post #1 of 14 Old 10-06-2011, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-06-2011, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Here is the link to the chinaman ones http://www.chinasoong.com/Air-Locker-RD88.htm
post #3 of 14 Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Granite Guru

thx for the heads up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

I would have expected a much higher difference in torque failure than 500 ftlbs from the breathless warnings expressed by the narrator. 6900lbft/axle failure of the ARB vs 6400lbf/locker failure of the imitation. So we have a 7% difference in additional torque for the ARB. I wonder how much more expensive the genuine ARB is over the Chinese version?

BTW-- Since you published this the Chinese website is not responding. hmmmmmm

I occasionally buy Harbor (Horrible) Freight Chinese tools because for the most part they are "good enough". I can buy a set of Y tools from HF versus a similar product through Grainger or from RIGID or SNAPON for (a lot of times) 5-10 times "Y". Depending on whether I feel I will use Y more than once or twice and the amount of abuse I will subject the Y set to, I pick HF and spend the savings on more things elsewhere..... recognizing the utility is "good enough". So my second & third set of "Y" tools is often HF or Walmart or Kmart/Sears knock offs than SNAPON or KOBALT or whatever Home Depot is hawking at the moment. People can spout "better than X" all they want, but when the casual user (me) goes looking for "Good enough", price makes a difference.

/rant

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock

Last edited by jocrazy0; 10-06-2011 at 06:09 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 10-06-2011, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocrazy0 View Post
I would have expected a much higher difference in torque failure than 500 ftlbs from the breathless warnings expressed by the narrator. 6900lbft/axle failure of the ARB vs 6400lbf/locker failure of the imitation. So we have a 7% difference in additional torque for the ARB. I wonder how much more expensive the genuine ARB is over the Chinese version?

BTW-- Since you published this the Chinese website is not responding. hmmmmmm

I occasionally buy Harbor (Horrible) Freight Chinese tools because for the most part they are "good enough". I can buy a set of Y tools from HF versus a similar product through Grainger or from RIGID or SNAPON for (a lot of times) 5-10 times "Y". Depending on whether I feel I will use Y more than once or twice and the amount of abuse I will subject the Y set to, I pick HF and spend the savings on more things elsewhere..... recognizing the utility is "good enough". So my second & third set of "Y" tools is often HF or Walmart or Kmart/Sears knock offs than SNAPON or KOBALT or whatever Home Depot is hawking at the moment. People can spout "better than X" all they want, but when the casual user (me) goes looking for "Good enough", price makes a difference.

/rant
It isn't so much about "good enough" it is theft of intellectual property.

BTW, every time you choose China over the US, you make a future enemy of the US stronger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #6 of 14 Old 10-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Rock God

Send a message via AIM to jocrazy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
It isn't so much about "good enough" it is theft of intellectual property.
Sorry, I did not pick up that vibe from the video... it was too much "Look how much better OUR product is than that cheap Chinese knock-off" rather than "Oh, look. Someone stole our design isn't that terrible"

Imitation is supposed to be the most sincere form of flattery. And ARB has been around for a loooong time, I am sure most of the patents surrounding the product have expired which leaves them no alternative but to compare against product quality.... which apparently the video is doing. When the patents expire the I.P. such as it is, is free game for ANY person with the cash to copy and resell.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
BTW, every time you choose China over the US, you make a future enemy of the US stronger.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Guilt trip does not come into play no matter how much most people would agree with that statement. $$$ does. When I can go to HF and buy my "good enough" tool for $5.99 that would cost me $20 from a U.S. manufacturer, (which is -only- ~3x the U.S. price) I give no consideration whether the tool is from China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, India, South Africa, Canada, or any of a host of other exporting countries. Don't know, don't care. It is $14 less than the other tool which means more money for me to spend on other toys.

So YOU want to spend all your cash on U.S. tools because it makes you righteous? Fine, your prerogative. My brother in law won't shop at Walmart because when they moved in, his favorite mom-n-pop clothing store could not compete. Mom-n-pop is a favorite fable of the way things used to be, but for one, I do not enjoy paying $50 for a shirt I can buy for $20 at Walmart (or Target, Sears, J.C. Penney, Kohls, etc.). Again, yours and his choice. But on a budget, I go for affordable.

2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
post #7 of 14 Old 10-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocrazy0 View Post
I would have expected a much higher difference in torque failure than 500 ftlbs from the breathless warnings expressed by the narrator. 6900lbft/axle failure of the ARB vs 6400lbf/locker failure of the imitation. So we have a 7% difference in additional torque for the ARB.
Yeah but per video the axle shaft and not the locker broke with the ARB so the ARB may have held up to much more.

IMO the title of this thread is wrong since "fake" would mean that the Chinese made lockers are boxed, labeled/branded and marketed as ARB lockers which appears not to be the case.
So IMO they are reversed engineered knock-offs that are boxed under their own label and with it allow the purchaser to decide if they want to buy the lower cost knock off or the real deal.

Oh and don't underestimate Chinese products because they can produce top notch quality if the sector is managed accordingly and still do it with a lower cost than most other countries.

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
post #8 of 14 Old 10-07-2011, 08:27 AM
Banned

Good vid. Had no idea there were so many knockoffs.

post #9 of 14 Old 10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
JKO Addict!

I wonder what the knockoff is. The only other air locker I'm familiar with is the Yukon.

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org
post #10 of 14 Old 10-07-2011, 01:48 PM
JKO Addict!

So forget for a minute about whether intellectual property has been compromised or monetary savings or whether we're morally compromised for buying Chinese knock-offs or whatever.

When you buy a Harbor Freight tool, the worst that can happen is that it doesn't work right or fails. Who cares, you go get another one.

When you're asking 100 percent of your porker wheeling rig on a nasty obstacle, I don't want a knock-off in my axle period. It's not as simple as getting another. It could be a nasty disabling trail break with an expensive tow, downtime and having to cough up the cash all over again. Not worth it.

Nothing hard to understand about that, ARB FTW.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #11 of 14 Old 10-07-2011, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Like it or not a broken axle shaft is an easier trail fix than a busted carrier..... buy what the fuck you want but dont be pissed when it explodes and you have a heafty repair bill
post #12 of 14 Old 10-07-2011, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

the link still works for me http://www.chinasoong.com/
post #13 of 14 Old 10-07-2011, 02:09 PM
JKO Addict!

What next? Is Canada gonna come up with a fake JKO?
post #14 of 14 Old 10-07-2011, 02:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnb2010 View Post
What next? Is Canada gonna come up with a fake JKO?
thought JKO was Canadian now. Maybe a US knockoff of Canadian JKO?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode