had a battery stolen out of my CJ-7 a few years back, and WAY back when a buddy of mine also had a battery stolen out of his.

-Hans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode