I stole an M416... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

I stole an M416...

Just picked it yesterday on my way to work. It's in very good condition. Surface rust here and there, but not holes anywhere. It pulls really nice, but those NDT tires scream going down the road. I have some stock JK wheels with some ATs just like the ones on my teardrop that I can bolt on. I just need to swap hubs (if that's possible with the stock axle). I don't even know what bolt patter the stock hubs are. Anyone know?

Support the sport. GLFWDA.org

Last edited by oz97tj; 07-10-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 03:33 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

looks like its in great shape

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #3 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 03:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice find.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

It kind of fell into my lap. Working OT the other night I see someone linked the craigslist ad on my local 4x4 site. Emailed the guy and got a response within minutes. Less than 8 hours later, I picked it up.

When I got there, he was baffled why he was getting so many emails. I told him what it was, and what they normally sell for. He told me he listed it for $225 so was going to stick with it. I didn't argue him!

post #5 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Wheeler

Damn $225 is a deal!

You will need to have spacers special made (that's how I did it) or replace the compleat axle. There are no replacement hubs with different lug patterns available for the stock M-416 trailers.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Hell that is what I just sold my 416 axle for. I believe that the bolt pattern on that is 4.5 x 5 so you would have to run an adapter to run JK wheels. Take some pics of your rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 04:25 PM
ADDICTION II build begins....

GREAT FIND!

U.S. Army
post #8 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Rock God

Awesome deal! And I thought mine for $275 was good. And the ass end of yours is not hacked off!

I am a girl and I have a Jeep with some stuff on it...
post #9 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Hmmm, maybe a new axle and those long YJ leaves I have in my garage are in my future.

Don't really plan much of a rebuild though. I'll just clean it up and use it as a trail cleanup / maint. trailer.

Cutting a tailgate would be handy, but I just don't think I can bring myself to cutting up one that's still completely solid and unmolested. Besides, it's still not 4 ft wide so I still couldn't really carry a sheet of ply or anything. Then again, I could build some sort of platform...

Truthfully, I don't know what I'll do with it. lol. It was just cool. I was originally planning on building a new trailer from scratch in the shape of a 416, only bigger and with a tailgate, but this one came along for a great deal. Maybe I'll still build one and this will be my trail trailer only. Or maybe I'll just fill it with water and it'll be a hillbilly pool...

Last edited by oz97tj; 07-09-2011 at 07:05 PM.
post #10 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 07:15 PM
JKowners Vendor

That is a awesome find! Which we could get something like that around here...

-Jason

:

Phone: 864-437-8029
post #11 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 07:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Hell that is what I just sold my 416 axle for. I believe that the bolt pattern on that is 4.5 x 5 so you would have to run an adapter to run JK wheels. Take some pics of your rebuild.
Close....

M416 is 5 on 5.5, this was due to it's service time in relation to the Jeep still being used as a service vehicle in the military (60's & 70's) and the two having interchangeable tires. Think of it as the CJ5 & 7's and their hub pattern...

Adapters are a viable solution, just make sure they are not the beveled hub type like Spidertrax.

And to OZ, great find for $225....

/

post #12 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Lug-centric adapters can be picked up cheap enough. Then again, JK wheels wouldn't look as good. Some flat OD would help, but the stockers look cool.

Realistically, I won't likely do much of anything for a little while besides fix the hitch coupler. In the closer photo, you can see a previous owner welded a section of square tube and a ball couple onto the lunnette. I want to cut it off and grind the lunette back to a usable state. Then unbolt it and fab up some sort of bolt on reciever so I can use either my 3 axis coupler or a ball coupler like I have set up on my teardrop.

post #13 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 07:59 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Sweet find.... did they just weld on a receiver for the hitch ?? lol

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #14 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Sweet find.... did they just weld on a receiver for the hitch ?? lol
Basically

post #15 of 27 Old 07-09-2011, 11:11 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Sweet, sure would like to have one.

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #16 of 27 Old 07-10-2011, 02:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
Lug-centric adapters can be picked up cheap enough. Then again, JK wheels wouldn't look as good. Some flat OD would help, but the stockers look cool.
I know a lot of people like the classic look, but I both like the look of JK wheels and the interchangeability of running the same wheels on both. Even now, my current trailer has JK wheels on it...saves on carrying two spares.

Quote:
Realistically, I won't likely do much of anything for a little while besides fix the hitch coupler. In the closer photo, you can see a previous owner welded a section of square tube and a ball couple onto the lunnette. I want to cut it off and grind the lunette back to a usable state. Then unbolt it and fab up some sort of bolt on reciever so I can use either my 3 axis coupler or a ball coupler like I have set up on my teardrop.
That's ultimately what I did for WranglerV8 right before I sold him my M416 as he didn't have a MaxCoupler.

/

post #17 of 27 Old 07-10-2011, 11:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

Killer deal man!
hard to beat a 416 for a utility/ general purpose jeep trailer
my 416 is my most used trailer, it pulls so great behind the jeep and still fits a lot of crap.

why mess with the hitch on it tho?
just clean up the lunette and get a pintle draw bar for the jeep
simple, flexible and bulletproof design that works great

I essentially restored mine back to like it was used in service except a modded JK tire carrier on the front for the spare, roll on bedlined tub and a springover so it matched the jeep height a little better.
Also made a metal frame that sits on top with a canvas cover so it looks like a regular lashed on cover but the whole thing tilts/lifts off like a lid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #18 of 27 Old 07-10-2011, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
Killer deal man!
hard to beat a 416 for a utility/ general purpose jeep trailer
my 416 is my most used trailer, it pulls so great behind the jeep and still fits a lot of crap.

why mess with the hitch on it tho?
just clean up the lunette and get a pintle draw bar for the jeep
simple, flexible and bulletproof design that works great

I essentially restored mine back to like it was used in service except a modded JK tire carrier on the front for the spare, roll on bedlined tub and a springover so it matched the jeep height a little better.
Also made a metal frame that sits on top with a canvas cover so it looks like a regular lashed on cover but the whole thing tilts/lifts off like a lid.
I've never pulled a 416 with the pintle hitch, but I've pulled large dump trailers with them and they were loud. I've heard the 416 was just as bad or worse. Seeing as it will be pulled offroad quite a bit, and seeing as I already own a Max-Coupler, I don't see a reason not fab up a reciever. I also already have a 2 inch ball coupler made for a reciever. I use them both with my teardrop camper so this would just make for interchangeability. I do want to make the receiver a bolt on deal though so I can go back to the lunette. I'll have to see if it's possible.

Here is a few photos of the ghetto hitch setup...

post #19 of 27 Old 07-10-2011, 02:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Wow. Yeah grind that shit off.
But if that's the only ghettofication that trailer has then you got an even better deal.
If you already have one of them gold plated max couplers then may as well use it.
I just use the plain old lunette on my 416 and G518.
I dont notice any noise. But I may just be tuning it out. Either way I'm fine with it

That was another bonus to doing the springover on mine, it bumped the hitch height up to about the same as the 518.

Quote:
post #20 of 27 Old 07-10-2011, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Wow. Yeah grind that shit off.
But if that's the only ghettofication that trailer has then you got an even better deal.
If you already have one of them gold plated max couplers then may as well use it.
I just use the plain old lunette on my 416 and G518.
I dont notice any noise. But I may just be tuning it out. Either way I'm fine with it

That was another bonus to doing the springover on mine, it bumped the hitch height up to about the same as the 518.
It's a real solid trailer. Surface rust, but that's about it. No cuts or mods to be found besides the hitch, and taillights. It's got some more modern military trailer lights, but they look good.

The Max-Coupler is great, but polishing the gold is a bit of a pain.

post #21 of 27 Old 07-10-2011, 02:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:

Just picked it yesterday on my way to work. It's in very good condition. Surface rust here and there, but not holes anywhere. It pulls really nice, but those NDT tires scream going down the road. I have some stock JK wheels with some ATs just like the ones on my teardrop that I can bolt on. I just need to swap hubs (if that's possible with the stock axle). I don't even know what bolt patter the stock hubs are. Anyone know?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have contacted the FCC, ACC, NAACP, NCAA..... I'm going to need my trailer back........

Seriously would you take $295.73 !!!!!

Great Find !

The Project is moving forward.
post #22 of 27 Old 07-10-2011, 02:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice steel oz97tj!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #23 of 27 Old 07-10-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muvovr View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have contacted the FCC, ACC, NAACP, NCAA..... I'm going to need my trailer back........

Seriously would you take $295.73 !!!!!

Great Find !
I had a price in mind, and you were soooo close too. $295.74 would have made it yours. Too bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07unlimitedx View Post
Nice steel oz97tj!
Thanks!

post #24 of 27 Old 07-10-2011, 03:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
It's a real solid trailer. Surface rust, but that's about it. No cuts or mods to be found besides the hitch, and taillights. It's got some more modern military trailer lights, but they look good.

The Max-Coupler is great, but polishing the gold is a bit of a pain.

from what I can see, the tail lights look correct
metal bullet shaped housings with 2 horizontal slits lenses about 3/4" tall on each and a separate pod with a smaller light for "running dark" above the passenger side?

Quote:
post #25 of 27 Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
from what I can see, the tail lights look correct
metal bullet shaped housings with 2 horizontal slits lenses about 3/4" tall on each and a separate pod with a smaller light for "running dark" above the passenger side?
The convoy light thing is there on the passenger side, but the actual tail lights are plastic housings.

Tommorrow is my day off, so I'll take some better "before" photos.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode